Paint damage when washing the car by wiper blades.

All Honda E related discussions
Simonjai3108

Post by Simonjai3108 »

Hi fellow Honda E owners.

So with the weather being so glorious I thought let’s was the car for the very first time. I’ve only had the car a couple of weeks.
Washing away cleaning all the dead flies off the windscreen. I noticed some paint had come away from the edge of the bonnet. This has never happened to me ever owning so many different cars along the way. So the wiper arms don’t raise up past the edge of the bonnet. Has this happened to anyone else?
And I’m also wondering do you think Honda would be able to help with sorting this out?

1FF2D938-F631-4535-87AD-3A6036FA7CAA.jpeg

0AB00741-FE77-4750-808F-898727983BA8.jpeg

Keawon

Post by Keawon »

You have to put wipers in sevice mode, turn off the car and then push and hold the lever in upward position.
Simonjai3108

Post by Simonjai3108 »

Hi Keawon,
Never have I ever heard of having to put the wipers into service mode on any car I’ve owned. This should be something that’s made aware to owners, I’m sure this will be something that’ll happen to a lot of other Honda E owners who take pride in washing their cars thoroughly. Well I’m gonna contact Honda customer services fingers crossed they can remedy this, as it’s put a bit of a downer on what looks like it’s gonna be a wonder weekend.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Simonjai3108 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:45 pm Hi Keawon,
Never have I ever heard of having to put the wipers into service mode on any car I’ve owned. This should be something that’s made aware to owners, I’m sure this will be something that’ll happen to a lot of other Honda E owners who take pride in washing their cars thoroughly. Well I’m gonna contact Honda customer services fingers crossed they can remedy this, as it’s put a bit of a downer on what looks like it’s gonna be a wonder weekend.
Every car whose wipers go under the bonnet when not in use have this...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Simonjai3108

Post by Simonjai3108 »

Not a feature I’ve ever come across. Guess I’ve never owned a car with wipers that tuck away under the bonnet until now. Lesson learnt but there will be plenty others whom don’t know about this.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Unfortunately, I also have this. I don't think it has anything to do with washing. I always have my car washed in an automatic carwash. The wipers are hidden and don't come into contact with the brushes. Have never lifted the wipers myself. All the EV’s at my dealer's also had this damage. Wanted a paint stick to fix this, but my color Charge Yellow is not yet available.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Tell Honda to paint it for you. It didn't come with any warning or paint protection. How could you have known.

I was baffled when I first realized this awful example of pathetic mechanical design on the E. Not very Honda-ish. Just thinking of having to activate a function kills any motivation to wash the car for me.

I have still avoided any paint damage, but will inevitably happen one day. Probably due to a friendly sole wanting to help, someone placing a note... or trying to free frozen whipers (how should any software help with that).

That someone decided on patching up the mechanical short cut with a whiper service function, only makes it worse to me - I means that they realized the flaw and decided they could not be bothered to come up with a clever solution for it.

BTW: I only read about the service function here. No idea how it works and I am not interested.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

No different to a recent XC60 I owned.

It sounds like iHanz's dealer didn't know about it either! Maybe when they prepped the cars they damaged them all?
Ex e owner
bogga

Post by bogga »

milligoon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:29 am No different to a recent XC60 I owned.

It sounds like iHanz's dealer didn't know about it either! Maybe when they prepped the cars they damaged them all?
My Seat Leon had the same function. I read the manual.... (I know, I know, this isn't the same bogga you know...)

To be honest, I saw it on other cars before my Leon, and I've always checked since... Also since then, I've never let dealers clean my cars...
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

I don’t think it’s a design flaw, they would have to change the appearance of many cars to avoid it. I alsothought it was deliberate to reduce wind noise from the wipers and help with aerodynamics. Certainly had it on many cars over the past few years.

That been said the Honda paint is so thin and soft. Had two Hondas and they chip very easily. Not very helpful you can’t get a touch up pen yet!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post