Satnav update

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Yesterday I used the inbuilt navigation for a 32 mile round trip journey and outbound it worked as expected however on the return it crashed/reset 3 times.
Today it worked as it should without crashing, I'll keep a track of this because it's annoying and luckily I knew the route but none of us would be happy if this happened whilst on a longer journey which we weren't familiar with and needed to stop soon for a top up.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Is the search function working for everyone else that’s fine the update then?

Still broken for me, making it unusable.
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

Just ran a quick test on my updated satnav and it did crash after I tried to cancel a trip. Also seems a little sluggish compared to before.
Adv. 16" Wheels
londiniumperson

The nav app crashed once on the way home on the afternoon of Monday 19th, then once this morning and then 3 times on the way home today.
Not good considering that these are only 25 mile each way trips.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

25 mile on the way, crashed at about 23 mile point. Just disappeared and blurred wallpaper half screen.

On the way back home, again crashed just 0.3 mile to go - I activated voice command 'go home', it set once, then crashed almost immediately 30 yards to go. Not happy bunny :|

Whilst it was working OK, I did notice there were more blue landmarks (?) than before, A40's annoyingly keep changing average speed limit correctly shown, some bypass appeared. Search function seemed fine too.

Is there any way that we could report/complain to Garmin...? There is 'contact us' e-mail option but it asks Serial number - how can I find this? Also, just after I updated, Garmin express showed 'all up to date' but now if I open it it says 'update available' but the version seems the same so I shall ignore it - correct? I won't do anything till somebody tells me to!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
londiniumperson

I dropped my car off at Honda for the safety recall yesterday and mentioned that the Garmin navigation software repeatedly crashes and I have just been advised by the Honda dealer that Garmin have confirmed that there's an issue and they will provide an update to resolve the issue, though no ETA.
Therefore if you've updated then I'd suggest that you contact your dealer and mention that you've updated the Garmin software and ask them to formally log this and advise you as soon as Garmin publish an updated version.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Thank you londiniumperson, I contacted my dealership but they said they were not aware of this but promised me to investigate further :roll: If your dealership update info with you can you share it here??

Meanwhile Garmin support (looks like based in Southampton, UK) replied my query e-mail I sent after I found Garmin version info from my e. They sounds like not aware of this issue (yet?).

quote>>
Thank you for your email. We want to help. To look into this further can you please go ahead and confirm some further details for us please:
Please from the express page select the device and see if there is a link that says map options if it does please use that to reinstall the maps on the device and see if the issues continue. If the crashing does continue is there any chance you can confirm if there is any pattern say if it happens at a certain junction or when something happens on screen?

Can you please also provide us with the folder your Honda makes when trying to update via the USB? Please insure that it is zipped. It would also be appreciated if you could get someone if possible to record the navigation showing the crash.

With confirmation of these details we can look to provide the best next steps.
<<unquote

So I did send them zip file, and reinstalled via 'option', very quick to download, then uploaded to my e, which took 5min or so - and it went beyond 100% :lol: , to about 146%. All done, but I will only do long trip next Tuesday so wait and see, I'm not holding my breath.

I put all my favorite destination on the Google map & Zap so I can live without e's nav for the time being.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
londiniumperson

The 1st line support of any company will be the last to be told of known issues within any company, so it's not surprising that you've been told this by Garmin support. Their communications department will be keeping this under wraps as much as possible because an update that has impacted sat navs across a broad range of car manufacturers will severely harm their reputation.

I was verbally advised that the Garmin issue is not Honda specific and impacts other Garmin car sat navs in other makes of car. Here's the extract from my paperwork provided by the dealer for those that doubt me:

IMG_20210424_110447.jpg

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

The update didn't go well and now my Honda e has a bricked Satnav system (just as well I use Google or Apple Maps on Carplay). Trying to enter the destination, the App only allows the first letter to be typed. Thereafter it refuses all further input until it crashes after about 10 mins. Very disappointing performance.

IMG_5144.jpg

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Maybe this topic title should be renamed to DO NOT DO SAT NAV UPDATE!
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post