USB Playlist

All Honda E related discussions
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

I can play all the music from my USB and I can select what I want from BROWSE, but can someone tell me how to setup a "current playlist", my E seems to think that ALL my tracks in alphabetical order represent my current playlist. I can't find anything in the owners manual to help.

schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Despite the manual the car does recognise the .m3u format for playlists; it's just a case of adding these to the device (location doesn't seem to matter but I just put my files in the root and that worked) and then selecting them from the Browse menu.
The .m3u can be created either from an app (such as MediaPlayer,VLC, MediaMonkey etc) or simply create a new text file and change the file extension.

As an example for the file contents;
/Band/Album/Track5.mp3
/Band2/Album5/Band 2 - Album Name - 07 - Track Name.mp3

No need for any speech marks etc just ensure the full path and track name are there with 1 track per line.

When loaded to the car just go to USB App > Browse > Music > Playlists and select it to start play through.
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

Thanks. I'll give it another try and report back
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

Nope! I put an .m3u playlist in the root directory of a USB and on browse the playlist legend was still greyed out.
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

You can't have added a valid m3u.

Make sure the file extension is definitely m3u and not just added to the name. In Windows you need to go to th folder options and enable showing common file extensions.
Check the file contents in a text editor and ensure only fully qualified file paths are added and without drive letters or semicolons etc so they look like my examples.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I just had a go at using a USB stick with playlists & had no issues.

Playlist
I used Notepad+++ & saved with an appropriate name & the .m3u extension, using the layout as already mentioned:
/<Artist_A>/<Album>/<Track-011.mp3>
/<Artist_B>/<Album>/<Track-005.mp3>
/<Artist_C>/<Album>/<Track-009.mp3>

I would recommend putting all of your music in the root of the USB in this format:
<Artist_A>/<Album_01>/<Track_001.mp3

I also successfully used VLC to create a playlist (however this is more difficult to manually manage/update, as you'll see if you use VLC).

Notes:
a) Put all tracks inside each album folder with each album folder in the specific artist folder. This will make file management a lot easier in the future.
b) Add an Album Art image in each album folder.
c) Don't forget to ensure that all of the file properties/metadata are correctly configured with (a minimum of Artist & Album), so that the car USB player can extract the relevant data to be categorise the Artist, Album & Songs lists (these can take a while to populate if your music library is particularly large:

USB Music Lists.jpg

Last edited by londiniumperson on Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

Hi Londiniumperson,

Thank you for your detailed advice. I now realise that I knew little about file metadata. I now know more!

So armed with your info and my new knowledge I used the "Groove Music" app to update the metadata and "playlist creator 3.6.2" to generate playlists and it worked!! By the way I found that I could use either .m3u or .pls playlists, They both work! :)

Thanks again - the power of the forum!

Jan44