First Celebrity Owner?

All Honda E related discussions
bossjohnc

Post by bossjohnc »

Well, I quite enjoyed watching it and I guess it's the entertainment value of the presenters that drives viewers to watch it. I agree it wasn't entirely factually correct and the underlying intentions could have been better, but then again everyone has their own opinion.

Putting the running gear from the fastest production car that also has a low drag coefficient into a 1303 beetle with a 90 degree angle between the bonnet and the windscreen made no sense at all, I agree. It was fun to watch though, and even a bit educational.

I had no idea that when the ICE was in its infancy it was the VHS to the electric car's Betamax equivalent, and that ICE won out*. Looking at that now, it's hard to really understand why we've been burning old dinosaurs for so long.

*Of course I'm sure there was some journalistic spin on this point.

keithr

Post by keithr »

MattHero wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:13 pm The farcical trip he took in that Ioniq5 where he seemed to be only getting 1.6m per kWh out of it, and then claiming it would have been cheaper to do that run in a diesel car? The statement that EVs are only useful if you only need to travel 50 miles?
As I remember it (and I have a poor memory!) when saying BEVs are good if you only need to travel 50 miles he was referring mainly about his own experience with his Honda e. And the remark about it would have been cheaper to use a diesel car for the trip was a criticism of the highly expensive rapid charger that he used, which charged 70p per kWh - at that cost it probably would have been cheaper running a diesel car!
bossjohnc

Post by bossjohnc »

That Ionity charger was 79p/KWh! I've never heard of anything quite that expensive before, and sure, it might be cheaper if you have the app, or membership, or drive a particular make, but it did highlight the important point that charging anywhere other than home is needlessly complicated and probably needs to be regulated quite soon, otherwise it will become a barrier to uptake. To a certain extent though, prices like that are funding fast improving charge point technology.

Driving an EV does require an adjustment in attitude. Lead footing it in an ICE car results in a minor financial penalty which is easily overlooked after a refuel which takes a few minutes, but time is harder to spend for most people when the battery depletes. This will become less of a problem as cars start to drive themselves around (as they can regulate their own power usage), but of course Guy Martin won't like that.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

The specifics are really hard to understand.

Firstly Hyundai are an Ionity partner [https://chargemyhyundai.com/web/hyundai-gb/tariffs] so the standard 69p/kWh PAYG rate would be likely reduced closer to the 30p-40p that most providers cost at motorway services etc. Even if he was only using Ionity - which he wasn't because he showed an Instavolt charger he used - and racked up 240UKP, that's 340kW to do whatever his route was (Grimbsy to John O Groats is what 550miles or something?).

I just hate things that are suggesting that they are consumer advice, that are nothing of the sort. This wasn't helpful to anyone with questions or queries. It decided to deliberately obscure the details of the trip, took a brand new really efficient car and either drove it really inefficiently or made it look that way - or just horribly badly - before saying that it would be cheaper with diesel. So people watching who might have though the EV route was do-able, now believe it is not and the idiots who like to parrot bullshit about how EVs are rubbish, will have a whole new list of untruths to repeat.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
bossjohnc

Post by bossjohnc »

I may have mistaken Instavolt <-> Ionity when I saw him charging on the 'supercharger'.

Many people watching may have wanted a 'real world' perspective on EVs, and I think that was probably anything but, some will take it as one however. Perhaps those people might also have the same unrealistic expectations and driving styles and are probably better off not buying an EV just at the moment.

We have to give some credit to Guy for buying a Honda e in the first place though.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

bossjohnc wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:53 pm That Ionity charger was 79p/KWh! I've never heard of anything quite that expensive before, and sure, it might be cheaper if you have the app, or membership, or drive a particular make, but it did highlight the important point that charging anywhere other than home is needlessly complicated and probably needs to be regulated quite soon, otherwise it will become a barrier to uptake. To a certain extent though, prices like that are funding fast improving charge point technology.

Driving an EV does require an adjustment in attitude. Lead footing it in an ICE car results in a minor financial penalty which is easily overlooked after a refuel which takes a few minutes, but time is harder to spend for most people when the battery depletes. This will become less of a problem as cars start to drive themselves around (as they can regulate their own power usage), but of course Guy Martin won't like that.
At 48:44 into the programme, it shows the Ionity price as £0.69/kWh.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

bossjohnc wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:28 pm I may have mistaken Instavolt <-> Ionity when I saw him charging on the 'supercharger'.

We have to give some credit to Guy for buying a Honda e in the first place though.
Yeah, he seemed to use both. And yes, I did give him plenty of credit for buying his e, that's what makes it so disappointing.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
bossjohnc

Post by bossjohnc »

It was Ionity, but I misremembered as he said 70p (was actually 69p). I was half asleep when I watched it!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

MattHero wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:16 pm The specifics are really hard to understand.

Firstly Hyundai are an Ionity partner [https://chargemyhyundai.com/web/hyundai-gb/tariffs] so the standard 69p/kWh PAYG rate would be likely reduced closer to the 30p-40p that most providers cost at motorway services etc. Even if he was only using Ionity - which he wasn't because he showed an Instavolt charger he used - and racked up 240UKP, that's 340kW to do whatever his route was (Grimbsy to John O Groats is what 550miles or something?).

I just hate things that are suggesting that they are consumer advice, that are nothing of the sort. This wasn't helpful to anyone with questions or queries. It decided to deliberately obscure the details of the trip, took a brand new really efficient car and either drove it really inefficiently or made it look that way - or just horribly badly - before saying that it would be cheaper with diesel. So people watching who might have though the EV route was do-able, now believe it is not and the idiots who like to parrot bullshit about how EVs are rubbish, will have a whole new list of untruths to repeat.
Towards the end of the programme it stated that 'the whole 1100 mile round trip took 27 hrs' & cost £204 in electricity (not 240UKP), compared to a diesel cost of £140, using a diesel price of £1.40 that equates to approx. 50mpg.
They must have used a charger cost of 69p/kWh in their calculations because driving 1100miles, using £204 of electricity equates to an efficiency of 3.72miles/kWh.
The questions are:
  • Did they only use 69p/kWh chargers? If so then they must have intentionally done this to discredit EV's on purpose.
  • Would Guy have got 50mpg form a diesel considering the efficiency he was getting from the Hyundai?
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
bogga

Post by bogga »

Screen grab of Ioniq in the film

2021-08-13 17_10_19-Picture-in-Picture.png

73mph and 2.1 mi/kwh.. how did he get it so low?

I drive at that speed all the time and I get 2.9 mi/kwh in the Honda e....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post