First service - any tips?

All Honda E related discussions
Isow

Post by Isow »

I’m sure that most people agree that the first service is a pointless, expensive,inconvenient exercise for most owners of a Honda e.
Honda must think that their customers are a cash cow.
Two year service intervals should be the standard.

RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Yes, I also think: it is only inspected – in the truest sense of the word, it is only looked at.
I sell it to myself like this: the vehicle is experimental in some ways. € 50/ £ 42 is OK (and they vacuumed the floor mats)....
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

RAL7004 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:46 pm Yes, I also think: it is only inspected – in the truest sense of the word, it is only looked at.
I sell it to myself like this: the vehicle is experimental in some ways. € 50/ £ 42 is OK (and they vacuumed the floor mats)....
If only it was €50, in the UK it's £175 for the first service.
Also no car wash or mat vacuum for mine.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
darrenj1

Post by darrenj1 »

Head's up, just had official service at honda, they were adamant that filter should not be changed as per their laptop application notes.

We had a discussion over the manual and service documents, he is going to replace it now.

Seems to be something amis here, but glad I pushed otherwise the service was just checking my brakes for £175
chrisr111

Post by chrisr111 »

I've just had my first service, it was less than £80 from my local Honda dealer.

Not sure what other people have been paying for???

I think some main dealers must be taking the proverbial....

Chris.
londiniumperson

chrisr111 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:23 pm I've just had my first service, it was less than £80 from my local Honda dealer.

Chris.
If Honda UK find out that the dealership is not charging the official 'Honda National Recommended Price' then they will be punished. How do I know this, well I told my dealer that another dealership were quoting £117 instead of the official £175 and would they price match, they emphatically said NO, then they contacted Honda UK and later advised me any Honda dealer offering servicing at a lower cost was against their dealership contract and action will be taken against them.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:56 pm
chrisr111 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:23 pm I've just had my first service, it was less than £80 from my local Honda dealer.

Chris.
If Honda UK find out that the dealership is not charging the official 'Honda National Recommended Price' then they will be punished. How do I know this, well I told my dealer that another dealership were quoting £117 instead of the official £175 and would they price match, they emphatically said NO, then they contacted Honda UK and later advised me any Honda dealer offering servicing at a lower cost was against their dealership contract and action will be taken against them.
I'm no lawyer, and completely believe that is what you were told, but I smell the strong scent of shenanigans. Considering you can't have your warranty cancelled for having servicing or repairs done at a third-party garage if the right parts are used, I find it hard to believe that Honda forcing their dealers to keep to the same price everywhere is ok. Is it illegal or price fixing? I have no idea, but I'd file it away as a convenient and possibly fishy excuse.

If, as I probably will be in about a year, am quoted £175 for a quick vacuum and plugging in an OBD-2 port, I'll probably have the same reaction as I did buying toothpaste recently. With a sigh I came to the conclusion that I'm buying the expensive tube for £5 even though I'm not fully convinced that it does anything more other than having a shinier label. And then the realisation that although I'm very grateful that I can afford it, I definitely don't earn enough not to be pissed off about it!
londiniumperson

ZoeDave wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm

Chris.
I'm no lawyer, and completely believe that is what you were told, but I smell the strong scent of shenanigans. Considering you can't have your warranty cancelled for having servicing or repairs done at a third-party garage if the right parts are used, I find it hard to believe that Honda forcing their dealers to keep to the same price everywhere is ok. Is it illegal or price fixing? I have no idea, but I'd file it away as a convenient and possibly fishy excuse.

If, as I probably will be in about a year, am quoted £175 for a quick vacuum and plugging in an OBD-2 port, I'll probably have the same reaction as I did buying toothpaste recently. With a sigh I came to the conclusion that I'm buying the expensive tube for £5 even though I'm not fully convinced that it does anything more other than having a shinier label. And then the realisation that although I'm very grateful that I can afford it, I definitely don't earn enough not to be pissed off about it!
The Honda enforced fixed pricing across the dealer network is a contractual part of them being allowed to be Honda dealers.

Price fixing of ALL servicing as well as used cars has always been standard operating practice since the invention of mass produced cars.
Why do you think used car prices have rocketed recently?
Yes there has been an issue with new car manufacture, however don't forget that used car sales completely stopped for many months and they want their money back by significantly increasing the profit of each car, so have restricted their stock pile of used cars onto the market and the industry openly encouraged ALL 2nd had car dealers at the beginning of the pandemic not to discount cars under any circumstance because once one dealer does it then it's like a stack of cards and a lot of them will end up out of business.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:42 pm
ZoeDave wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:21 pm

The Honda enforced fixed pricing across the dealer network is a contractual part of them being allowed to be Honda dealers.

Price fixing of ALL servicing as well as used cars has always been standard operating practice since the invention of mass produced cars.
Fair enough - If it's written into the franchise agreement I can understand, but it still doesn't seem right to me, especially if it's across a country with large variations in costs of living or doing business. Full disclosure, I'm in greater London, so expect and accept that my costs will be higher than the average.

After what you have said, I'll definitely be asking my dealer about servicing plans before I pick up my car!
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

car dealers - try to avoid them at all costs lol. They tried to sell me their own 5 years servicing plan for £600 despite admitting it needs hardly any servicing. I declined. Upon picking up the car (used demonstrator), he told me it probably already has the 5 year honda pack registered to it.

They don't do themselves any favours.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post