Paint damage when washing the car by wiper blades.

All Honda E related discussions
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

Yep, it's happened to me too. Just the driver side wiper, mind... But it's a pretty crap design decision. Will ask them to patch it up when it's next in for service.

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Nebrog23 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:45 am I don’t think it’s a design flaw, they would have to change the appearance of many cars to avoid it. I alsothought it was deliberate to reduce wind noise from the wipers and help with aerodynamics. Certainly had it on many cars over the past few years.

That been said the Honda paint is so thin and soft. Had two Hondas and they chip very easily. Not very helpful you can’t get a touch up pen yet!
Yes.. it's also there to improve aerodynamic efficiency
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

I think we might be down the wrong rabbit-hole here. The "car wash mode" is only for those automatic car washes where you leave the car in neutral and do not remain in it during the wash. It goes on a conveyor which pulls the car through the wash.
The more common car wash machines where you stay in the car and the wash goes back and forth around and over you is not relevant to this thread. In those, the only thing you need to remember is to turn off the automatic wipers!
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Nebrog23 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:45 am I don’t think it’s a design flaw, they would have to change the appearance of many cars to avoid it. I alsothought it was deliberate to reduce wind noise from the wipers and help with aerodynamics.
I do stuff like that for a living. In my line of business issues like this would be categorised as foreseeable misuse and have called for a mitigating design action. The fact that it's such a common occuring problem just underlines that it's poor design.

They didn't have to change the look of the car to solve the problem. A protective trim on bonnet or on whiper arm, softer materials, a locking function on the arm. Even a clear protective film could have lessened the problem
bogga

Post by bogga »

Trykpaa wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:24 am
Nebrog23 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:45 am I don’t think it’s a design flaw, they would have to change the appearance of many cars to avoid it. I alsothought it was deliberate to reduce wind noise from the wipers and help with aerodynamics.
I do stuff like that for a living. In my line of business issues like this would be categorised as foreseeable misuse and have called for a mitigating design action. The fact that it's such a common occuring problem just underlines that it's poor design.

They didn't have to change the look of the car to solve the problem. A protective trim on bonnet or on whiper arm, softer materials, a locking function on the arm. Even a clear protective film could have lessened the problem
That may be true, but it's a common issue across the industry and has been for some time.

For what it's worth, I do think it's a mistake. I'm just aware of it.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Having to “Park the Wipers” is common feature on Audi's and Golfs etc. It's part of improving airflow, and hence aerodynamics, reducing drag. Surprised to learn others have not come across this before. Keeping your windscreen clean, removing bugs etc. extends life of wiper blades, and avoids glass wear, smears etc.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

Trykpaa wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:24 am

I do agree it’s not great and the paint is rubbish
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

milligoon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:29 am No different to a recent XC60 I owned.

It sounds like iHanz's dealer didn't know about it either! Maybe when they prepped the cars they damaged them all?
I also think that's where the damage occurred, just no one knows about it... I'll leave it at that, they didn't do it intentionally and I can't prove it either.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
d11

Post by d11 »

It happened to my e too. Dealer promised to paint it for free and asked me to be more careful.

The wipers ruin the paint when you lift them up.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post