Mild vs Cold weather range is night vs day.

All Honda E related discussions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Have you set the Vehicle Interval (item 6) to maximum, it should brake very early leaving a large gap to the vehicle in front if it is:

Page429.png

2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

It’s not so much the gap, more the lack of any progressiveness in the braking. The car carries on full whack and then brakes really hard at the last minute. That’s not how I like to drive! It means you’re relying 100% on the car actually braking, and no other car suddenly cutting in for example. You have very little time to intervene if the car gets it wrong. Considering the Honda e will happily try to automagically reverse park right over another car, I certainly don’t trust the driver assistance features enough to be comfortable with its penchant for very late braking!
londiniumperson

I think I understand what you mean, the braking is rather aggressive especially in heavy traffic, but it's ok on a clear road.
If you're in a moving line of traffic and enable the ACC at the distance where the dash shows the car in front at a safe distance them the Honda isn't too bad at keeping this gap whilst maintaining a smooth drive, assuming that the driver in front keeps up a steady speed and isn't constantly driving faster/slower like a lot do. However if you enable it close to the car in front it will initially brake hard & if you enable with a large gap between you and the car in front, then when your car catches up with them it also brakes firmly rather than backing off in anticipation like any good driver would.
Either way if you set the gap to the 3rd bar then it leaves a gap of about 2 seconds (more on the 4th bar), so plenty of space.
As for cars cutting in, I've tested it by not reacting on purpose & it's not too bad because it realises and if they then accelerate away from you (which can happen if they cut in from a slip road) the car doesn't brake, however if they slow down and you as a driver do nothing then it'll brake very aggressively, which is not surprising. If a car cuts in irrespective of whether ACC is on or off, the onous is on the driver to respond, not leave it to the safety system.
Personally I find that I have plenty of time to intervene with ACC on because I don't switch off & I'm still 'driving' and aware of the other cars around me (not just in front), with my foot always covering the accelerator or brake pedal it's very easy to either cancel ACC or touch the left paddle way before the car reacts which ensures a smooth drive.
The issue is not so much with the car, but the dangerous/inconsiderate driving of others because if they drove safely then the car wouldn't have to react in the manner that it does.

This final sentence below isn't a dig at anyone on here, just a generalised rant/observation on the world of driving as a whole:
Some people don't seem to realise that these driver aids are just that, aids and not a substitute for taking responsibility for their driving and in my experience, also responsibility for other people's poor driving standards if you don't want multiple collisions on every single journey.
ajms0288

Post by ajms0288 »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 am I think I understand what you mean, the braking is rather aggressive especially in heavy traffic, but it's ok on a clear road.
If you're in a moving line of traffic and enable the ACC at the distance where the dash shows the car in front at a safe distance them the Honda isn't too bad at keeping this gap whilst maintaining a smooth drive, assuming that the driver in front keeps up a steady speed and isn't constantly driving faster/slower like a lot do. However if you enable it close to the car in front it will initially brake hard & if you enable with a large gap between you and the car in front, then when your car catches up with them it also brakes firmly rather than backing off in anticipation like any good driver would.
Either way if you set the gap to the 3rd bar then it leaves a gap of about 2 seconds (more on the 4th bar), so plenty of space.
As for cars cutting in, I've tested it by not reacting on purpose & it's not too bad because it realises and if they then accelerate away from you (which can happen if they cut in from a slip road) the car doesn't brake, however if they slow down and you as a driver do nothing then it'll brake very aggressively, which is not surprising. If a car cuts in irrespective of whether ACC is on or off, the onous is on the driver to respond, not leave it to the safety system.
Personally I find that I have plenty of time to intervene with ACC on because I don't switch off & I'm still 'driving' and aware of the other cars around me (not just in front), with my foot always covering the accelerator or brake pedal it's very easy to either cancel ACC or touch the left paddle way before the car reacts which ensures a smooth drive.

The issue is not so much with the car, but the dangerous/inconsiderate driving of others because if they drove safely then the car wouldn't have to react in the manner that it does.

