Finalising my spec - opinions appreciated!

All Honda E related discussions
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Hello all,

Having vacillated for far too long, it is time to order my next car to replace my Zoe. So, while my ideal car would be a Tesla Model S Plaid, the size of a Smart car, built by Rolls Royce and costing my trade in plus whatever points I have left on my Nectar card, I have settled on the next best - a Honda e. As I live in the outskirts of London, and want something small, safe, from a reliable brand and specced more like a luxury barge than a budget car, it is bizarre to see that even now the alternatives are almost zero. If the e does turn out to be a failure, it will be at least a glorious one, and I don't think I can pass on the opportunity to buy a genuinely exciting concept car that has been brought to production.

So, I couldn't think of a group of people better placed to tell me if I'm on the right track with the spec that I plan to order:

Definite specs:
e Advance - Heated steering wheel and 360 parking camera are absolute musts for me.
White - Blue would be a distant second choice

Almost certain:
16" wheels - Improves the mediocre range and I like the contrast of the whole black wheels with the white and black car - a cleaner look IMO.
Tan leather seats - I'm aware that this is a rare option and the back seats remain cloth, but I just prefer a tan/brown interior.

Maybe choices:
Illumination pack - I quite like what I have seen, even if it isn't much, but could still skip the version with the illuminated sills.
Door protection strips - those black plastic bars stuck to the loser parts of the doors. I normally would never, ever consider them, but if a car suits their look this is the one, and they do have a useful function.

Finally, thank you to everyone on this forum, reading the threads has been extremely helpful and if anyone has thought 'who is this muppet who will probably never buy the car' or seen my more unusual thoughts or suggestions, you have been very tolerant and kind!

David

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

It's totally your choice as to how you option the car.
I felt that the options were expensive, though I do like the look of the Illuminated Door Steps, so only ended up choosing black paint as the only option, then purchased fabric mats (inc boot - which is very overpriced) that I fitted myself.

I would seriously ask you to consider if you think that the 'Console Illumination' is worthwhile in the 'Illumination pack', there are threads about this already and show what you actually get. You might think that the 'Illuminated Door Steps' are OK on their own.

As from a practical point of view, I would advise that you consider mats of some description because the factory fit carpet doesn't appear to look very hard wearing to me, whether you pay the full whack and get the dealer to fit them, buy from Cox Motor parts at a reduced price & fit them yourself or purchase a generic set elsewhere is down to you.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 pm It's totally your choice as to how you option the car.
I felt that the options were expensive, though I do like the look of the Illuminated Door Steps, so only ended up choosing black paint as the only option, then purchased fabric mats (inc boot - which is very overpriced) that I fitted myself.

I would seriously ask you to consider if you think that the 'Console Illumination' is worthwhile in the 'Illumination pack', there are threads about this already and show what you actually get. You might think that the 'Illuminated Door Steps' are OK on their own.

As from a practical point of view, I would advise that you consider mats of some description because the factory fit carpet doesn't appear to look very hard wearing to me, whether you pay the full whack and get the dealer to fit them, buy from Cox Motor parts at a reduced price & fit them yourself or purchase a generic set elsewhere is down to you.
Thank you - I'm not the type to install complex electronics myself, but definitely not above placing floor mats if someone else will charge me £50 to do so. I'll have a look at the cox motor site.
londiniumperson

I think that any dealer fit option fitted on a new car before collection has a 3 year warranty, whereas anything installed post first registration is only 1 year. I'd recommend that you confirm this with the dealer.
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Also worth adding that the arm rest is something I'd also recommend - easy enough to do yourself but think it really finishes off the cabin and worth the £270 cost for the parts at the least. Might be worth doing once received to avoid the added cost from a dealer.
I found some rubber mats from an auction site for about £30 which look brilliant - don't bother with the Honda versions as you pay over £120 for all of them! I can add photos and send a link via DM to any interested.

Have you considered going for an ex-demo as an alternative as well?
IMHO I think the E is way too overpriced comparatively when buying new even though I adore it and fits us nicely but given the range and rear space its a big ask when compared to rivals such as the Zoe, 500e, 208e etc. I literally searched the full Honda dealer list for 'used' Es and got an ex-demo w/ 1300 miles for just under £23k. I know the dealer nearest to me had a few Advance with the illumination pack for around £25.5k but I went further afield to get a deal. I'd also seen a then expired add for one at £22k near Edinburgh so deals are there.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Thanks again everyone - car is ordered! White, 16", brown leather, illumination pack and the armrest was an excellent suggestion. Highly doubt that there will be an identical car in the country, possibly the continent, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Hope to take delivery by the end of the month. Not sure exactly where it is coming from, as two weeks sounds really quick for a boat from Japan, but quite a long time if it's sitting somewhere in the UK.
londiniumperson

The car needs to be PDI'd by a trained EV technician (that was the excuse that I was given for the delay in collecting mine) and they probably only have one of these at each dealer. Don't forget that with exception of the Civic, every new car in the Honda range is either full electric or a hybrid, so that person can easily get booked up.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Good shout on the armrest, I find it turns the driving style to a slightly less engaged / more relaxed stance and much more akin to driving a larger saloon car (Reminds me of an old XJ6). Without it, i would probably not be driving quite so sedately (I bought the e to slow me down heh)
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Yay! Looking forward to seeing the pics - especially the brown leather seat irl picture please!! Didn't know it's only for the front though - I guess you can't see from outside since back windows are dark. Yes the armrest is brilliant addition, thanks to this forum. I'm currently waiting for the Drive recorder to be fitted next week, the last thing to do with my e...
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
bossjohnc

Post by bossjohnc »

I went for brown leather too, the rear headrests get leather, as do all the door cards.

The front seats have a strip of material on the side which goes over where the armrest would connect, so you won't find yourself having to cut through leather when it comes to fitting. Quite tempted by the armrest myself.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post