On a frosty morning

All Honda E related discussions
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I have discovered that the rear demist must be very low powered as it is pretty useless 20 minute journey with it on and inside still misted up with around 4mm cleared either side of wires. (Thankfully it cleared the camera area)

Secondly the handles do freeze! Opening the rear door popped the front open however.

I need to use more than 10 minutes preconditioning it would seem (it was 1°C this morning at 6am) other cars on our drive also covered in frost.

I think winter maybe a bit of a test for this little car.

I wonder if Honda will be able to add the rear demist into preconditioning as part of an update?
Ex e owner

Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Isn't it a matter of more preconditioning? 10min isn't much time to heat the whole car.

What's your experience with precondition effect on range? We can't measure any effect on range compared to driving away cold with climate on.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

It was plugged in still so pulled it from the wall I think, as charge cycle set to off at 4:30 and was definitely pulling power from the house.

I used about 30 miles off my range this morning on my 20 mile commute with having the rear demist on and occasionally putting the heater and blower on with short bursts of Aircon.

At 90% charge I started off with indicated 97 miles by the time I got to work I had 66 miles remaining.

I didn't realise it was going to be quite that cold this morning why I only had 10 mins normal pre conditioning. It's been quite mild here so far.
Ex e owner
bogga

Post by bogga »

milligoon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:07 am I wonder if Honda will be able to add the rear demist into preconditioning as part of an update?
It did operate on my car this morning.... previously it didn't (but maybe that's because it was colder this time)
Last edited by bogga on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Oh right maybe I didn't notice, pretty poor though.
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I had mine on for 20 mins this morning and the front & rear windows were clear and it was toasty inside with the outside temperature of 1°C.
Did you select warmer & defrost on the settings?
Also what temperature was your car set at, mine was 22.5°C (auto).
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Just set it to normal, whatever that equates to in temperature, have knocked it up to 20 mins at normal for tomorrow to see what the result is
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

milligoon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:03 pm Just set it to normal, whatever that equates to in temperature, have knocked it up to 20 mins at normal for tomorrow to see what the result is
The Colder/Normal/Warmer setting is relative to whatever you've left the car set to. In winter you'll probably want it Warmer & in summer Colder.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Yeah, my handles definitely didn't want to pop out yesterday morning. They can't have been quite frozen solid though, since they did pop out after only a few seconds when I used the fob to unlock, and then opened the rear door.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Set mine to warmer 20mins last night and rear screen had definitely cleared better, handles were not frozen this morning as yesterday it wasn't raining but the day before we'd had plenty of rain and wind, it probably blew the water in the handle surround before it froze.
Ex e owner