Not sure others have noticed, but when you get lower than 30%, the throttle response gets much slower

All Honda E related discussions
Sgv

Post by Sgv »

Interesting approach by Honda, slowing the throttle response to save more battery when the charge is slow, I guess to prevent unnecessary nippy starts.

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Most probably is due to less power with lower battery voltage too. Under 30% you notice that it goes down quicker too. I don't think that is good for the battery, that is why I don't go lower than 35% when I can.
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

My understanding is that battery protection is built-in by Honda. When the battery is showing 0% and the car won't move I believe that there is actually about 20% battery capacity remaining. This enables Honda to warranty the battery at 70% after 8 years. Most EV's only seem to keep about 10% in reserve which maybe why the E apparently has less range that other 35kWh cars such as the Mini. So it should be OK to use all of the available capacity. Someone tell me if this is not right.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:14 am My understanding is that battery protection is built-in by Honda. When the battery is showing 0% and the car won't move I believe that there is actually about 20% battery capacity remaining. This enables Honda to warranty the battery at 70% after 8 years. Most EV's only seem to keep about 10% in reserve which maybe why the E apparently has less range that other 35kWh cars such as the Mini. So it should be OK to use all of the available capacity. Someone tell me if this is not right.
If the car has 35.5kWh battery and according to many 28.5kWh are useable means 20% buffer zone. We don't know how that 20% buffer is allocated but most probably 10% below 100% and 10% above 0%
RCH

Post by RCH »

Sorry to be off-topic a little, it does that mean you can charge the e to 100% and have the batteriea remain in good condition (akin to mobile phones charged to 80% not having used a battery cycle)?
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

RCH wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:43 pm Sorry to be off-topic a little, it does that mean you can charge the e to 100% and have the batteriea remain in good condition (akin to mobile phones charged to 80% not having used a battery cycle)?
Yes you can but if you want to protect even more and you can afford it, you can take extra caution and reduce even more your high/low state of charge.

For example I normally use only 20% charge every day to go to work, so I keep it between 65% and 45%. On weekends then I charge more. I prefer to charge it 20% every day than fully charge twice a week or so.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post