Range + running to stop

All Honda E related discussions
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Review

14miles beyond 0%, that going to be difficult to top

keithr

Post by keithr »

Note that the Honda e was registered before September (it's a 20 reg.), so it's quite likely that it's another demonstration car that has been doing the rounds since June and hasn't had the software update (that was applied in late July and August) that improved the economy and range. Honda haven't done themselves any favours by not updating the software in the demonstration cars. So it's possible that one of the ways they improved the range was to reduce the safety buffer when you reach 0% charge, so I wouldn't rely on my car being able to do 14 miles further when it reaches 0% charge!
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

The Peugeot was definitely the most underperforming in that test when considering it's claimed range. Can't get away from the fact though that the Mini goes about 40% further on what is physically a lower capacity battery than the Honda. I still can't get my head around how the Honda e is so bad in this respect.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm The Peugeot was definitely the most underperforming in that test when considering it's claimed range. Can't get away from the fact though that the Mini goes about 40% further on what is physically a lower capacity battery than the Honda. I still can't get my head around how the Honda e is so bad in this respect.
Rick,
Maybe our cars spend a lot of energy reporting their location and other data to Honda Europe, and perhaps the App has to used the combined energy to power their servers, so then can ping back some unrelated info - like Keith's Rear Window being open, lights on when there are not, and making up an internal temperature which bares no relation to ambient.

And perhaps the Journos use the 3 pin to brew tea en route!
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Pretty sure our one hasn't used any energy at all reporting back any data in the last few days, since I'm not getting any updates now in the app unless I go and switch the car on first (where I see the little car data signal icon in the top right of the twin-displays go from red/no-signal to 3-bars). Having to go into the car and switch it on in order to get "remote" data seems slightly counterproductive to my simple mind, but I'm sure Honda know what they're doing. :roll:
kbjpick

Post by kbjpick »

rickwookie - You have cracked it! - Perhaps Honda WILL read this?
Keawon

Post by Keawon »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:37 pm Pretty sure our one hasn't used any energy at all reporting back any data in the last few days, since I'm not getting any updates now in the app unless I go and switch the car on first (where I see the little car data signal icon in the top right of the twin-displays go from red/no-signal to 3-bars). Having to go into the car and switch it on in order to get "remote" data seems slightly counterproductive to my simple mind, but I'm sure Honda know what they're doing. :roll:
Can you please try this, its works for me after letting the car sit for some days.
After initial app launch finished spinning, try pressing refresh 6 times, total 7times with app start.
Its takes sometime to have to wait for every refresh to stop before refreshing.

98CCE5BE-B205-4C30-8538-5720B73B8ABF.jpeg

RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Ha - yes. It works!
Thank you!
keithr

Post by keithr »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm Can't get away from the fact though that the Mini goes about 40% further on what is physically a lower capacity battery than the Honda. I still can't get my head around how the Honda e is so bad in this respect.
The mini is a lower car (by 80mm), so I suspect that its frontal area is smaller and therefore it has less aerodynamic drag, and the Mini is also nearly 10% lighter. And maybe the Honda uses more battery charge on heating and cooling the battery pack? (probably cooling in that video as I saw a 31C temperature display at one point). Some battery packs have higher internal resistance than others, and maybe the Honda has a higher resistance than the Mini's battery pack. It's designed as a city car so it will probably have compared better if driven at city speeds rather than at motorway speeds for virtually the whole test, and also if it was fitted with the 16" rather than the 17" wheels.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

keithr wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:13 pm
rickwookie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm Can't get away from the fact though that the Mini goes about 40% further on what is physically a lower capacity battery than the Honda. I still can't get my head around how the Honda e is so bad in this respect.
The mini is a lower car (by 80mm), so I suspect that its frontal area is smaller and therefore it has less aerodynamic drag, and the Mini is also nearly 10% lighter. And maybe the Honda uses more battery charge on heating and cooling the battery pack? (probably cooling in that video as I saw a 31C temperature display at one point). Some battery packs have higher internal resistance than others, and maybe the Honda has a higher resistance than the Mini's battery pack. It's designed as a city car so it will probably have compared better if driven at city speeds rather than at motorway speeds for virtually the whole test, and also if it was fitted with the 16" rather than the 17" wheels.
Good points. Having had an E for a while I am quite surprised they got 180kms mostly motorway out of it with full AC though.

Based on my experience with winter tires, I am confident I can improve the Es range by at least 10% just by changing tires. Propably more like 20% with no compromise wheels and tires swap.

I also feel the E is using quite a lot of power for the AC. Some could be going to the battery, I don't know. It seems range suffers more from AC on that in other cars I have tried.
I have had many Hondas and I have had this feeling about their AC in others (ICE) also.

It really interesting to me, that 208 and Corsa has so different discrepancy to WLTP in this test. I can only see that explained with variability/uncertainty (human factor) in the test itself. If the uncertainty in the test is 20% result is barely usable.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post