Home Charge Points

All Honda E related discussions
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

scotty c wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:16 am ...Product TP-Link Powerline Adaptor 25.00 20% 25.00...
This is why electricians shouldn't be allowed near data networks without any training.

Alan G

Post by Alan G »

I went with Pod Point and was fleeced by the installers ,I had to update my fuse board £550 , new earth to gas and water supply £200 , they then wanted an extra £250 above the £600 I had already paid because it was not a standard installation. That was for two installers and a long cable run.
On the day of installation, one person turned up and ended up running the power from the garage using the existing cabling and 3 metres of cable .
I have asked for the extra £250 to be refunded to me , a week later and I am still waiting for a reply .
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

Alan G wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:40 pm I went with Pod Point and was fleeced by the installers ,I had to update my fuse board £550 , new earth to gas and water supply £200 , they then wanted an extra £250 above the £600 I had already paid because it was not a standard installation. That was for two installers and a long cable run.
On the day of installation, one person turned up and ended up running the power from the garage using the existing cabling and 3 metres of cable .
I have asked for the extra £250 to be refunded to me , a week later and I am still waiting for a reply .
This pre payment on all installations is putting me off installing one. In my world you get paid when the job is finished satisfactory, and you’ll get paid for the work that has been done. Not for phantom tasks.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
DanielT

Post by DanielT »

Hi,
the charger I am using atm is a little bit exotic compared to what everybody else here seems to be using. I got the AC7000-AE-25 by EN+, which seems to be no-name brand. (Anyone interested can read up on it here: https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/applica ... charging//)
I have to say that I am very pleased with it, except that the 11kW are little bit much.
What I love most about the charger is that you can convert it to a floorstand.
I cant exactly recall the cost since it was a birthday present from my dad, but it must have been something around £200 after the grant.
Good value for money overall.
Last edited by DanielT on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Nice spam post danielt lol.

Regarding charger installation, I went with a local electrician company who insisted on either detailed photos of the site or a live whatsapp webcall to survey the site before advising on chargers or installation details. Afterwards they provided a quote.

I went for a hypervolt charger as they said all previous customers had been very happy with them and the app is fantastic. The UK grant doesn't cover installation of a dumb socket, only a 'smart' meter qualifies apparently (one with a meter for usage, and the ability to schedule) I'm getting it installed a week today so hopefully all will be well. They are taking an interesting route, installing a separate small fusebox in the meter cupboard outside the property, so no need to come inside the house or disturb my fusebox or drill through the house. Comes with a 7.5m tether so won't need to keep retrieving the honda one from the boot.

Impressed with the installers so far. Cost is 750, pretty much all for the charger and the fitting is covered by the grant.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:51 pm ...
They are taking an interesting route, installing a separate small fusebox in the meter cupboard outside the property, so no need to come inside the house or disturb my fusebox or drill through the house. Comes with a 7.5m tether so won't need to keep retrieving the honda one from the boot.
That's they same way mine was installed, they use a Henley Block to split the meter tails.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I am awaiting a virtual survey from British Gas. I was also not happy with the pay first requirement of many suppliers. British Gas only required a £49 deposit.
With a detached garage, I am expecting an additional cost should the charging point be fitted to the garage since the cable will need to pass under a path. The other option would be a std installation to the house, but then I would need to pay ca £300-350 for a long charging cable to reach the car, so a total cost of around £950.
If the total cost to install on the garage comes to around £1000, then I will go with that option and use the supplied charging cable.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

So today I had my virtual survey, no real issue to fix a charge point to the house, the issue comes if I want it on the garage. To do this the cable needs to run underground between the house and the garage. I measured this distance at 9ft, which consists of 2 easy to lift side by 600x600mm slabs, the remainder is grass. British Gas have 2 partner companies that provide the groundwork and they quoted for 5 meters at a cost of £3900.
So that's the end of that idea, just cant see how they can justify that cost for something that could only be a mornings work at most. Hardly incentivises people to fit charging boxes. In fact it would probably be cheaper to extend the block paving on my drive so that I can drive down to the side of the house.
If I put the box on the side of the house, its only around 7 m closer than the outside 3 pin wall plugs on the same wall, so not sure if its worth spending the £6-700 and I will still need to buy a 15m charging cable, when I already have a heavy duty EV weather proof extension for the granny charger
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Get some other electricians in to quote on the cable to the garage from the house.

Looks like you are paying for the convenience of one company arranging everything for you.
Ex e owner
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Updated quote to bury the cable 2.5meters is £3950
I have asked for their pdf documentation on the required specifications for the cable and groundwork.
For now I will get them to firm up on a std installation with additional cable

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post