This final sentence below isn't a dig at anyone on here, just a generalised rant/observation on the world of driving as a whole:
Some people don't seem to realise that these driver aids are just that, aids and not a substitute for taking responsibility for their driving and in my experience, also responsibility for other people's poor driving standards if you don't want multiple collisions on every single journey.
All good thinking, it’s taken me a long time to come to grips with ACC, despite it being my most wanted feature on ‘my next car’ but I’m getting pretty good at managing the Honda’s idiosyncrasies. Still fed up with Single pedal control not being default like my Kangoo, so switching straight to SPC after ACC often is a bit clumsy.
Still adore this gorgeous little car though.
Blue Advance 17in. Delivered 11th March 2021. Love it. 1900 miles 3.4m/kWh
Kangoo ZE delivered 1st April 2021. No AC, old school but £150/month plus VAT. 2600 miles 3.9m/kWh
Highanddry

Post by Highanddry »

All interesting comments indeed, thanks everyone.
So far just running the ACC on the shortest distance only guess it can give a smoother more efficient drive then if setting it longer distance and maybe improve smoothness of the drive if you toggle more proactively , will do some experimenting next then.
Yes switching between ACC and SPC is at least clumsy indeed to me when say coming off the highway reaching below the new armrest for that button, definitely room for improvement here and wish SPC was default as well.
Coming back to range, just below 200 km for a full tank after owning since March is definitely a pleasant surprise and adding to the general “spring high” feeling of the moment!
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

The car should allow you to set it in any mode you like and turn back on in that state. I hope this was one of the things that was discussed at the recent owner experience meetings, after all this is something that effects the experience. Yes it's simple enough to switch various modes of operation and while it doesn't bother me I can appreciate that it does niggle a lot of people.

Why is it that what ever mode of cruise or lim it is left in it defaults in that mode next time you power on (not active though) but other things switch to Honda knows best?.

It's not very intelligent use of the software capabilities.

If you like driving in a particular setup then it ideally should allow you to start up that way.
Ex e owner
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Just to clarify my issue with the ACC, it’s not so much an issue of other drivers cutting in or braking hard - it’s more about cruising along for example with the ACC set to 70 MPH, with no cars ahead, and then when you finally come up to slower or stationary vehicles, the car doesn’t seem to detect this (perhaps the radar only has a short range?) and so instead of progressively slowing the car to an appropriate speed for the cars ahead, it just carries on until it get scary, and to be honest I nearly always end up braking hard manually because I’m clever sure if the car’s going to stop at all.
londiniumperson

Highanddry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:48 am Yes switching between ACC and SPC is at least clumsy indeed to me when say coming off the highway reaching below the new armrest for that button, definitely room for improvement here and wish SPC was default as well.
Coming back to range, just below 200 km for a full tank after owning since March is definitely a pleasant surprise and adding to the general “spring high” feeling of the moment!
In that circumstance I pull on the left paddle to deactivate ACC and increase regen braking when leaving the highway & then if I want to use SPC, I use the button at an appropriate point afterwards which gives a smooth transition rather than switching directly from ACC to SPC.
ajms0288

Post by ajms0288 »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:27 pm
Highanddry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:48 am Yes switching between ACC and SPC is at least clumsy indeed to me when say coming off the highway reaching below the new armrest for that button, definitely room for improvement here and wish SPC was default as well.
In that circumstance I pull on the left paddle to deactivate ACC and increase regen braking when leaving the highway & then if I want to use SPC, I use the button at an appropriate point afterwards which gives a smooth transition rather than switching directly from ACC to SPC.
I’ve started to do this too, smoother than just straight from ACC to SPC, sometimes just cancelling ACC using the er cancel button then using SPC as a brake just at the right distance but leaving it on until ACC is appropriate again. Good technique Londiniumperson. You would make a good Northerner 😉
Blue Advance 17in. Delivered 11th March 2021. Love it. 1900 miles 3.4m/kWh
Kangoo ZE delivered 1st April 2021. No AC, old school but £150/month plus VAT. 2600 miles 3.9m/kWh
Highanddry

Post by Highanddry »

I now tried the “Londinium Leftpaddling Technique” and it is great :D

It keeps both hands on the steering wheel and makes any deacceleration more controlled and adaptable to the situation… (curvature, road surface…). Very much recommended.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post