!Tortoise! mode with 80% battery

All Honda E related discussions
bogga

Post by bogga »

So,

I jumped in the Honda today, drove 1 mile on the slow stuff, then straight on to the dual carrigeway, floored it up to 70*, whereupon I get a flashing tortoise on the dash!!! So ease up on the go pedel.. and... Tortoise goes home...

Was this because I'd jumped into the car without prewarming the battery? It was 4C outside at the time?

At this moment, I have to say, I have not read the manual from cover to cover............. the answer may lie within.. but then... then... I wouldn't get to post on this forum, and be social.. and it's times like this that we need to be social.. because.. It's lockdown.

*Probably
Last edited by bogga on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Not had any problems like that. Sorry.
I don’t remember anything in the manual
I would have thought it should be able to sort out sudden acceleration from rest on a cold day
volkerb

Post by volkerb »

Manual p 138 offers a selection of reasons
- power system temperture high => cool system down
- high voltage battery temperature low
- appears after 12 V battery charging indicator comes on
- appears if power system is in diagnostic mode => have your vehicle checked by dealer
- when high voltage battery charge level is extremely low

In the described case I would not have expected any of them. Personally I would only be worried if it does reappear. No real lockdown here, but similar...
bogga

Post by bogga »

volkerb wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:41 am - high voltage battery temperature low
Thank you manual reader! :) It does perhaps mean it could have been that reason... cold battery, however it's a pity they don't define temperature low in degrees celsius.

Would be useful to know so that we'd know when it's important to run the pre-climate.
keithr

Post by keithr »

bogga wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:08 pm
volkerb wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:41 am - high voltage battery temperature low
Thank you manual reader! :) It does perhaps mean it could have been that reason... cold battery, however it's a pity they don't define temperature low in degrees celsius.
I used to think that it was one of the advantages of an electric car over ICE that you don't need to warm the engine up and you can use maximum acceleration straight away if you wish without it causing any damage or excessive wear to the car. But then I read that high power draw from a cold battery is bad for the battery (it adds to battery degradation), so I now treat a cold BEV like a cold ICE and drive gently for a while to give the battery a chance to warm up a bit. So I think it's actually a good thing that the Honda e protects the battery pack when it's cold (other cars may not do that), and good that it has a battery warmer (even if that does reduce the range in cold weather, especially if you do lots of short trips).

The manual's explanation for the tortoise "Appears when the High Voltage battery temperature is low" is "Your vehicle has less ability to accelerate and may be harder to start on an incline.•In extremely cold climates, keep the vehicle stored in a garage or connect the charging connector." So I would guess, or hope, that when that tortoise (it looks like a tortoise to me, not a turtle) appeared shortly after you "floored it" that it would then start limiting power draw and therefore limiting acceleration and speed, in order to take better care of the battery.
bogga

Post by bogga »

Hey Keith,

I used to share that thought that I could just jump in and go,go,go. Now I know that I can still do that... as long as I've thought 30minutes before to pre-warm, the car.
volkerb

Post by volkerb »

...bogga wrote: "It was 4C outside at the time". Where I live 4 C is not considered cold weather :D
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

@keithr
The important question we need the answer to is:
tortoise or turtle?

Google the urban definition for both and make your mind up from that 😅
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Mr_Helge

Post by Mr_Helge »

It Would be awesome If Honda could update the EV info screen and show power limitation as well as range limitation the same way Tesla does.
That way you don't have to guess if the battery is cold. Bjørn Nyland has the Tesla info covered here if you're interested:
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:36 pm @keithr
The important question we need the answer to is:
tortoise or turtle?
Definitely tortoise. Turtles are aquatic, tortoises are land-dwelling. The icon that pops up on the console looks like a tortoise. Turtles have flippers rather than legs. Americans might call them turtles because, well, they're Americans, but Honda don't sell the Honda e in the USA. Besides, the Honda e travels on land, not under water, so why would they use a turtle icon?

tortoise.jpg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post