Charging Cables

All Honda E related discussions
Catcave

Post by Catcave »

Can anyone tell me which charging cables the Honda E is supplied with? Is it a 3 pin and a Type 2 or a 3 pin and Type 2/CCS? Do you have to purchase a CCS cable if you want to rapid charge? Finally anyone have a view on tethered v non-tethered wallboxes?

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Catcave wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 am Can anyone tell me which charging cables the Honda E is supplied with? Is it a 3 pin and a Type 2 or a 3 pin and Type 2/CCS? Do you have to purchase a CCS cable if you want to rapid charge? Finally anyone have a view on tethered v non-tethered wallboxes?
Supplied cables depends on which country you buy from; UK supplied cars do (or did?) come with Type2 and 3 pin cables as standard, but that's not true of each country. CCS chargers are always tethered, so that's not something you need to be concerned about.
Last edited by MattHero on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

I got an untethered wallbox for flexibility. I also have quite a long cable (longer than would be on a tethered box). I do leave a cable plugged in all the time, so it acts like a tethered box. For security, the cable is padlocked to a wall ring.
Catcave

Post by Catcave »

Great stuff. I knew in the UK it came with two cables but I’ve just not been able to get my head around the CCS element. If they are always tethered then that solves that! I’ve currently signed up for most charging apps - is there any one thing you’d recommend for a newbie?
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Catcave wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:35 am is there any one thing you’d recommend for a newbie?
For me, it would be getting ZapMap, creating an account and adding in charger locations along the *long* routes you use most frequently, as favourites.

That way you are able at a glance to see their current status and I've found this a great way to stop worrying about range in general, as I'm pretty confident that the availability of the places I'll use the most are actually pretty reliable. In general, over time as I've got used the way e uses energy and how I drive, I'm more confident in predicting when I'll need to stop; 80-100 mile runs between chargers are not the anxiety issue I thought they would be when I first got the car.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Honda e came with two cables, in UK, as described.
As to tethered vs untethered - I prefer a tethered home charger. The logic is, much quicker to just plug in when you get home, rather than having to get your cable out of the boot.
It does add a little bit of cost. Used to say there was a Chademo or CCS choice - but this has really gone away now. CCS is the choice.
Then you need to make a cable length choice. I went with 5m. But given my future EV will have a charge point at the back, I can either reverse in or get an 8m cable.
I have a Zappi mk1
Hope this helps
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Joolsdc wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 am Used to say there was a Chademo or CCS choice - but this has really gone away now. CCS is the choice.
I think when we're talking home chargers we should say Type 2, not CCS (although Type 2 is part of a CCS connection, just to make it even more complex to begin with).
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Those who ordered early in the UK got the extra Type 2 cable for free as an incentive. So this might be something to haggle with your Dealer about, as Honda don't like to discount their cars. Type 2 cables are useful for Fast Destination Chargers, which are often Free to Use. You just need the cable.
Rapid Chargers have their own cables CCS but of course you pay a premium price to use these - currently in UK price varies from 30p to 40p per kWh - and some are even more!

As to Home Charger: depends on your location. Where Chargers are “easily accessible” from the street, most people tend to fit Untethered. Looks neater, and less tempting for someone to tamper with. So again you will need a Type 2 cable for Untethered

In my view it's worth having a Type 2 cable in your armoury.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

advance2020 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:07 pm Those who ordered early in the UK got the extra Type 2 cable for free as an incentive.
Is that an extra cable in addition to one already provided or just giving the buyer what the need for the car to function?

I agree that a type 2 cable is necessary - a 3 pin cable is nice to have in an emergency, but they are not the greatest either in charging speed or safety. I definitely wouldn't want to plug one into an old house without knowing that the electrics had been redone within the past 25 years. But if they aren't giving a type 2 cable or providing a free charging point, they are inviting a "Honda burned down my house" article in the papers.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

ZoeDave wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:20 pm
advance2020 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:07 pm Those who ordered early in the UK got the extra Type 2 cable for free as an incentive.
Is that an extra cable in addition to one already provided or just giving the buyer what the need for the car to function?

I agree that a type 2 cable is necessary - a 3 pin cable is nice to have in an emergency, but they are not the greatest either in charging speed or safety. I definitely wouldn't want to plug one into an old house without knowing that the electrics had been redone within the past 25 years. But if they aren't giving a type 2 cable or providing a free charging point, they are inviting a "Honda burned down my house" article in the papers.
ZoeDave
I have been using Granny charger 3pin 13A socket in my TIMBER garage for nearly a year with no noticeable overheating issues. I have recently changed 13A socket to a metal one, with RCD trip just in case. Granny can only draw 10A. Hope I am not pushing my luck by posting this. Overnight temps have been pushing 20°C of late. Speed is never an issue for me, but I do charge overnight, to help National Grid. No Smart Meter available in our location. Charger itself never gets warm.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post