How often are you charging?

All Honda E related discussions
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

I just passed 1000 miles since September. Just not going anywhere. So just charge when needed. Not very often

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Every Saturday night/Sunday morning on Octopus Go tariff, to 90%. My wife uses the car to commute to and from work Monday to Wednesday, and then it just gets a couple of shopping and exercise trips over the weekend. I don't think it's been on a journey longer than 40 miles since we bought it in September.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

HondaR84 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:57 am Hi all

I will hopefully be picking my E up in the next few days and I've found this forum very useful thank you.

Sorry if this has been covered already but i was just wondering how often people are charging? I only do around 20 miles a day and have a realistic expectation of that only get 4 days out of a charge however I'm planning on making the most of the pre heat function on these cold mornings so would it be better to be plugged in every night and charged to 80% or do I just charge it fully every 3 days.

I'm interested to know what other people are doing for a charging routine?

Regards
Chris
Hi. And welcome.
Hopefully you will get a response from Keith, or others who have owned an EV before.

My thoughts are variety is the spice of life. In general comments here have said to charge to 100% only occasionally, and perhaps only charge to 80 or 85% as a routine. I'm retired, so don't have daily commute, so only charge above 85% if I plan a longer journey.

I do often “top up” with free juice @tesco and @asda etc perhaps adding 20% so I have my Away limit set at 95%

Personally I would not plug in every day at home, only when needed. That's sometimes twice a week, sometimes never thanks to free charges. So vary your routine, so that sometimes you run your battery down to say 25-30%

That said, in cold weather, esp. if you are parked outside, charging before you leave home will help warm your battery, and hence give you a better AVG m/kWh
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
Haaploos

Post by Haaploos »

As advance2020 said, usually manufacturers say to charge to 80%, and only over this when you need the extra range.
Same goes with fast charging, dont use it unless you have to.

Tl;dr:
Charge to the % you need to get from A-B-A, and for whatever else you need the car for. I wouldnt put so much thought/worry into what % to charge to, to try to preserve the battery.

I had a BMW i3 2014 64Ah and didnt have charger at home. Charged at the mall right by my work place(2h free parking/type 2 charging)
I charged to 100% every time I had the chance and when I was visiting parents/brother, I also supercharged probably every other day or third day(to 80-90%). I did NOT notice any battery degradation/loss of range after 4 years of ownership. IIRC my usable battery was 18.8kWh or so, I remember that what I had was normal.

The Honda has a 35,5kWh battery, which around only 28-29kWh is available. This means that there are a 6-7kWh buffer at the top and bottom. I dont have charger right outside my appartement, so I charge maybe every other day, which I charge to 100%.
If I had the chance I would plug in every day and charge to 100%, depending on your needs you can plug in everyday and set chargelimit to the % that is needed for you to comfortably get to and from where you are going. If you have the car plugged in, you wont loose that much % when preheating, and you will be able to warm the battery before departure as advance2020 said.
Modern steel advance 17"
d11

Post by d11 »

Every day, up to 100%.
In Estonia during past couple of weeks we have temperature around zero and down to minus 10celsius, and lot of snow this year - it gives the real range with full battary 70-80km, with AC on. So I don’t have an option to charge less.
HondaR84

Post by HondaR84 »

Hi Everyone

I picked the car up Saturday. it was on 98% at the dealers and said 71 mile range, I reset the trip computer when I left and I managed the 65 mile trip home with 30 miles remaining (miles per Kwh went from 2.1 to 3.5) and I charged it up to 100% Saturday night. The car didn't move Sunday but ive done 3 x 20 mile round trips to work with 3 x 20 minutes pre heats set to warm and I have 34 miles left so im going to charge it again tonight.

So far so good

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post