Average energy usage during cold weather

All Honda E related discussions
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

Trykpaa wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Haaploos wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:56 pm The dealer said the e did not have a heatpump, he wasnt sure/or I didnt understand but he said something about a passive heater(?) never heard of that or bothered researching it
I assume it's the heat pump making the noise when heating is on. Resistors are normally quite :D
I’m assuming it’s a resistive heater and the noise is the circulation pump.

keithr

Post by keithr »

Trykpaa wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:18 pm The E have a heat pump also, right?
I thought so until just recently. However, it seems that it doesn't. See the Unexpected happenings thread.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

In the 2500 miles that I've driven, I've got between 1.8 & 4.0 m/kWh between charges.
The worst cases are where I've driven only a mile or two in cold weather and pre heated the car and also had one or both seat heaters, steering wheel heater and the interior heater on around 22.5-23.5°C.
The best case is where I've kept my acceleration below 30% and speed below 60mph or motorway/dual carriageway.
In the cold climate in I'm getting 2.3-3.0m/kWh on my 50 mile commute driving at normally, i.e. not bothering to be efficient.

BTW - I usually charge each evening, adding about 50-70% charge to ensure that I've got at least 75% available ready for my daily commute, with a cheeky 20min free charge at Tesco each Friday (this explains the 1.8kWh/mile every week).
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Sousaphone wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 pm
Trykpaa wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Haaploos wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:56 pm The dealer said the e did not have a heatpump, he wasnt sure/or I didnt understand but he said something about a passive heater(?) never heard of that or bothered researching it
I assume it's the heat pump making the noise when heating is on. Resistors are normally quite :D
I’m assuming it’s a resistive heater and the noise is the circulation pump.
Checked yesterday. It probably cabin fan noise I mistook for heat pump noise.
Dutchhondae

Post by Dutchhondae »

Hi all. New here. Got my honda e 2 weeks ago while it was around 0 C and was really shocked by the lack of range. Just above 120km. After searching a lot a came across a more clear range prediction. They do this for every EV and it feels accurate for my experience so far.

https://ev-database.nl/auto/1233/Honda-e-Advance

It shows up a practical radius of 120km to 255. Depending on highway vs city and winter -10 vs summer +23. Didn't knew EVs have such a huge difference in range, depending on the outside temperature. Do hope it will get better in summer.

I reckon everybody knows this already... I'm a EV newbie ;)
Last edited by Dutchhondae on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Honda E advanced 17" Crystal Black Pearl. Since December 2020
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

93B73FEA-78D5-4070-84CF-1871519FAC44.jpeg

80267BA1-00A7-43F2-A407-02DDF48E919B.jpeg

I reset my Trip A every 1000 miles, so you can see my AVG
I do use Pedal Mode all the time, but I’m not driving to maximise efficiency. Don't often drive above 60mph. Not Motorway, and have rarely used Cruise ACC.
My energy consumption has increased in cold weather 3-4°C - AVG dropped to 2.7 on my first night time drive this week - BUT if you are able (willing) to charge your battery immediately before you leave, it does make a big difference. My AVG today overall was 3.4 but I was getting 4.7 on my first leg outbound. Also stopped for short 28min Instavolt (and coffee) which kept battery warm. However no doubt someone will point out this is cheating, rather than actually saving you energy consumed, although I assume battery is working more efficiently from the get go if its warm.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

Im getting 80 Miles in cold weather from 100% charge.

With Air con on, its 70 miles.

Have I got the newest firmware?
Number5

Post by Number5 »

Honda e appears to have poor efficiency.
My mk1 leaf has a resistive heater and returns better miles per kWh.
If the ev-database info is to be believed 3.5 m/kWh average would give 100 mile range
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Number5 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:22 pm Honda e appears to have poor efficiency.
My mk1 leaf has a resistive heater and returns better miles per kWh.
If the ev-database info is to be believed 3.5 m/kWh average would give 100 mile range
No 80miles which seems about right.

Heat pump may not be the holy grail manufacturers claim. At least it needs to be done right. Great demonstration here:

Yes it's German (very German😉), but texted.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Trykpaa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:22 am Heat pump may not be the holy grail manufacturers claim.
And don't forget that the Honda e has a battery heater that warms the battery pack up to 25C. That will take a lot more power in cold weather than it does during the summer months. That's why charging the car immediately before a drive helps to improve the range, because it will turn on the battery heater to warm the battery while it is charging, so less power will be used while driving to warm the battery pack (and the battery warming will have been performed with mains power while charging rather than battery pack power).

[Edit] I've now had time to watch some of that video, which shows that the VW ID.3 warms its battery pack up to 13C (whereas I believe the Honda e warms to 25C, although Honda don't give much detailed information!). It was interesting, and surprising, to see that the ID.3 with a heat pump wasn't any better for range than the version without a heat pump. It's still good for the battery life to have a battery heater (and cooler), so I'm still happy with the car! I don't normally go on long journeys during the winter, so it doesn't bother me anyway. I don't mind spending a few pennies on more battery charging so that I can be warm in the car, and the car's expensive battery pack is better cared for.
Last edited by keithr on Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post