Tire choice for Winter - best for Efficiency / Range

All Honda E related discussions
pk87

Post by pk87 »

Hi everyone, I have just ordered a white Honda E and I can't wait to get my hand on it - but it's not the subject.
I was searching multiple topic to find a best solution regarding tires for winter months (the problem is that not always winter = snow and it isn’t that obvious to pick the right tire).
Main assumption: best range and acceptable handling on 17"

I have found:
  • Bridgestone Winter Tires LM005 17": (145wh/km, 60km @ 3degr, mostly 85-95km/h) - Trykpaa has posted this info
  • Bridgestone Winter Tires LM005 17" review on YT: (183wh/km, 152km @ -1degr, mixed mostly 50-90km/h)
Those result are awesome taking into account that it's almost the same consumption as in Summer on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - and for this I'm thinking about swapping them in favor of Continental Eco Contact 6 for Summer- those tires are used in ID3 and other EV's.

Have someone tried All weather solutions?
  • Continental AllSeasonContact
  • Michelin CrossClimate+
  • Bridgestone WeatherControl
Last edited by pk87 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

I don't know much about tyre brands but I know the ones that came with the car are shocking. I was stuck in my drive for 2 days this month, when everyone else was able to drive through the snow.
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

darrenj1 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 pm I don't know much about tyre brands but I know the ones that came with the car are shocking. I was stuck in my drive for 2 days this month, when everyone else was able to drive through the snow.
Which ones did you get with the car? What does it say on side of the tire? :)

I have Goodyear Ultragrip 9 and if you can truly get 145wh/km on those then I should switch. I assume it's with heating off. I get about 19-20 with mine (heating off at those speeds and temps).
pk87

Post by pk87 »

I forgot to mention that I have been on a test drive with an Honda E fitted with Nokian WR Snowproof 17" and the consumption on these was 245wh/km (mixed driving 50-140 km/h with AC on all the time)
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

pk87 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:04 pm I have found:
  • Bridgestone Winter Tires LM005 17": (145wh/km, 60km @ 3degr, mostly 85-95km/h) - Trykpaa has posted this info
Just to elaborate. Referenced consumption was a very focused attempt to save charge for a longish ride. Climate off, preheated..

Our normal careful consumption on those winter tires is about 180wh/km. Our average is about 220wh/km during winter.
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

Michelin pro 17 inch
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

For winter I don't know but for Summer I would definately go for the Michelin Primacy 4.
Isow

Post by Isow »

My experience of rear wheel drive in the snow is that it’s difficult.
Front wheel drive is much better. A Toyota Prius I once owned was brilliant in the snow.
It had the weight of the petrol engine and the electric motor over the front wheels.
My BMW 3 series is OK in the snow because I have a set of winter tyres,Pirelli Sottozeros.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Just a quick observation that someone might be interested in. My summer tires are 17" Micheline Pilot Sport 4 (came with the car). Summer consumption was at around 14 kwh/100km but lately it started to lean towards 15+ kwh when the temperatures have dropped.

My winter tiers are Firestone Winterhawk 4. On paper the performance of the two should be similar, but after changing the tiers the ride freels smoother (subjectively) and the consumption has dropped about 0,5kwh/100km.

As a matter of fact, I have charged the car to a 100% today and the displayed range was 250 km which has never happened even in mid summer. I am not sure what is going on but it looks like the winter Firestones are much more efficient than the summer Michelines. Doesn't make any sense to me, but here you have it :)
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

MaXPainT wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:58 pm Just a quick observation that someone might be interested in. My summer tires are 17" Micheline Pilot Sport 4 (came with the car). Summer consumption was at around 14 kwh/100km but lately it started to lean towards 15+ kwh when the temperatures have dropped.

My winter tiers are Firestone Winterhawk 4. On paper the performance of the two should be similar, but after changing the tiers the ride freels smoother (subjectively) and the consumption has dropped about 0,5kwh/100km.

As a matter of fact, I have charged the car to a 100% today and the displayed range was 250 km which has never happened even in mid summer. I am not sure what is going on but it looks like the winter Firestones are much more efficient than the summer Michelines. Doesn't make any sense to me, but here you have it :)
How do you people get those numbers??? @100% I have 160km showing. Like every time last few month. In summer I've got 180 few times but that's it. I wonder if that because I never went under 0%? On subject - ordered Bridgestone Blizzak LM 005 as winer tires. Will fit them next week and I'm almost sure I will get less range.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post