Journalist buys Honda e!

All Honda E related discussions
pburgess

Post by pburgess »

It's not often you get motoring journalists spending their own money on a new car, but last August I did.

If you are interested, here's a link to my ongoing ownership reports:

https://www.motoringelectric.com/review ... term-test/

Peter Burgess

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Some interesting technical info on your report especially concerning the 12v battery cheers 👍
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Thanks for publishing Honda's responses, however in my opinion Honda UK's reputation is sliding (if not already) into the gutter.

Firmware and software updates – when will they happen? Will they be over the air, like a Tesla?
Yes, over the air.
I don't believe Honda's answer to this question, I doubt that you'll find a single person that has had an OTA update.
I have had 2 updates performed, both of which had to be performed in person on the Honda dealership, only one was safety related so I can understand the reasoning for that one.

What is the car’s gross versus usable battery capacity?
The Honda e’s battery capacity is 35.5kWh.

No full answer on the battery question I see.

The Honda e was originally advertised as being capable of 100kW CCS charging. This does not seem to have been carried through to the cars delivered.
The Honda e is capable of using 100kW CCS charge points. The maximum charging power depends on the maximum charging current, which again is limited by battery condition, temperature, state of charge and so on, to maintain durability.
In the real world, charging power might reach a maximum of 60-70kW, but only for a short time. The car will, on average, be charging at around 50kW.

Another question not adequately answered & the the use of the word 'might' to bend the truth!
Show me one person in Europe that has seen the Honda e charge at a rate above 50kW.
It's utterly pointless quoting 'The Honda e is capable of using 100kW CCS charge points.', they could as well have stated 'The Honda e is capable of using 100000kW CCS charge points.'.

Are special precautions needed to stop the 12v battery going flat? A few owners report this.
If the vehicle system is not switched on, the 12v battery is not charged by the high voltage battery. To make this happen, ignition must be on (the car saying ‘READY’) and the seatbelt fastened. This prevents the system shutting down and the 12v battery is charged by the high voltage system.
If only the ignition is activated, the 12v battery is not charged by the high voltage system and might run flat. The car will therefore ask to shut down the system to save battery power. However, if this is rejected and the Auto Power Off mode is cancelled, the 12V battery power is consumed without being charged and will go flat after a while.

A factually inaccurate statement. I know because my 12v battery went flat moments after unlocking the car & I had to call out the Honda breakdown assistance, also there is a Honda bulletin that 'fixes' a 12v battery issue.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

Peter,
There have been reports of a known switch issue, therefore I'd suggest contacting your dealer with regards the window if it is repeatable:
Unless, that is, I go mad at the occasional clunking of the front passenger window. It lowers a touch in the frameless doors when they are opened, but then repeatedly tries to go back up when the door is shut. It must be a sensor problem somewhere.
As for:
At home I have had smart meters installed in anticipation of Honda’s vehicle-to-grid charging system being installed. It has been delayed, but the promise is that there’s now not long to wait.
Who promised V2G for the Honda e being imminent?
I think that you are misinformed & going to be sorely disappointed if you expect V2G to be available in the UK. This was one reason that I purchased my e, but it seems to be vapourware, with no evidence to prove otherwise.
Number5

Post by Number5 »

Has anyone asked Honda how the wltp range figure was arrived at?
In the e brochure the operantional efficiency is 17.8kW/100km (3.5 m/kW).
200km (124 miles) would use use 35.6kW.
50% of my Kona 64 will cover 140 without trying, something my e can't get close to when trying!
londiniumperson

Number5 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:55 am Has anyone asked Honda how the wltp range figure was arrived at?
In the e brochure the operantional efficiency is 17.8kW/100km (3.5 m/kW).
200km (124 miles) would use use 35.6kW.
50% of my Kona 64 will cover 140 without trying, something my e can't get close to when trying!
Have you read Peter Burgess' (pburgess) article?
pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Honda tells me that the Vehicle to Grid service – e:PROGRESS – can be booked in for fitment now. This is not yet Honda's own branded product, which follows in "June", though this has been postponed already several times.

Both will use Octopus Energy, in a similar way Octopus already have established with the Nissan Leaf.

Watch this space. I am getting an early Honda branded V2G as soon as it's up and running. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it:

https://www.honda-eprogress.co.uk/
londiniumperson

pburgess wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm Honda tells me that the Vehicle to Grid service – e:PROGRESS – can be booked in for fitment now. This is not yet Honda's own branded product, which follows in "June", though this has been postponed already several times.

Both will use Octopus Energy, in a similar way Octopus already have established with the Nissan Leaf.

Watch this space. I am getting an early Honda branded V2G as soon as it's up and running. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it:

https://www.honda-eprogress.co.uk/
In the UK e:PROGRESS isn't V2G, its the same as idea as the Ohme but with the ability to communicate back to the car and know how much charge the car has, so that it can schedule the cheapest time to charge.

I'd love to know where it's written that there's a Honda V2G service or even better speak to the same Honda person that told you that it'll be available in the UK.
Number5

Post by Number5 »

Yes I did read.
WLTP ranges in theory should give a good indication of how the car performs in relation to other makes/models and not necessarily realised out of test conditions.
The e's efficiency is not in the same place as its peers. I agree, great to drive and the interior is a breath of fresh air.
I have three electric cars and the e's cannot approach the other 2 in generating efficiency. My mark 1 leaf can still achieve 5 m/kW, Something the e can't do unless you drive like a moving road block.
Kona and e on same 31 trip below:
Ambient temp 13°C, honda returned 3.6m/kWh with heating/AC off.
Kona returned 4.3 m/kWh with heating and air con on. Both from cold.
Same trip, identical drives.
I think Honda have placed battery care far higher in priority than range. On short trips you lose so much trying to get the battery into operating temp range. I would expect on alot of short trips the temp is not met by the time you stop, why bother to heat, this happens when you drive.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

pburgess wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:51 pm Honda tells me that the Vehicle to Grid service – e:PROGRESS – can be booked in for fitment now.
I very much doubt they're claiming that e:PROGRESS is V2G, because it isn't. The CCS standard won't be supporting V2G until 2025 at the earliest unfortunately.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post