Sport mode

All Honda E related discussions
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Almost a piece of trivia, but I wonder whether you “bother” with Sport mode?
No doubt like me you tried it on your Test Drive, and perhaps, if you want to “impress” a passenger, but having gone through that initial phase, is it helpful?

We know it does little more than increase sensitivity of the pedal response. And although it made me smile on my First Drive home, it is not often that I use it. So I thought I would explain, why and await your comments.

Sport mode could be useful, if you are overtaking. But I find the car is “responsive” enough without. And switching into Sport requires forethought.

And even when I see a clear road ahead, and feel like having fun, I would rather watch in the rear view mirror, as the car behind shrinks to a dot, that bother switching modes.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

sbullo

Post by sbullo »

Can’t say that I have used it at all since getting the car. I’d have preferred an eco mode instead / as well.
Like you I have found the car to be more than quick enough for fun driving etc.
Adv. 16" Wheels
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I’m not getting the car until Tuesday, but based on my test drive experience I expect to be in one pedal mode almost exclusively. I don’t expect to use sport mode much, if at all.
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

I’ve used it once when I deliberately went a long way home down country lanes instead of the motorway.

In general though I don’t think I’d miss it much if it wasn’t there.

Showing off the acceleration to a friend I did a 0-30 run with sport mode, then did it in normal mode.

Normal mode felt exactly like sport mode except with a short beat before the car went zooming off.
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

Sousaphone wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:30 am I’m not getting the car until Tuesday, but based on my test drive experience I expect to be in one pedal mode almost exclusively. I don’t expect to use sport mode much, if at all.
I do use one pedal mode all the time though. It’s frustrating it gets disabled when you use low speed follow or adaptive cruise control though.

I come off the motorway, having just disabled the cruise control, approach the roundabout and suddenly realise I’m not slowing down as quickly as I was expecting!
mike5im5

Post by mike5im5 »

So we’re thinking of ordering an e. Similar to this topic, but is the e advanced really worth it? I‘m assuming you can squeeze a few extra miles out of the regular sitting on 16s?
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

mike5im5 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:41 pm So we’re thinking of ordering an e. Similar to this topic, but is the e advanced really worth it? I‘m assuming you can squeeze a few extra miles out of the regular sitting on 16s?
advance has more tech, as well as more power. (No d)
When I first “Reserved” back in May 2019, I assumed I would buy the Basic, to save a few £000. Couldn't justify the extra, and I have yet to even try the Auto park feature, let alone need it!

I placed my order in Sept, but I then discovered delivery of the Basic was much delayed, and I had fallen for the 17” gas burner wheels that I saw for real on the Prototype e. July 2019.
Because I “couldn't wait” I ordered the advance and I do enjoy the extra power.

However, if it were possible to Test Drive both models, I suspect the performance of the Basic in the 30-50mph range would prove more than adequate for most.
The 0-60/62 figures are deceiving. My car has plenty of power between 70-90mph.

In reality many people are commuting in traffic*, and so range and economy outweigh performance. I'm retired, and an ex Morgan/ S2000/Audi TT driver who is endeavouring to be more sensible in my dotage. In 3 years time, I will most likely be very happy to have the Basic.

Either way, don't go and buy a Zoe, eMini, or anything else.
What colour have you decided on Sir?

*one final thought, and this depends on your commuting? daily routine etc. Others like Londinium use ACC Assisted Cruise Control a lot. So if you spend a long time driving in traffic each day, the extra Safety Features of the advance might be justified. It is excellent, if and when you need it. Endless roadworks on Motorways, oh the joy of motoring.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

Just checked and the ACC feature appears to be on both the basic and the advance?

I have tried auto park and it works, but doubt I would use it. What I do use is the all round camera system which is an advance only feature. That makes parking so easy it kinda means the auto park feature isn’t really necessary!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'm another that rarely use Sport Mode, for the most obvious reason already stated, you have to make a conscious decision beforehand because the switch is in an awkward place and anyway it has plenty of power in standard mode, I'm pretty sure that there's no difference in power between the modes, it's just the pedal feel and probably the rate of power delivery is probably slightly different at lesser pedal pressure.

As for whether the Advance is worth the extra money, before I bought mine I would have said yes without hesitation however now I've owned it a while, there's nothing I'd miss. The main one was heated windscreen because my son had an old Ford with this option and on frosty mornings he was away in moments whereas I would be scraping away and ending up with condensation on the inside. On the e, I can just set the car to warm up before I leave. The one other reason was the extra power but I'm not flooring it everywhere so less power wouldn't be an issue either.

On my commute I use ACC a lot on the motorway. Today I did a 66 mile round trip to Southampton and SPD was a joy in the city centre.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

NewCode wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:03 pm Just checked and the ACC feature appears to be on both the basic and the advance?

I have tried auto park and it works, but doubt I would use it. What I do use is the all round camera system which is an advance only feature. That makes parking so easy it kinda means the auto park feature isn’t really necessary!
I find auto park is a pointless gimmick even though I loved it the first dozen times. The Honda version is infinitely better than VW's implementation.
The main issue is that unless you use it a lot then you need to know which button/pedal to press & when. Also it's useless when trying to parallel park on a busy road because it freaks out and stops when other oncoming cars pass and even worse when people overtake whilst you are parking.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post