Ionity now has Plug&Charge across EU network

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Other than the typo in the article title, hopefully this new standard (ISO 15118) will take off with car manufacturers for UK cars. If it does, then this will be one feature that will be top of my list for my next EV.

PS There's no way in hell that Honda will ever retrofit this to the e.

Link to the article:
https://www.electrive.com/2021/10/12/io ... u-network/
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Fastned has also been doing this for a while. When I plug in, the charging station recognises my car and the rest goes automatically. I don't have to do anything anymore. Can leave it until car is full, or stop earlier and do that either with Fastned's App or at the charging station. Quite easy.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I *think* the Fastned system uses number plate recognition - at least in part - but the Ionity solution is entirely based on handshake communications from car to charger on ID etc.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

fair enough Londinium, Honda might be rather reticent to adopt a.n.other originated software - but if they want to survive as a company they obviously will have to. (Their aircraft need to do so with knobs on...) So why shouldn't they upload the software to existing e's even if to 'beta-tester' volunteers (like us)? If it's good enough and prospectively a new de-facto market standard, they'd be stupid not to at least try it; it's gonna happen anyway. And the e:progress via an s+ charger i think does something similar, maybe? Perhaps some news on that side of things (v) soon, methinks... atb ttp
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

MattHero wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:54 pm I *think* the Fastned system uses number plate recognition - at least in part - but the Ionity solution is entirely based on handshake communications from car to charger on ID etc.
No, Fastned's charging stations recognise the car when you connect it. The station communicates with the car. Unlike when you connect to a random charging station. You have to enter it once in the app and, and of course, give your approval (also for the financial settlement). So it seems to be the same, but Fastned was (much) earlier. 😎
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

The Fastned Autochange feature info is here:
https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/art ... 1634378872
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current