Navigation live traffic

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Hello, almost a week into my Honda e and so far enjoying the experience.
However I am not clear on the built in navigation system and have a few questions.
a) Does this system have live traffic information which shows upcoming areas of slow traffic or jams on the display?
b) If it does not have live traffic, can the navigation system really direct you on the fastest route, in which case how does it know the route to take, taking into consideration traffic jams?
c) Is it just useless and everyone uses Google or Apple maps, in which case which is the best option via Apple CarPlay?

One area of slight disappointment is that the info system, parking camera display etc seems to be someway behind that of my iDrive 7 on my BMW. I always thought that Japanese manufacturers would be class leading for car tech.

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Supposedly traffic data is delivered via the radio, I as yet have witnessed it apart from some oddly placed speed camera warnings?

Given that it is Garmin based they should allow it to use data from your phone like other Garmin satnavs
Ex e owner
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

So far I have not seen any heavy traffic info on the navigation during my limited use so far. Whereas when I switched to Apple and Google maps the heavy traffic areas were immediately shown.
I've raised the question to the dealer
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I would like to know more about the settings in the garmin satnav regarding live traffic too - it looks like 'providers' can be added? I expect this would be detailed live traffic with GPS level accuracy and detail of the severity.

Traffic alerts received by the RDS (Radio data system) are fairly poor. The protocol (last time i checked) only support very coarse data , limited to major junctions/sections only and again only 1 of 65,000 predefined locations so your journey may not even be covered, certainly not local roads.

Should time allow, i will investigate the garmin traffic options, there must be some kind of solution/hack to get a registered provider in there...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I drive to the same place for a lesson, same time on the same day of week.

I just set e's Sat Nav and leave it on left side, even though I know the route well. As mentioned it doesn't give me warning or advance choices like TomTom etc, but I noticed it gives me slightly different arriving time, even detour route (eg. getting off one earlier exit on A40) without any explanation once in a while. I'm not sure if it knows some information I don't... road work? traffic accident??? No way to check really, may be just being fickle? Just thought to mention it.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
GillesFR

Post by GillesFR »

No live traffic here in France. And no way to add or subscribe to any.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

This is what my settings is showing, nothing available.
Today I made a 50 mile round trip, whilst I could have both the Honda's sat nav on the display the same time as Apple maps, I was only able to set a destination in one or the other. Setting the same destination on the Honda's sat nav stopped Apple maps and visa versa.
Having used BMW's sat nav for the past 4 years and Tom Tom in my Citroen van, both of which I was satisfied with, I am not comfortable using Apple maps as I don't really know which route its taking me, nor how to change route preferences. Today it took me completely different routes to and from the destination, the criteria for each, I have no idea
If I am honest, paying £30K for a new small car and not having what looks to be an effective sat nav, kind of sucks

tempImagejsmJdo.gif

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

“No traffic subscription in this region” is what I have too. It’s really quite poor.

My 12 year old Passat still happily picks up TrafficMaster (or whatever it uses) data and integrates it into the in-built Nav. I don’t have to pay any subscription for it either.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I think we need to capture some data.

Myself
Not seen traffic work
Live North Dorset UK.
Mainly drive Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire.

If we get a resounding case of evidence that it isn't working maybe something needs enabling in the car that currently isn't.
Ex e owner
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

My dealer gave me an answer as per attached service bulletin. Still, I think its unacceptable and Honda should offer an alternative software/navigation system.
RDS-TMC Subscription.pdf
(72.82 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post