Honda E Openpilot Support

All Honda E related discussions
oipoi

Post by oipoi »

Last week ordered a comma ai 3 for my Honda E and managed to get it to work tonight.

Here’s a short video:
https://youtu.be/55Xt22l-MeM

It’s comparable to Tesla autopilot and light years ahead of what the built in system can manage.

The code changes will soon be available on the public release version so that it will be a plug and play installation!

Humungus

Post by Humungus »

Ridiculously expensive for what it delivers in my opinion. What's wrong with steering yourself, especially in a Honda E? :)
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

This sounded like a dodgy post to get people to view the YouTube video, so instead I did a quick Google about what this was.
Quelle surprise :roll:
I'm very skeptical that anyone would spend over $2000 on something that clearly won't work on the Honda e.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
oipoi

Post by oipoi »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:42 am This sounded like a dodgy post to get people to view the YouTube video, so instead, I did a quick Google about what this was.
Quelle surprise :roll:
I'm very skeptical that anyone would spend over $2000 on something that clearly won't work on the Honda e.
Yeah was maybe worded too much like a sales post but I was just hyped yesterday when I got it working. The Hondas lane-keeping assist is a mess and even on highways doesn't work at all and disengages randomly.
Comparing it to my Touareg 3 LKAS which could do hundreds of highway miles without me having to be on the edge the whole time I always hated the hondas system and never even used it.

Considering the Honda E is one of the techiest cars out there I think something like open pilot suits it very well and as I said in the opening post it works absolutely amazingly well. The code is open source and you can
cobble together your own device from a fraction of the cost of their product costs.

That's all I just think it's a shame the car was delivered with 10-year-old tech in terms of self-driving capabilities and wanted to fix that. To each their own I guess.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Won't you have just invalidated your insurance, or have you informed them, if so what extra did they charge?
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

@oipoi Well, I may have been a bit hasty in my negative response, though I am still sceptical that it is of any real use on the Honda e, it seems to be at a 'proof of concept' stage after a quick look into Openpilot & comma.ai & I think we need to advise people (unless you disagree), that this is not a commercially approved system/product in any country, to me it seems to be a development kit into the investigation of open source driver assistance.
It is an interesting product/solution, though personally I cannot see this as being a commercially viable for many many years to come , especially in respect to legal & insurance approvals.
I also see that the Honda e is NOT in either the list of 'Supported Cars' nor the 'Community Maintained Cars and Features', are you saying that you will soon be adding this either of these lists?

Openpilot currently seems rudimentary with the biggest issue being that the hardware appears to be a mobile phone with a single camera (no radar which all production cars with LKAS/ACC utilise) which means that it has a very limited view of the road especially on tight turns. Does it plug into (and therefore replace) the existing car's camera system behind the rear view mirror & possibly the OBDII port?

Your video is very short and being shot at night, doesn't clearly show that there's no steering wheel input, this would be taken more seriously if this was shot in daylight with the camera fully showing the whole of the steering wheel and several minutes of driving on a single carriageway, with various corners, parked cars & junctions at a minimum.

Are you willing to share any further information with us & what if any is your connection to either Openpilot or comma.ai?

BTW - I wasn't aware of this until your post, therefore please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

It is a very good technology and I Iike it but 2000eur is too much because in the end I am sure will never be as smooth and reliable like a human being. Same as it happened with the auotpark feature that I never use. What is the minimum speed to work? And maximum bend? Does it work in the city? I want to see more videos.
Some years ago I saw a video about the first hacker that jailbroken the iphone that was doing this kind of technology. Is this the same one?
oipoi

