Average energy usage during cold weather

All Honda E related discussions
Chind0w

Post by Chind0w »

Hi everyone!

I'm really curious about what everybody can reach with their energy usage. I'm resetting trip B with every charge and trip A since I own it. But I'm not really satisfied with my current energy usage, but don't want to jump to conclusions

So this is the best I got since ownership:
- Ambient temperature around 5 degrees
- Only using heating when needed (condensation etc)
- One-pedal driving mode (up to 50 km/h) or cruise control (up to 80 km/h)
- Max 30% throttle

I'd suspect very economical figures with this driving style even with these temperatures but I can't seem to get below 22.3 kWh/100 km (or above 2.8 mi/kWh for our English chaps) and a range of 107.6 km on 95% charge.

My commute is 24 km daily wich consist mostly of city driving with speeds up to 50 km/h and a short stretch with a maximum speed of 80 km/h. No aggressive driving style, driving on cruise on longer stretches and one-pedal mode in 50 km/h zone.

So what are your figures?

Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

About the same here. This week we had 0°C and usage is about 24kwh. However it is on shorter trips (15km), full AC and winter tires (~10% less Wh/km).

Even if you turn off the heater, it will still heat the batteries.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I do 40 miles or 64 Kilometers per day - mixed bag of speeds between 30 - 70 mph 48-112 km/h mainly 70/112 with about 2 miles at work at 15mph / 24 km/h

some days I get 3.2 -3.4 others around 2.7 m/kWh.

A lot depends on traffic sometimes one pedal sometimes on cruise control.

I just tend to pre heat it on cold days tonight for instance I won't and in morning at work where no charging is available I won't .
Ex e owner
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Around 0-2C here as well this week. I charged it to 100% two days ago and with heaters on it said 112km and 198km off. Winter tires too so the "off" range is acceptable, but it's hard for me to understand how the heater can take almost 50% off the range, but I guess it's similar for most EV cars :). We just have the fortune of having a small battery as well from the get-go.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

I've asked the same thing in another thread.. no answer..
After 18°c 12/14kwh below 16.. 18kwh.. below 9°c.. 20/22kwh.. these are my figures..
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
keithr

Post by keithr »

My average since buying the car on 5th September has been about 4.6 miles/kWh, but I've been for a drive today (about 32 miles) with a cooler ambient temperature of 6 - 8C (started at 6C, eventually went up to 8C) and on my outward trip using the heating on auto, set to 19C (but I eventually reduced the fan speed from about 4 to 1 bar) I only got 3.3 miles/kWh. After a walk I was warmer, so on the way back I didn't used the heating, just the heated steering wheel. The homeward trip was a slightly different route to start with (slower speeds) but most of the journey was the same but in the opposite direction, including driving at 70mph for a few miles. I managed 4.0 miles/kWh on the way home, an average of 3.6 miles/kWh for the whole trip.

I was using single pedal mode all of the time. I never use the cruise control (it's not as economical as driving it yourself, and I enjoy driving it!).

So the colder weather certainly increases the power consumption quite a bit, with it initially consuming about 2.5 miles/kWh but then gradually improving to 3.3 miles/kWh (presumably as it was able to reduce the battery and cabin heating). It looks to be roughly 50/50 increase in power consumption due to the battery heating (it's quite a large heavey lump of metals to warm up!) and cabin heating, reducing the range by about 25% compared to driving in the wamer late summer and autumn weather (with no cabin heating). No doubt it'll get worse when it gets colder.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Left4Cookies wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am it's hard for me to understand how the heater can take almost 50% off the range, but I guess it's similar for most EV cars
Not all EVs are that bad. The Nissan LEAF that I had didn't suffer anywhere near that much in the colder (southern UK) weather, but it doesn't have a battery heater and it does have a heat pump, which consumes only about a third of the power of a resistive heater like the Honda has. My LEAF's range dropped from about 160 - 165 miles in warmer weather to no worse than about 140 miles in the colder winter weather (although the last two winters were perhaps not quite as cold as previous winters).
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

keithr wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:59 pm
Left4Cookies wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am it's hard for me to understand how the heater can take almost 50% off the range, but I guess it's similar for most EV cars
Not all EVs are that bad. The Nissan LEAF that I had didn't suffer anywhere near that much in the colder (southern UK) weather, but it doesn't have a battery heater and it does have a heat pump, which consumes only about a third of the power of a resistive heater like the Honda has. My LEAF's range dropped from about 160 - 165 miles in warmer weather to no worse than about 140 miles in the colder winter weather (although the last two winters were perhaps not quite as cold as previous winters).
The E have a heat pump also, right?

But yes. Short trips in cold weather takes a lot of power to heat up 350kg of battery.
Haaploos

Post by Haaploos »

The dealer said the e did not have a heatpump, he wasnt sure/or I didnt understand but he said something about a passive heater(?) never heard of that or bothered researching it
Modern steel advance 17"
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Haaploos wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:56 pm The dealer said the e did not have a heatpump, he wasnt sure/or I didnt understand but he said something about a passive heater(?) never heard of that or bothered researching it
I assume it's the heat pump making the noise when heating is on. Resistors are normally quite :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post