Slippiest car I've had

All Honda E related discussions
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

Slipped all over the place today, took me 30 second to get out of a junction in the ice. Slippiest car I've had.

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Which tyres and wheels do you have?
My car was a little slippery going around a sharp corner, but soon sorted itself out
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

I guess it goes for all EVs that there are very little control and 'feel' for torque transfer which can potentially be critical in really slippery condition i.e black ice. I got the best winter tyres for the same reason, and told the wife to park the car if she finds herself in very slippery condition (and call me - I want to try for myself).
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Is inherent to rear wheel drive. The forces are pushed instead of pulled. And as Trykpaa also points out, there is quite a direct force (and/or torque) on the rear wheels at a BEV. It is not without reason that Honda chose the sticky Michelins Sports at the 17". And you can really drift with the e (tried it on a wet roundabout :shock: ).
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

It's been very snowy and wet here in Denmark for the first time since I got mine and even with the winter tyres driving on snow/slush it's all over the place if I'm not careful with the acceleration, but I guess no car, especially not rear wheel drived, is going to fare well driving directly on a slippery surface no matter the tyres.
Mr_Helge

Post by Mr_Helge »

I experience the opposite.

Right now it's snowing in Stockholm. The roads are snowy/slushy, temp 0C.
The car feels really planted. I'm impressed that a rear wheel drive could feel this safe.
If I force it, the antislip corrects directly and kills all the fun :D

Of course the tires have a huge impact as well. I'm running Nordic Winter tires - Nokian Hakka R3 Studless.
I Believe that's one of the best you can put on any car.
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

Mines always slipping at the traffic lights, if there's any metal cover on the road.
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I really tried to provoke a reaction on snow/slush covered roads over the past few days. The only way I can get it to slip or wag the tail is by disabling the traction control and really putting my right foot down.

I’m impressed with both car and the Yokohama winter tires.
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

I must be doing something “wrong” then (depending on optics ;) ) or the Goodyear Ultragrip aren’t that ultra-grippy after all.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Left4Cookies wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:16 am I must be doing something “wrong” then (depending on optics ;) ) or the Goodyear Ultragrip aren’t that ultra-grippy after all.
I think it's a matter of perspective. No winter tire will prevent sliding if you drive the car with no moderation on the inputs. That goes for all cars.

The E is nicely balanced but heavy and rear wheel driven. That makes traction aspects more pronounced so you need to be a little more careful than you would in a lighter car with more relative mechanical grip. Think of stopping distance - will be longer when slippery, and you as a driver have to compensate for that. There are no other way.

The rear wheel drive makes the car unstable when applying more throttle than wheels have traction for. Something front wheel driven cars don't suffer from. Therefore any rear wheel driven car put more demand on driver/driver aids to keep the car pointing the right direction.
If the driver isn't numb to inputs, the car will communicate when traction limit is reached and once over the limit the electronics will correct. In the E this works quite well. Only if you stomp the accelerator it will be unsettled - but if you do that in slippery conditions you are asking for it.

I have been out testing the limits of the E in the snow and is positively surprised. As long as you roughly respect the limits for traction in the given condition there aren't much to worry about.
Even if you disable traction control it is manageable and will actually still step in if you are having too much fun. It allows a proper drift, but not more than that 👍😉

The only bad behaviour I managed to spot is engine braking on the rear wheel, which can cause the rear to slip. I will recommend driving with lowest regen in slippery conditions. Further, when braking moderately the E regens and this can cause the rear to brake traction and step out a bit. I didn't manage to get into trouble by this as the ESP stepped in and corrected the line, but that is not the same as saying it's not possible to get into trouble. The driver can mitigate this by braking more firmly and let the ESP sort it out.

Sorry for all the text and limited English skills. This is a topic that is of great interest to me.