Range better than expected?

All Honda E related discussions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

bogga wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:08 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 pm (included full acceleration from standstill onto motorway in an attempt to embarrass a Focus RS ;) )
.. And the result?
I probably surprised him when I pulled away from him, I suspect his ego was bruised because he once he caught me up on the slip road (it's long & uphill) he sat very close behind me :lol:
It was here (left hand lane of slip road) joining the M27 Eastbound towards Portsmouth: https://goo.gl/maps/h8EEbbzpqXERtxpS8

M27-Jn11.png

2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:21 pm It was here (left hand lane of slip road) joining the M27 Eastbound towards Portsmouth: https://goo.gl/maps/h8EEbbzpqXERtxpS8
M27-Jn11.png
Ha! That's my turn off when I'm visiting my hometown.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

I’ve been upsetting a lot of BMW drivers off the lights. :-)
Adv. 16" Wheels
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

This topic is getting long and varied, although possibly a favourite for many.
Just wanted to comment here on Wheel size. 17” v. 16” and which has the greater efficiency. It's not about the diameter of the rims, it’s much more about the tyres. See table for comparison.

188B9A1D-FF4D-4EB7-AA5C-902A5A027229.jpeg

As the advance has a more powerful motor than the Basic, which is only available with 16” wheels, Honda specify the 17” gas burner wheels with lower profile, fatter/wider tyres as Standard. So you get “more rubber on the road”.

16” wheels are an option on the advance, despite this table copied from Honda website! As the 16” rims are fitted with 55 & 60mm profile tyres, the actual diameter of the tyres are comparable. However the tyre width is 20mm less with the 16” rims. The difference in rolling resistance is due to the footprint of the tyres, which is where greater losses occur with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.

For comparison consider the BMW i3 which has larger wheels, and narrow tyres. 155/70/R19

In general Smaller diameters are less efficient. And good quality of wheel bearings are essential.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
keithr

Post by keithr »

I thought, why not check out the range by going for a long drive, just to prove whether or not the range estimate and the reported state of battery charge can be trusted. So I went for a long drive today (well for me it was a long drive - I've not driven this far in a day for many years). The following photos are evidence that the range is better than I was expecting! The drive covered town, country, dual carriageways, and included putting my foot down two or three times to overtake dawdling vehicles. I can confirm that the low battery warning comes on at 15% state of charge! I eventually arrived home with 7% SOC (I've never been that low in my previous electric cars). It gives me confidence that the car will do 140 miles on a charge.

The photos are of the console, first at the start (I had charged to 100% but it dropped to 99% before I had started driving!), next at a stop I made, and finally when I arrived back home. And then a bonus photo showing my wallpaper - a photo I took in the New Forest last week. :)

Start100.jpg

Mid67.jpg

End7.jpg

Wallpaper.jpg

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Thanks for your update @keithr.
I think that I've found one reason for my poor efficiency, it's using the heater, heated seats & steering wheel on chilly mornings.
The other day I did a 2.9 trip of gentle driving at 30mph max & only got 1.6m/kWh :(
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Alan57

Post by Alan57 »

Can you please tell me how to get the little car icon on drivers screen
Does it show brake lights in one pedal mode
Thanks
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-20 um 17.09.34.png

Press the button with this icon (see arrow) on your steering wheel and you'll get the little car (with break lights, indicator lights etc.)...
keithr

Post by keithr »

Alan57 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:16 am Can you please tell me how to get the little car icon on drivers screen
Does it show brake lights in one pedal mode
Yes it does show the brake lights in single pedal mode (Honda refer to it as "single pedal control" rather than one pedal mode - "one pedal" does not appear in the Owner's manual even once). It also displays the flashing indicators and even shows when the headlamps are on by displaying a white spread of light in front of the car icon. I've not checked if it does the full house and displays the reversing light and rear fog light aswell.
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:20 pm Thanks for your update @keithr.
I think that I've found one reason for my poor efficiency, it's using the heater, heated seats & steering wheel on chilly mornings.
The other day I did a 2.9 trip of gentle driving at 30mph max & only got 1.6m/kWh :(
Yes, using the heater on short journeys can make quite a difference. I'm guessing it may be similar to the Nissan LEAF which while having a heat pump for reduced power consumption (for the same amount of heat as a resistive heater it consumes only about a third of the power), it also has a resistive heater that it uses initially to give instant heat, because it will take a short while for the heat pump to start putting out enough heat (also I believe the heat pump doesn't work very well at below zero degrees temperatures). The LEAF has a display that includes a gauge that shows the amount of power consumed by the heater and air-conditioning, and while once warmed up the heater uses only a small amount of power (say 300w, depending on outside temperature), on initial startup (and for several minutes) it will consume 3 - 3.5kW. The heated seats and steering wheel use much less power, and more directly warm you rather than all the cold air passing through the car.

I found that for most of the winter months I could keep plenty warm enough by just using the heated steering wheel and maybe the heated seats on colder days. I only felt the need to use the heater when there was condensation forming on my breath inside the car! If I felt cold I would still use the heater though, as I usually only do short journeys during the winter months so I don't have to worry about the range, and I don't like getting cold.
Last edited by keithr on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post