Mild vs Cold weather range is night vs day.

All Honda E related discussions
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Can’t believe just how different the range is with even the slightly mild weather we've had this week compared to the mostly winter driving we’re used to since we first got the car.

Did a drive from St Albans to Guildford this week. 95 mile round trip nearly all motorway driving. Left in the morning with a full charge and got home with about 32% left!

sbullo

Post by sbullo »

Blimey! What sort of speeds we’re doing on the motorway?
Adv. 16" Wheels
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Was the HVAC off or driving below the speed limit or both?
My 52mile round trip yesterday used 53% of battery & was driving around 65-70mph most of the way.
It would be nice to see the average and max speed from the app journey list.

Outbound:

IMG_20210513_200147.jpg

Return:

IMG_20210513_200126.jpg

Last edited by londiniumperson on Thu May 13, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

95mile or km?
Unless you were towed there’s just no way with this car.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

The car was charged to 100% and the climate system pre-heated for 30 mins before the morning departure.
Didn’t go above 65 MPH - this was the M25 western section after all! Based on it taking just over an hour and 20 mins to get there, the average speed must have been about 35 MPH (classic M25).
The climate system was switched off for the entire journey, no heated seats, steering wheel or windows.
I did have my phone plugged-in and I was using CarPlay including audio playback.
Arrived in Guildford (47 miles) with car showing 66% remaining and trip consumption of 4.6 miles/kWh!
This would also suggest a usable capacity that day of 30.05 kWh, which, while still a large 15% below gross, is better than the 20% below gross I’m used to getting.
I’ve no idea how I got the 4.6 btw, since I usually would struggle to get about 3.5 on cold motorway drives.
The only thing different other than the mild weather (which is what I considered the main reason) is that I did the entire drive in one-pedal mode as an experiment. Previously I would always have used adaptive cruise with Lane keeping. Perhaps these are just really inefficient?
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

rickwookie wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 am The only thing different other than the mild weather (which is what I considered the main reason) is that I did the entire drive in one-pedal mode as an experiment. Previously I would always have used adaptive cruise with Lane keeping. Perhaps these are just really inefficient?
....which if true would be really counterintuitive, wouldn't it? But that doesn't mean it isn't of course!

The weather right now is really in that goldilocks sweet spot; I'm getting estimates above 140miles which might be optimistic, but still good to see.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

MattHero wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:26 am
rickwookie wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:15 am The only thing different other than the mild weather (which is what I considered the main reason) is that I did the entire drive in one-pedal mode as an experiment. Previously I would always have used adaptive cruise with Lane keeping. Perhaps these are just really inefficient?
....which if true would be really counterintuitive, wouldn't it? But that doesn't mean it isn't of course!
Not really. I notice the adaptive cruise is constantly slowing the car down in a panic when it doesn’t need to, and then accelerating back up to speed. In one pedal mode I can keep the car at a much more constant speed.
The weather right now is really in that goldilocks sweet spot; I'm getting estimates above 140miles which might be optimistic, but still good to see.
Which is SO different to the <100 mile range we’re seeing when it’s really cold.
Makes me think that one of the key areas where battery chemistry needs to make improvements is in cold-weather performance. I think though that most of the issue on the e is the battery heater gobbling power. I do wonder would they be better of just not heating the batteries and getting a net better return from the cold pack without the loss from the heater power, but perhaps that would just lead to the batteries degrading prematurely.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

rickwookie wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 am Not really. I notice the adaptive cruise is constantly slowing the car down in a panic when it doesn’t need to, and then accelerating back up to speed. In one pedal mode I can keep the car at a much more constant speed.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. I'm about to change jobs and probably do a load more mileage, so if ACC turns out less efficient that OPD, that will be interesting for range setting.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

MattHero wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am
rickwookie wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 am Not really. I notice the adaptive cruise is constantly slowing the car down in a panic when it doesn’t need to, and then accelerating back up to speed. In one pedal mode I can keep the car at a much more constant speed.
Oh, I see. That makes sense. I'm about to change jobs and probably do a load more mileage, so if ACC turns out less efficient that OPD, that will be interesting for range setting.
Also it's possible that ACC only uses the brakes rather than regen to slow the car down, which from a purely safety view makes sense because it would be difficult (aka costly) to manufacture a reliable system that combines both regen (which would be variable depending on various factors) and the brakes to provide a consistent braking force.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:07 pm
MattHero wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am
Also it's possible that ACC only uses the brakes rather than regen to slow the car down, which from a purely safety view makes sense because it would be difficult (aka costly) to manufacture a reliable system that combines both regen (which would be variable depending on various factors) and the brakes to provide a consistent braking force.
I doubt it’s that terrible, since you can see the green regen bar to the right of the driver’s instrument display increase (extend down) whenever the car slows during ACC. It does brake way too late though for my liking when approaching stationary or much slower vehicles, but that’s a safety rather than an efficiency issue.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post