Charger Anxiety

All Honda E related discussions
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Mr EV on YouTube recently uploaded a vlog about the 5 essential features ALL EVs should have. I agree with most, but not the last. He thinks ALL should have the tech that Teslas have - i.e. they will tell where your nearest charger is, it's status, how long to get there etc. Nice to have, but a complex ask. Most of us will use a combo of ZapMap, EV Charger Apps and Google Maps to guide us. But How often do we need to find a Public Charger? And we drive “short range” cars.

This is the comment I added:-
“Agree with 4 out of 5. Not the last. #ChargerAnxiety Most people soon learn where their nearest Petrol pump is, and whether it is open 24hrs, which many aren't. It's the same with Public Chargers. And how many EV drivers need them for their normal Daily commute or routine journeys? I take Advantage of free Fast Charging while shopping, and know of many places around my Rural home, where I can top up for free. But after 7000 miles, over the last 12 months, I only NEEDED a Rapid Charger twice. And they were easy to find @Morrisons and @McDonalds #GeniePoint & #InstaVolt and Google Maps confirmed their location. Ok, I also have ZapMap and many EV Network Apps to guide. Never yet used the Pump Icon on my #Hondae display!”

Maybe some of you drive longer distances. I know from Instagram/YouTube TechJamo drives to Nottingham / Northampton? from London regularly to see/pick up his daughter from Uni. But I doubt many of us drive long distances regularly. Surely not in an “e”?
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 am But I doubt many of us drive long distances regularly. Surely not in an “e”?
:D :D :D Of course not... :lol:
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I agree - while it might be nice to have I can't imagine any single automaker being able to implement and maintain such a system properly, apart from if they owned the charging infrastructure like Tesla.

The real issue here is that the charging network is, for the moment at least, not as simple, widespread, fast or cheap enough. There is one simple, but very expensive, goal: Create a situation where someone who lives with no off-street parking can drive 20,000 miles a year without worrying about charging. Do that and all of the other problems suddenly disappear.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Cars and charging need to be on parity with fossil ownership then there will be no issues to owning one.
Ex e owner
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

ZoeDave wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:55 pm I agree - while it might be nice to have I can't imagine any single automaker being able to implement and maintain such a system properly, apart from if they owned the charging infrastructure like Tesla.

The real issue here is that the charging network is, for the moment at least, not as simple, widespread, fast or cheap enough. There is one simple, but very expensive, goal: Create a situation where someone who lives with no off-street parking can drive 20,000 miles a year without worrying about charging. Do that and all of the other problems suddenly disappear.
That currently is a problem that belongs to every countries infrastructure... I know every charging location, current status, last time used, private or public, future planned locations, time that will take me charging if at a certain battery %, and the amount I'll pay even before arriving... all of that with a single app that is free and accepts all charging operators... So I actually don't have any problems... If you ask me about Spain... Don't. :lol: every other country in EU I don't know the current reality.

https://www.miio.pt/en
Give it a look...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

D144A233-637C-4D56-A73C-1D000D51F247.jpeg

Yesterday I tried the Search Station icon, and the Search returned lots of options, although distances were under estimated, which is a worry. And it didn't List the SWARCO Charger that I was heading for. Fortunately I had that Saved in My Google Maps list.
Charged to 98% at Ilchester @30p per kWh, while we “recharged” with Italian Ice cream and coffee, and escaped the madness of A303 on an August weekend.

Yes, we could have made it home ok, but never used SWARCO in anger before, so wanted to try it out. Much cheaper than our Bill at the local Italian!

6AF442CA-E13D-454A-8389-2B7300D20D30.png

Rei

Post by Rei »

Unfortunately the chargers programmed into sat navs in all EVs are always out of date and incomplete. It's always best to use an app on your phone. You can use Android Auto or Carplay with some of them.

The distances will be as the crow flies, so yeah you always have to drive a bit further. I think the premium version of the A Better Route Planner app will calculate the actual distance, but I'm not sure. That app is great anyway.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Used another Swarco Rapid today. Managed to get the Connector back into its socket before it locked up this time. You need to be quick, as soon as you ask the App to Stop the Charge, release from your car asap, and slot it back into its housing. Easy once you know!
Managed to add 30% to Battery within 16mins, so only a short break & top up for £2.65
Kinda like buying your car a coffee.
TechJamo

Post by TechJamo »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:50 am Mr EV on YouTube recently uploaded a vlog about the 5 essential features ALL EVs should have. I agree with most, but not the last. He thinks ALL should have the tech that Teslas have - i.e. they will tell where your nearest charger is, it's status, how long to get there etc. Nice to have, but a complex ask. Most of us will use a combo of ZapMap, EV Charger Apps and Google Maps to guide us. But How often do we need to find a Public Charger? And we drive “short range” cars.

This is the comment I added:-
“Agree with 4 out of 5. Not the last. #ChargerAnxiety Most people soon learn where their nearest Petrol pump is, and whether it is open 24hrs, which many aren't. It's the same with Public Chargers. And how many EV drivers need them for their normal Daily commute or routine journeys? I take Advantage of free Fast Charging while shopping, and know of many places around my Rural home, where I can top up for free. But after 7000 miles, over the last 12 months, I only NEEDED a Rapid Charger twice. And they were easy to find @Morrisons and @McDonalds #GeniePoint & #InstaVolt and Google Maps confirmed their location. Ok, I also have ZapMap and many EV Network Apps to guide. Never yet used the Pump Icon on my #Hondae display!”

Maybe some of you drive longer distances. I know from Instagram/YouTube TechJamo drives to Nottingham / Northampton? from London regularly to see/pick up his daughter from Uni. But I doubt many of us drive long distances regularly. Surely not in an “e”?
Lol 15 Months in and im at 24000+ Miles Now ! ahahhaha
Best wishes,

Joel Justin | Founder & Content Creator
TECH JAMO YouTube Channel

Social Media: @TechJamo

Telephone/WhatsApp: +44 7586504544

MailTo: Hello@techjamo.com
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

TechJamo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:22 am Lol 15 Months in and im at 24000+ Miles Now ! ahahhaha
:P :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post