Security

All Honda E related discussions
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

My e is ordered and would like some info on the keyless system please. I'm off to Halfords to buy a couple of keybags, and will make sure they are used at home.
However we have had a worrying story locally of thieves waiting in the supermarket car park to grab a relay as you leave the car and driving off once you are safely in the store. I don't think a keybag will help here if you have to use the key while next to the car to lock it and the signal is available in the vicinity.
Can you turn off the wireless on the e key, or is there any info as to how secure the system is. Articles say some manufacturers have latest systems that can stop relay pickup, but no info on which makes or models, or which have the option to turn off the wireless part.

ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

You can disable the door handle pop-outs when you approach the car, but you cannot disable the wireless communication.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

What you could do is, enable the Digital Key package and use your phone to open and start the car.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

renedekat wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:06 am What you could do is, enable the Digital Key package and use your phone to open and start the car.
It would take a brave person to rely solely on this method :|
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

Thanks for the replies. It may be worth trying the phone as well as keeping the key in a faraday pouch too.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

I hope Honda will join the CarKey initiative, and we won’t have to worry about these things, and crappy apps, any longer.
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

Just use the touch lock on the handle, keep the key in your pocket? No signal to steal that way?
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:26 am
renedekat wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:06 am What you could do is, enable the Digital Key package and use your phone to open and start the car.
It would take a brave person to rely solely on this method :|
ITA it made me soooo nervous to leave physical key at home even for 3miles journey, I made sure hubby would be at home each time :lol: and having actually used digital key for a while, I really missed those auto pop up open & touch close function much more than I imagined. Though I'm the kind of person still print out boarding pass, as well as digital pass on my phone - not recently obviously :roll:
Fakeplasticman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:40 pm Just use the touch lock on the handle, keep the key in your pocket? No signal to steal that way?
So, the above would be the double winner for me if that's true!!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

The use of the door handle wouldn’t help against a relay attack, because a relay attack isn’t using the signal sent from the fob button, but rather amplifying the NFC signal so the car thinks the fob is nearby.

I’m not sure how such an attack would work, other than getting in to the car, since the car seems so specific about the position of the fob before it will start. For example; if you put the fob on the back seat, can you still start and drive the car?

The only way I could see such an attack working is it one perpetrator was standing very close to you WHILE the other perpetrator with the relay repeater got in AND stole the car. Maybe just keep the key in a faraday pouch when you’re carrying it around and only take it out when you want to lock/unlock the car?

The sad reality is, if a criminal is determined to steal you car they will. One perpetrator on their own can always just mug someone for their fob for example. 🤷‍♂️
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

On a positive note, if they do steal our cars they won't get very far :lol:
Ex e owner