EV Navigation

All Honda E related discussions
bogga

Post by bogga »

bogga wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:22 am
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am After using this Sygic navigation app for my commute this week I have decided to bin it due to the following reasons:
Agreed, but it's the only app on Android that is trying, that I'm aware of, to have some EV features. Traffic and Map data is from TomTom, I too have noticed a load of faults, and I've been getting them changed in Mapshare, but I guess the TomTom user group is much smaller than Waze or Google, so the data isn't being updated by the community very rapidly. I was really surprised by the amount of mistakes in road layouts that have been in existence for 4 years plus on some occasions.

I can believe the Sygic software will get better, but as for the source map material this is a real problem for the product going forward.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I had a different route to drive yesterday which means that I had 2 viable routes to take.

I was disappointed by ABRP (A better route planner) and that it only listed a single route option (which turned out to be different each way):
  • Outbound: 24 miles / 46 mins
  • Return: 33 miles / 40 mins
ZapMap (both routes given as options for each direction):
  • Outbound: 24 miles / 43 mins
  • Return: 32 miles / 41 mins
I've driven both of the different routes many times in an ICE car & have always driven the shortest (which in reality takes no longer in time than the longer route).

The reason that I'm disappointed is that I decided to try one route outbound & the other route on the return with the following efficiency info:
  • Outbound: 24 miles / 3.6m/kWh=6.7kW
  • Return: 32 miles / 3.7m/kWh=8.6kW
That's a significant energy difference, not so much the cost but on a longer journey it could make the difference of having to stop for a charge or not.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

I forgot to add this to the list of Sygic annoyances:
  • It takes too many clicks to start navigating.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Not ev specific, but another route planner available at least on Android is AMIGO basically speaking it's a trimmed down TOMTOM app, it's live traffic seems to work well. But not ev specifics
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

milligoon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:32 pm Not ev specific, but another route planner available at least on Android is AMIGO basically speaking it's a trimmed down TOMTOM app, it's live traffic seems to work well. But not ev specifics
Interesting that the Android Auto apps are beginning to arrive at last.

This app looks ok and they state that they will always be ad free, is free to use and it's AA compatible.
Even though it isn't EV specific, you can easily search for EV chargers nearby.
bogga

Post by bogga »

milligoon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:32 pm Not ev specific, but another route planner available at least on Android is AMIGO basically speaking it's a trimmed down TOMTOM app, it's live traffic seems to work well. But not ev specifics
Same map and traffic data as Sygic, which I have found is full of mistakes and the traffic/roadwork reporting is no-where near as good as Waze.

AMIGO is online only (like Waze), however it appears to use more data than Waze, which might be a problem for some peoples phone contracts.

On the good side, it's very nice to look at, smooth graphics, 3D buildings look really nice, the interface is very clean looking.

EDIT: I've made updates to Mapshare (https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/), however they haven't shown up in Amigo.... which is disappointing.

AMIGO - incorrect

2021-04-12 20_17_29-My Drive - Google Drive — Mozilla Firefox.png

MapShare with changes made a few weeks ago.

2021-04-12 20_16_11-Mapshare — Mozilla Firefox.png

bogga

Post by bogga »

Screenshot_20210417-161721~2.png

Forget about it Sygic.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

bogga wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:13 pm
Same map and traffic data as Sygic, which I have found is full of mistakes and the traffic/roadwork reporting is no-where near as good as Waze.

AMIGO is online only (like Waze), however it appears to use more data than Waze, which might be a problem for some peoples phone contracts.

On the good side, it's very nice to look at, smooth graphics, 3D buildings look really nice, the interface is very clean looking.

EDIT: I've made updates to Mapshare (https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare/), however they haven't shown up in Amigo.... which is disappointing.

AMIGO - incorrect
2021-04-12 20_17_29-My Drive - Google Drive — Mozilla Firefox.png

MapShare with changes made a few weeks ago.

Mapshare is done via additional files and doesn't show on the main database until that database is updated with that info, Amigo obviously only uses the main database.
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

I had dismissed the inbuilt navigation system as pointless with the availablity of Android Auto, however after performing the map update, I decided to have a closer look.
It's actually really good, with the only downside that I'm aware of is the lack of proper traffic alerts.
The best features that I discovered were:
  • The ability to find EV chargers along a route.
  • Live EV charging status, i.e. if they are currently in use, though I haven't checked the accuracy of this feature.
  • Driving range (out & return) radar graphic. I was aware of this but I never really looked at it previously.
  • The ability to store routes with multiple stops for future use (favourites can be used for standard A to B journeys).
Currently the only annoyance that I've found are the voice announcements, which unlike Google Maps & Waze can't easily be switched off or back on again, rather than adjusting the volume. However hopefully someone can show me otherwise.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

The traffic stupidly has to come through the radio, I am not sure any stations actively carry any traffic data here in North Dorset? Why didn't they use the data streamed via your phone like it does in my Garmin SatNav, okay it's a subscription service but at least they could have given us the choice.
Ex e owner