Media interface

All Honda E related discussions
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Here we got the first detailed description of the media interface of the Honda e.
In contrast to some information of a Honda representative: luckily it will come with wireless Apple CarPlay...

Last edited by RAL7004 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Nice one RAL. You scour the furthest reaches of YouTube so we don't have to. :lol:

I suppose to release a vehicle in 2020 without wireless CarPlay would be a bit off, although, I NEVER waste an opportunity to charge my phone (ABC = Always Be Charging!) so I will still plug in. That being said, the only experience I have with CarPlay so far was plug-in, but the USB connection for it only provided 1 Amp (at best) so charging was so poor that the phone doing Waze onto the CarPlay seemed to be consuming energy at a faster rate than it could recharge. With wireless CarPlay I suppose you can use any charger you like.

Now if only the car came with a more future looking USB-C connector with PD, so I don't have to clutter the inside with my massive Anker multi-output with USB-C PD brick plugged into the 230 V a.c. socket! :D

Ah wait - Problem solved? : https://www.amazon.co.uk/LinkOn-Charger ... B077ZRBPNB
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Yes that is good news about wireless Apple CarPlay
Not sure I side with the ABC charge philosophy - better for battery life and Manhattan only charge your phone to 80% and down to 20% or so. Likewise I’ve read a similar approach for EVs - only fully charge if gouts long way
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Great video thanks. Seems like a pretty good implementation of CarPlay. Menu seems nice and responsive, no lag by the looks of it.

I hope you can switch the beeps off though!
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

I wonder why they implemented aha radio in such a flashy manner. I was not aware that this service still exists...

The software behind the voice recognition was provided by Houndify (see: https://www.soundhound.com/houndify). They did the voice recognition and "AI" solutions within the Mercedes MBUX, too...
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Just watched a YouTube video that showed the screen with a button saying “search for charge stations”. This is obviously important for an EV. But still does not answer my key question: when planning a longer route, does the e show charging stations along the route? Like a Tesla
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

You‘re right - this is crucial for long trips. They might argue, the car is for urban environments only...
In general I would like to get more detailed information from Honda. I wonder why they are so shy. Are coders still working on these things? Have they sold all the cars allotted to the European (ahem: and UK) market and see no need for proper marketing?
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Joolsdc wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:42 pm Yes that is good news about wireless Apple CarPlay
Not sure I side with the ABC charge philosophy - better for battery life and Manhattan only charge your phone to 80% and down to 20% or so. Likewise I’ve read a similar approach for EVs - only fully charge if gouts long way
I think the battery management on EVs is far superior to that on phones, so you should be fine charging the car however you need, but yes for sure the phone does take a hammering. Thing is, when I get to a destination I like a full phone charge. If the phone's been used for wireless CarPlay the whole journey, it's likely to have a very low charge on arrival.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Fingers tapping on all the screens...
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Connectivity features – more details: https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/cars/media/p ... pean-range

Interesting:
In the Honda e, the navigation system also incorporates data from the battery range monitor and will factor in charge point locations when long distance journeys beyond the full range of the car are required.
Apple CarPlay can now be accessed wirelessly for the first time.
[...] Honda will deliver over-the-air updates to ensure that features and apps benefit from enhancements and new functions.