Change e-sim

All Honda E related discussions
Ngb_oz

Post by Ngb_oz »

Has anyone successfully change the e-sim in a Honda e? I’m importing one from the UK to Australia and while I’m happy to use Apple CarPlay it would be great to connect the car via sim. I’m reasonably techs but this aspect is not my forte. Any insights very welcome.
Crystal Blue 17” Advance July 2020 UK import
Tesla Model 3 SR+ Blue
Brisbane, Australia

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

If you can get the dealer to activate it before shipping it should work
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

FDAD wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:58 pm If you can get the dealer to activate it before shipping it should work
I'd be very wary of that - we don't know if the sim has roaming enabled, and if so we don't know who pays for the data and how much it costs. Roaming, if there isn't a cheap deal, can be so expensive that it can destroy the finances of any of us normal people. I've been to Japan quite a few times and as there are no cheap roaming deals, my phone goes on airplane mode as soon as I step on the plane and stays that way until I get back in the UK. Last time I checked it was £2 per minute for calls and the data was just as bad. So if the sim was used for even a few gigabytes, which is nothing these days, and Honda UK were billed for it, there is a high risk of receiving a very angry letter with a very large demand for money.

My question is what particular function would you like to work in Australia that the eSIM would allow you to use? And if it really is an eSIM, my limited understanding is that it is embedded in the circuitry of the device, rather than being a sim card that you can take out and swap. It may be possible to reprogram it, but I suspect that is very difficult.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

ZoeDave wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm
FDAD wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:58 pm If you can get the dealer to activate it before shipping it should work
I'd be very wary of that - we don't know if the sim has roaming enabled, and if so we don't know who pays for the data and how much it costs. Roaming, if there isn't a cheap deal, can be so expensive that it can destroy the finances of any of us normal people. I've been to Japan quite a few times and as there are no cheap roaming deals, my phone goes on airplane mode as soon as I step on the plane and stays that way until I get back in the UK. Last time I checked it was £2 per minute for calls and the data was just as bad. So if the sim was used for even a few gigabytes, which is nothing these days, and Honda UK were billed for it, there is a high risk of receiving a very angry letter with a very large demand for money.

My question is what particular function would you like to work in Australia that the eSIM would allow you to use? And if it really is an eSIM, my limited understanding is that it is embedded in the circuitry of the device, rather than being a sim card that you can take out and swap. It may be possible to reprogram it, but I suspect that is very difficult.
If the system has the esim working he can change operator once the car is there... It would be the same process as any phone with esim..But .. has anyone with the e traveled to another country? I did went to Galiza /Spain but as you may know Portugal doesn't support the app. So my esim is not working.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post