Post by oipoi »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:56 pm @oipoi Well, I may have been a bit hasty in my negative response, though I am still sceptical that it is of any real use on the Honda e, it seems to be at a 'proof of concept' stage after a quick look into Openpilot & comma.ai & I think we need to advise people (unless you disagree), that this is not a commercially approved system/product in any country, to me it seems to be a development kit into the investigation of open source driver assistance.
No, and i don't think the comma devices are even meant for the average joe with no development experience especially in the case of unsupported cars or community-supportedcars. As I mentioned it took me 4 days of work to enable Honda E support on open pilot. And i have lot of development experience.
The think is they sell those devices to get enough data to teach their model to drive. In the long term, I think their goal is to sell the tech to OEMs and not to the end-user.
It is an interesting product/solution, though personally I cannot see this as being a commercially viable for many many years to come , especially in respect to legal & insurance approvals.
I also see that the Honda e is NOT in either the list of 'Supported Cars' nor the 'Community Maintained Cars and Features', are you saying that you will soon be adding this either of these lists?
Yes the Honda E should appear in the Supported Cars list if I'm correct. I worked together with one of their devs to get the car supported and he promised to push the changes to their main repository.
The community-maintained cars are cars that lack some of the features or differentiate from other supported cars by lack of hardware which the honda e isn't. It has absolutely the same underlying hardware as other Honda cars.
Openpilot currently seems rudimentary with the biggest issue being that the hardware appears to be a mobile phone with a single camera (no radar which all production cars with LKAS/ACC utilise) which means that it has a very limited view of the road especially on tight turns. Does it plug into (and therefore replace) the existing car's camera system behind the rear view mirror & possibly the OBDII port?
The device plugs into both the OBD2 port and into the camera behind the rearview mirror/display. It however doesn't disable any of the car's built-in features like AEB etc. And the whole thing can be removed or installed in less than a minute without doing any irreversible changes to the car.
Your video is very short and being shot at night, doesn't clearly show that there's no steering wheel input, this would be taken more seriously if this was shot in daylight with the camera fully showing the whole of the steering wheel and several minutes of driving on a single carriageway, with various corners, parked cars & junctions at a minimum.
Yeah, I shot it at midnight right after getting it to work and just could wait to share with others :) Now in hindsight, i see why it looked scammy.
Heres one on daytime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrD0-Y-6Rus

I'll do one on a single carriageway in less ideal conditions just so people get a glimpse of the performance of their model.
Are you willing to share any further information with us & what if any is your connection to either Openpilot or comma.ai?

BTW - I wasn't aware of this until your post, therefore please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.
I have spent money on their device and got assistance by I think one of their devs on discord but I do not work, don't get any money, and have absolutely no other affiliation with them besides being a consumer of their services/products.
I just one day stumbled on a youtube video of some honda civic driving with comma ai and got curious. Removed the plastic behind the rearview mirror and seen that the E has a BOSCH system so tried my luck and ordered one of their devices.
It didn't work out of their box and started working on adding support. Got help from the community and in the end managed to get it working.
oipoi

Post by oipoi »

Reuben80 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:02 am It is a very good technology and I Iike it but 2000eur is too much because in the end I am sure will never be as smooth and reliable like a human being. Same as it happened with the auotpark feature that I never use. What is the minimum speed to work? And maximum bend? Does it work in the city? I want to see more videos.
Some years ago I saw a video about the first hacker that jailbroken the iphone that was doing this kind of technology. Is this the same one?
Yeah, that's the one, George Hotz. At this moment it still doesn't stop for stoplights or crossings etc. so it's not fully self-driving. But the model performs amazingly well even on very sharp corners, without lane lines, etc. BUUUUT Hondas steering motor firmware limits the amount of torque it allows so it can't handle sharp corners. That can be solved but requires doing changes to the car's internal firmware which isn't a smart move. You can engage the system at 0 km/h. For the E it uses its built-in system to keep distance to the car in front so it's not vision only.
londiniumperson

Thanks for your reply & I hope that you'll accept my apology for doubting this was 'a thing'.

In your more recent video it certainly does appear to work better than the Honda LKAS, because at around 40s, I'm sure my car would have been a little confused at the lane splitting into 2.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post