Laying Up Honda e for several weeks

All Honda E related discussions
HeartNotHead

Post by HeartNotHead »

I cannot find any guidance in the manual for laying up a car for several weeks. My main concern is the 12v battery. I intend leaving the car with a 90% charge on the main battery and with the correct tyre pressures checked. P16 of the manual (thank you @keithr for this guidance on an earlier post) suggests the 12v battery charge is automatically (after three days) maintained by the main traction battery even when the Power if off and the vehicle left locked - but does not elaborate. My Honda dealer did not know the answer. Does anyone have a definitive answer? And is there anything else I should be considering in laying up the car. Thank you.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

You could disconnect the 12v battery, though I probably wouldn't in case all the infotainment settings were defaulted when you came to reconnect it. If you're not able to drive it for a prolonged period I'm not sure what else you can do.
I'm not sure that the 12v is charged every 3 days.
Here's a graph of my 12v battery from 4 June, approx 1am when a charge had completed and the car was left unused until just after 8am this morning (7 June) with the 7kW home charger cable connected all that time but no additional charge occurred (I've removed my dashcam for over a week to check that it's not the reason for the voltage drop).

IMG_20210607_162834.jpg

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

You should add more pressure to the tyres to avoid flat spots. Around 42psi should be fine for the 17inch. From the factory they came with 48psi to avoid flat spots while shipping. I think 70% charge is better than 90% for longevity but if you ever noticed any drop in percentage when not used for a few days then is better to keep it at high SOC.
HondaR84

Post by HondaR84 »

Is it being left somewhere it can be plugged in or not like an airport carpark? if so like with any other car wouldn't you leave the battery on a 12v smart charger that would put the battery into storage mode and and keep it there until you disconnect it?

We are authorised Victron dealers at work and use the product in the link below to look after our boat batteries, I've got one at home that I've used on all my cars when they weren't being used and was a god send last year when they didn't move for a few months. They also have a recondition function to revive batteries that have gone totally flat and its bluetooth so you can check what is doing from in side your home without having to go out to the car to check.

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/prod ... 20433024r/

I'd highly recommend one for any garage and if anyone does want one we have a few in stock and will do 20% off that price for forum members.
HeartNotHead

Post by HeartNotHead »

Many thanks for these really helpful replies.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post