Tire choice for Winter - best for Efficiency / Range

All Honda E related discussions
User avatar
FDAD
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Post by FDAD » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:45 pm

zemdega wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:10 pm
MaXPainT wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:58 pm
Just a quick observation that someone might be interested in. My summer tires are 17" Micheline Pilot Sport 4 (came with the car). Summer consumption was at around 14 kwh/100km but lately it started to lean towards 15+ kwh when the temperatures have dropped.

My winter tiers are Firestone Winterhawk 4. On paper the performance of the two should be similar, but after changing the tiers the ride freels smoother (subjectively) and the consumption has dropped about 0,5kwh/100km.

As a matter of fact, I have charged the car to a 100% today and the displayed range was 250 km which has never happened even in mid summer. I am not sure what is going on but it looks like the winter Firestones are much more efficient than the summer Michelines. Doesn't make any sense to me, but here you have it :)
How do you people get those numbers??? @100% I have 160km showing. Like every time last few month. In summer I've got 180 few times but that's it. I wonder if that because I never went under 0%? On subject - ordered Bridgestone Blizzak LM 005 as winer tires. Will fit them next week and I'm almost sure I will get less range.
The range depends on the way you drive + roads conditions + temp... I have a post with 312kms range showing I believe...
I have never, now close to 60 000 kms got below 3% and It should not get below 0% unless for emergency situations.

This was pretty recent. and I wasn't even at 90%
FDAD wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:57 am
Well, I can show you the consumption at 55 000km :) Picture taken yesterday night.
Given this is an EV consumption shouldn't improve or worsen over time.

Image
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 50 000Kms + ✌️🎂

zemdega
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:45 pm

Post by zemdega » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:57 pm

My average consumption is 16 - 17 kw/100km. Mathematically 17 compared to 14,7 won't give me 237 km range not at 90%, not at 100. To be honest, I don't understand.

User avatar
milligoon
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Post by milligoon » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:01 am

zemdega wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:57 pm
My average consumption is 16 - 17 kw/100km. Mathematically 17 compared to 14,7 won't give me 237 km range not at 90%, not at 100. To be honest, I don't understand.
You have a point, 14.7 at 100% would give around 193km assuming the prediction is sticking with the usable 28.5kwh capacity, is the predicted range calculated on a 35kwh pack?
Lesser Spotted Tiny Blue Owl

User avatar
FDAD
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Post by FDAD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:45 pm

milligoon wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:01 am
zemdega wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:57 pm
My average consumption is 16 - 17 kw/100km. Mathematically 17 compared to 14,7 won't give me 237 km range not at 90%, not at 100. To be honest, I don't understand.
You have a point, 14.7 at 100% would give around 193km assuming the prediction is sticking with the usable 28.5kwh capacity, is the predicted range calculated on a 35kwh pack?
You are all assuming static values, not even 0 to 100% means the same every time.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 50 000Kms + ✌️🎂

MaXPainT
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:34 pm

Post by MaXPainT » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:46 pm

Looks like the 250 km range estimation was pretty accurate since at 50% it was right on 125 km range left. The temperatures were at around 10 degrees, rainy. Overall daily commute around 50 km with half of it being 90 kmh highway and the other half city traffic. Still can't believe how inefficient the Michelines are compared to the Firestones.

P_20221026_074754.jpg

P_20221026_171909.jpg


User avatar
milligoon
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:22 pm

Post by milligoon » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:03 pm

MaXPainT wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:46 pm
Looks like the 250 km range estimation was pretty accurate since at 50% it was right on 125 km range left. The temperatures were at around 10 degrees, rainy. Overall daily commute around 50 km with half of it being 90 kmh highway and the other half city traffic. Still can't believe how inefficient the Michelines are compared to the Firestones.

P_20221026_074754.jpgP_20221026_171909.jpg
It'd be interesting if you access your trip logs and see what the average speed for the trip is alongside these figures.
Lesser Spotted Tiny Blue Owl

User avatar
FDAD
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Post by FDAD » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:19 pm

MaXPainT wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:46 pm
Looks like the 250 km range estimation was pretty accurate since at 50% it was right on 125 km range left. The temperatures were at around 10 degrees, rainy. Overall daily commute around 50 km with half of it being 90 kmh highway and the other half city traffic. Still can't believe how inefficient the Michelines are compared to the Firestones.

P_20221026_074754.jpgP_20221026_171909.jpg
But are the Firestones better at grip?
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 50 000Kms + ✌️🎂

ilBaku
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Post by ilBaku » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:00 pm

MaXPainT wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:46 pm
Looks like the 250 km range estimation was pretty accurate since at 50% it was right on 125 km range left. The temperatures were at around 10 degrees, rainy. Overall daily commute around 50 km with half of it being 90 kmh highway and the other half city traffic. Still can't believe how inefficient the Michelines are compared to the Firestones.

P_20221026_074754.jpgP_20221026_171909.jpg
A range of 250 km means 11.5 kWh/100 km. It's a great performance also compared with other better efficient EV cars. I noticed that my Michelin Alpin 6 winter tyres seems to be more efficient than Pilot Sport 4. But even if I drive slow and without strong accellerations I can't go under 12.5-13 kWh/100 km in a 20-30 km trip. In a normal drive the consumption is about 13.5-15 kWh/100 km, with AC off.

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post