Charging by timer

All Honda E related discussions
Isow

Post by Isow »

I can get from Octopus Go electricity cost at 5p per Kwh between 12.30 am and 04.30 am.
The question is , do I set the start/end time as above or 04.30 and 12.30 am as I am setting
the non - charging time or charge waiting time as Honda call it.
I find the handbook very confusing and sorry if this has been asked before.
Thank you.

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

I’m on Octopus Go. I set the charge time on my Zappi wall box rather than in the car. In my case if the car is plugged in and there is more than 1.4kW of solar PV being generated, then this charges the car. Else the timer on the Zappi starts up at 12:30am to fully charge the car.
For me this avoids any faff setting car timers.
If I return from a journey and need to urgently charge, I just press a button on the Zappi and we are away
I hope this helps
Jy2020

Post by Jy2020 »

IMG_2136.JPG

This worked for me with Octopus Go.
Manual is counterintuitive, you're actually telling your E when not to charge. Remember to set your home position in the sat nav as the timer wants to know if the E is at home or away, plus set the required maximum% you need--- lots of discussion about this on other threads whether better to go 100% or 90%. Some wall chargers are easier to set than others, good luck.
Honda E Advance Crystal Blue 17" tyres Urban and protection pack
Isow

Post by Isow »

Joolsdc wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:45 pm I’m on Octopus Go. I set the charge time on my Zappi wall box rather than in the car. In my case if the car is plugged in and there is more than 1.4kW of solar PV being generated, then this charges the car. Else the timer on the Zappi starts up at 12:30am to fully charge the car.
For me this avoids any faff setting car timers.
If I return from a journey and need to urgently charge, I just press a button on the Zappi and we are away
I hope this helps
I just plug it into a wall socket in the garage.
Thanks for the reply.
Isow

Post by Isow »

Jy2020 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:09 pm IMG_2136.JPG
This worked for me with Octopus Go.
Manual is counterintuitive, you're actually telling your E when not to charge. Remember to set your home position in the sat nav as the timer wants to know if the E is at home or away, plus set the required maximum% you need--- lots of discussion about this on other threads whether better to go 100% or 90%. Some wall chargers are easier to set than others, good luck.
Thanks for the reply.
Very useful.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

As others have said there is lots of discussion elsewhere about % Charge limit.
Only Charge to 100% occasionally - i.e. if you really need Max Range, or because Manual says Charge to 100% even now and again.
So normally use 80/85/90 - maybe 95 - and I would vary % depending on usage.

And most of us got confused with Scheduling - not sure why they have set it up like this, especially if schedule goes overnight and hence into another day.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

advance2020 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 pm As others have said there is lots of discussion elsewhere about % Charge limit.
Only Charge to 100% occasionally - i.e. if you really need Max Range, or because Manual says Charge to 100% even now and again.

And most of us got confused with Scheduling - not sure why they have set it up like this, especially if schedule goes overnight and hence into another day.
Page 574 of the manual states:
To help extend the lifespan of the battery, it is recommended that you fully charge the battery each time prior to driving.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Isow

Post by Isow »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 pm
advance2020 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 pm As others have said there is lots of discussion elsewhere about % Charge limit.

To help extend the lifespan of the battery, it is recommended that you fully charge the battery each time prior to driving.
I have read that before re: a full charge extends life of battery and I have also read that 80% charge etc extends life of battery .
Very confusing !
Which is correct ?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Isow wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:45 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 pm

I have read that before re: a full charge extends life of battery and I have also read that 80% charge etc extends life of battery .
Very confusing !
Which is correct ?
If you are charging via a destination (up to 7kW) or granny charger then there's no issue charging to 100% as long as you will not be leaving you car at 100% for weeks as time without driving it.
However if using a rapid DC charger, then I wouldn't advise charging to 100% (ideally up to 80% due to the slow down in charging speed) unless you need to use all of that additional range straight away.
The issue is that rapid DC charging at high rates means that the battery cells will be getting hotter than AC charging. The BMS has been designed to protect the battery, so in theory there shouldn't be any problems but I'd like to take some basic precautions to protect my car's battery just in case.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

The Manual advice to Fully Charge to 100% EVERY time before driving makes no sense, esp. if like me, you live at a relatively high location compared with your destination (see P575) you can't use Regenerative Braking to recharge, if you are at 100%. It also conflicts with every thing we know about charging lithium phone batteries, and other rechargeable devices. Also this advice in the Manual follows a section about Cold Weather.

The other day I had charged my Battery overnight to 85% - I then moved my car out of my garage to clean it, and left it out in the sunshine for 2 hours. The Battery % climbed to 87% just because the ambient temperature had increased to 12-13°C - it takes to sense to charge to 100% every time.

I'm sure this topic will continue to be debated. Maybe Keithr will share his experience, and others who may have owned EV before.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post