Oh dear: Honda will join FCA/Tesla CO2 pool

All Honda E related discussions
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

After Fiat Chrysler, Tesla is now helping Honda to meet its CO2 targets.
Obviously our Honda E did not sell as well as expected...

https://www.schmidtmatthias.de/post/exc ... a-co2-pool

Isow

Post by Isow »

Honda e has only been for sale a few months.
It will be interesting to see what the annual sales figures are.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Great news in my opinion. The CEO of Honda had already indicated that he didn't want to transfer an euro to the EU and therefore I was afraid that Honda would completely remove from the European market. Those few e's made no difference anyway.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Strange World. Tesla is the disruptive new automaker showing the world it's possible to make electrical cars, people actually want to buy and people are wondering why legacy automakers are behind in this area - why thay are not all-in to copy Tesla.

Tesla however, have to date, lost money on every single car they have manufactured but due to co2 fine system are compensated by legacy manufacturers such their bottom line has now been positive 3 quarters in a row.

That circus is putting pressure on legacy automakers to make profitable EVs to compete with Tesla though Tesla isn't actually profitable either.
Last edited by Trykpaa on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

You're right – interesting observation!
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

It is disappointing. But not unexpected. If you think back to what Honda are selling in Europe. Only the new Jazz hybrids are below the 95g CO2 target I think. Even they maybe higher
As stated elsewhere, e has only been on sale a few months in few numbers. So limited impact.
Honda also sell millions of motorcycles, lawn mowers and outbound boat motors. I know these are excluded from the Euro car emissions, but it just shows the massive change for Honda.
It’s just a shame Honda have only dipped their toe with the e. But I guess you have to start somewhere
And we’ve all done the right thing by buying one
Isow

Post by Isow »

Trykpaa wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:13 pm Strange World. Tesla is the disruptive new automaker showing the world it's possible to make electrical cars, people actually want to buy and people are wondering why legacy automakers are behind in this area - why thay are not all-in to copy Tesla.

Tesla however, have to date, lost money on every single car they have manufactured but due to co2 fine system are compensated by legacy manufacturers such their bottom line has now been positive 3 quarters in a row.

That circus is putting pressure on legacy automakers to make profitable EVs to compete with Tesla though Tesla isn't actually profitable either.
The reason why people buy Teslas in the UK is obvious.
Tesla have by far the best charging infrastructure.
My brother was going to buy an electric Hyundai, however what changed his mind was an experience before he placed his order.
At a service station near the M1 he observed that there were 12 charging bays.
10 were Tesla, 2 were for every other make of electric car.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Isow wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:15 pm The reason why people buy Teslas in the UK is obvious.
Tesla have by far the best charging infrastructure.
My brother was going to buy an electric Hyundai, however what changed his mind was an experience before he placed his order.
At a service station near the M1 he observed that there were 12 charging bays.
10 were Tesla, 2 were for every other make of electric car.
Just to be clear. I completely understand why people would want to buy a Tesla. Especially the 3 is serious specs for the money. And the charging infrastructure as you mention.

I would never buy one, buts that's due to Musk's approach to honesty, costumer service and costumer rights.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

According to the monthly European Electric Car Report published each month, Honda have registered just 1,000 Honda e's across Western Europe so far this year which accounted for just 2 per cent mix of their total regional registrations.
1st registered Oct 2020
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Last Saturday in a Dutch newspaper a very negative article about the Honda e. Of course about the too high price and the limited range... sigh. The headline of the article was "Why No One Wants This Cute Electric Honda". According to the article, only 298 units had been sold in Germany until September. That was, according to the article, the reason why Honda had to join the Tesla/FCA CO2 pool. No word about any delay in delivery by e.g. Covid19 or transport problems (which I read somewhere). No, it won't be a bestseller, but they know that at Honda too. That was never the intention. It's a finger exercise and a necessary evil, but they did not (technically, e.g. MacPherson strut independent suspension for each wheel) easily get rid of it, as they do see at TopGear.
1st registered Oct 2020

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post