How often are you charging?

All Honda E related discussions
HondaR84

Post by HondaR84 »

Hi all

I will hopefully be picking my E up in the next few days and I've found this forum very useful thank you.

Sorry if this has been covered already but i was just wondering how often people are charging? I only do around 20 miles a day and have a realistic expectation of that only get 4 days out of a charge however I'm planning on making the most of the pre heat function on these cold mornings so would it be better to be plugged in every night and charged to 80% or do I just charge it fully every 3 days.

I'm interested to know what other people are doing for a charging routine?

Regards
Chris

tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

I don't use my e every day at the moment, but it's plugged in all the time it's at home. That way I'm always ready for a longer trip or a fuller day of short trips should it unexpectedly crop up.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Winter time I think you are being a bit optimistic on 4 journeys but that will depend a lot on the speeds you are averaging. Mine gets hit as I do a fair portion of my commute on dual carriageway.

At the start of plugin each night charge to between 80 and 90% then see how your commute works out in terms of battery use, you will probably manage every other night easily enough even 3 nights.

A lot will depend this time of year how warm you like the cabin and what speed the blower is at (unless you like driving in a misted up car that is) if you can park it overnight in a garage I think that would improve things a little as well.
Ex e owner
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

On average, I'm only charging a couple of times a month. e is still giving me ~110miles per charge and I'm barely doing 40 miles of local stop/start driving a week right now. I tend to only top it up when I dip below 30miles of range (if even then).
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

About every second day. Only at home.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I plug in all the time whilst at home, my daily commute is like @milligoon's being mainly on dual carriageway.
I use approx 60% battery capacity for a 50 mile round trip with a 10 minute preheat set at warmer, car at 21.5C in winter and in August last year I used about 50%.
I find 10 mins of preheat uses about 3% at or below 3C.

Warning - When it snowed last weekend I unexpectedly ended up with 3 inches of ice over the bonnet, windscreen & roof after the snow froze by Monday morning. I ended up leaving home over half an late for work and used 12% battery (not charging) to melt it enough to peel off enough to drive. I did end up leaving the wipers frozen solid in a block ice even after that :(
Lesson learnt is to remove snow before it freezes.

I used to only daily charge to 75-80% Mon-Thu evenings because I used to be on the Octopus Agile tariff, so only charged at the cheapest half hour windows with topping up to 95% over the weekend. Now I'm on Agile Go Faster (4hr) I charge as much as possible in the 4 hour low cost window every day.

Therefore my advice is to plug in all the time you're home if possible irrespective of how often or much you charge because then you can schedule the times & amount either via the car or the charger app and make last minute changes knowing that you don't need to pop out to connect the car.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

I charge it when necessary. So if I know I have to leave tomorrow and it is not charged enough, then I will charge it. Because of the lockdown I haven't ridden for 3 weeks now, but it should still have about 80%. When I have a long trip, I use fast chargers on the road. Car is in a parking garage and cannot charge there, must do so on the street.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
HondaR84

Post by HondaR84 »

Thanks Everyone.

My friend has a Tesla model x and he charges every night at home even with the 300 mile range he has and free super charging, he just keeps it topped up to 80% and that's what he finds most convenient for him, I suspect that is what i will do too.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

I do around 30km a day for work commute and on weekends I do more. For weekdays I charge up to 60% only every day, and weekends up to 75% or according to the needs. Batteries are happy at 50% state of charge so why let it at a high charge when not needed. I charged it more than 90% only 3 times in 3 months.
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

In very cold temperatures the car warns you to charge regardless. I guess it has to keep some components cool or it stops the battery draining

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post