Power lash-up, while it’s lashing!

All Honda E related discussions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

rickwookie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:14 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm @rickwookie
How did you close the lid on that extension lead?
I picked that item up today and there's no way that I can shut mine, the granny cable is too thick.
rickwookie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:18 am After a small mod removing a bit of rubber in the lid so that it would fully close over the large 3-pin plug on the end of the Honda granny cable, it’s all nice and rain-tight now. 👍
Rip out the bit in the lid that is just rear of the cable seal (it still has a seal that goes all around the edge of the lid anyway) and also if you put the granny plug in to the socket, you'll see that even ignoring the lid - the plug doesn't sit fully down into the socket due to that massive plastic tapered rear end. Use a Stanley blade to score the block of rubber that is stopping that tapered end from sitting flush, either side of the plug taper, then take out the plug and cut that bit of that rubber block out between the two score lines. Once that's done the lid will close (without the retaining clip popping back open every time). It's still bloody tight, but it stays fully closed.

Since I put it on the end of the granny, I've not taken it off, as it all fits in the bag together. It's now effectively a granny lead with useable length!
Thanks, I'll have a look again over the next few days & consider what you have done.
Like you, I also noticed that the plug didn't sit flush in the socket.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

londiniumperson

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 pm
rickwookie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:14 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm @rickwookie
How did you close the lid on that extension lead?
I picked that item up today and there's no way that I can shut mine, the granny cable is too thick.
rickwookie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:18 am After a small mod removing a bit of rubber in the lid so that it would fully close over the large 3-pin plug on the end of the Honda granny cable, it’s all nice and rain-tight now. 👍
Rip out the bit in the lid that is just rear of the cable seal (it still has a seal that goes all around the edge of the lid anyway) and also if you put the granny plug in to the socket, you'll see that even ignoring the lid - the plug doesn't sit fully down into the socket due to that massive plastic tapered rear end. Use a Stanley blade to score the block of rubber that is stopping that tapered end from sitting flush, either side of the plug taper, then take out the plug and cut that bit of that rubber block out between the two score lines. Once that's done the lid will close (without the retaining clip popping back open every time). It's still bloody tight, but it stays fully closed.

Since I put it on the end of the granny, I've not taken it off, as it all fits in the bag together. It's now effectively a granny lead with useable length!
Thanks, I'll have a look again over the next few days & consider what you have done.
Like you, I also noticed that the plug didn't sit flush in the socket.
I couldn't find any alternative single socket (apart from large wall mount) that was IP rated, so I modded mine.
  • Undone screws to separate unit from extension.
  • Used chisel to remove the raised line of plastic on lower half.
  • Trimmed the lower rubber seal (careful because this is a one piece item than runs around the whole of the lower half).
  • Removed upper rubber seal and trimmed it significantly.
  • Screwed back together.
Now the plug sits flush with the lid locked shut and there's a good seal at the cable entry.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 pm I couldn't find any alternative single socket (apart from large wall mount) that was IP rated, so I modded mine.
  • Trimmed the lower rubber seal (careful because this is a one piece item than runs around the whole of the lower half).
  • Screwed back together.
Now the plug sits flush with the lid locked shut and there's a good seal at the cable entry.
Cool, but I’m not sure what you mean by the first two steps. Do you mean in step one you removed the socket from the cable? In step two, which raised line of plastic?
londiniumperson

rickwookie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 am
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 pm I couldn't find any alternative single socket (apart from large wall mount) that was IP rated, so I modded mine.
  • Screwed back together.
Cool, but I’m not sure what you mean by the first two steps. Do you mean in step one you removed the socket from the cable? In step two, which raised line of plastic?
Yes, I undid the screws underneath, so that I didn't have to fight with a jelly snake whilst trimming:

IMG_20201013_083254.jpg

& here's the raised section, now removed (circled red):

IMG_20201013_083333~2.jpg

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 am Yes, I undid the screws underneath, so that I didn't have to fight with a jelly snake whilst trimming:
IMG_20201013_083254.jpg
& here's the raised section, now removed (circled red):
IMG_20201013_083333~2.jpg
Ah ok I get you now (at least for the plastic bit, no idea what you're on about with the jelly snake thing :lol: )

I've just checked mine and I'm happy that the plug was sitting flush enough with this bit still in place oddly, but since it's certainly not bringing anything useful to the party, I've filed it off too.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post