Cobham Ionity

All Honda E related discussions
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Did my very first Rapid Charge on Tuesday.

I was looking for somewhere suitable for my trip to Surrey and back, which after trying once already I knew couldn't really be done without a charge. Anyway, as it happened I decided to try the new Ionity super-duper high power chargers at Cobham services on the M25. I thought I would be boycotting Ionity completely, since they want to charge an insane 69p/kWh, but having looked on Zap-Map, lots of recent users were reporting that these are currently "free-vend".

Turns out they are completely free right now (although they seem to be limited to about 32 kW output for now, which is actually fine for the e anyway)!

Only had 7% charge when pulled up to the charger!

I was actually really please with the charge speed, partly because of the terrible performance I'd seen on Bjorn Nyland's videos. I got 32 kW for a good chuck of the charge up to 60-something%, the 21 kW for the remainder. I pulled 17 kWh in the 32 minutes I was plugged in for, which when you consider I went from 7% to 70%, means the car was totalling the equivalent of 27 kWh @ 100%. This is assuming the display value is the energy delivered to the battery, not the energy used by the charger. If it's the latter, then the car after a cold wet motorway run is really only offering close to 24 kWh! :shock: Tbh that would be consistent with just how quickly that "%" seemed to deplete afterwards!

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=9B0 ... AEj1uTbdgI" width="320" height="180" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Thanks for the mini review; these will likely be the fast chargers I'll use as these services at roughly half way between home and my family. I figured I'd suck up the cost as it'll be only a few times at year, but free vend is a bonus, congratulations!
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

MattHero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:17 pm Thanks for the mini review; these will likely be the fast chargers I'll use as these services at roughly half way between home and my family. I figured I'd suck up the cost as it'll be only a few times at year, but free vend is a bonus, congratulations!
I think that Ionity are probably playing it a bit like a crack dealer - it's free for a while, and then one day you rock up and plug in, with no charge left to get you anywhere else and BOOM, "Present Payment Card". :lol: