Range anxiety? Maybe we should take a leaf out of Formula E

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I just watched the final of round 1 of the Diriyah E-Prix (Saudi Arabia) ABB FIA Formula E Championship.
Even if we had accurate data of the Honda e battery charge state I don't think that I'd run it to the wire likes these drivers do.
This is their battery SoC as the winner passed the finish line, I think these stats are fairly accurate because last year a race had an extra lap which the teams weren't aware of and a lot of the drivers ran out of juice a lap early:

FormulaE.png

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

scotty c

Post by scotty c »

ive got down to 0% 3 times now
pk87

Post by pk87 »

I have checked what is the state at 10% and it's 6 kWh and based on this I assume that in Honda case 0% would be 3.5 kWh
londiniumperson

pk87 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:27 am I have checked what is the state at 10% and it's 6 kWh and based on this I assume that in Honda case 0% would be 3.5 kWh
How did you find out that 10%=6kWh, as far as I was aware there’s no way to access this data?
Also if this is factually accurate then you cannot make any assumption of how much is left at 0% because the scale cannot be linear, otherwise 100%=60kWh which is the one thing that we all know is not true.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Its impressive how they manage the battery, however if this series is supposed to be a test bed of innovation which eventually will trickle down to road cars, then perhaps they should increase the race distance and introduce recharging during the race, especially a "splash and dash", that should one day help to improve the public charging experience.
Hopefully they won't follow the current state of chargers and have to queue up behind one another
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

FMIB, Londiumpersion; yeah, FE is very interesting. Perhaps, as you mention fmib, the race distance could be say 20% longer than the nominal electrical energy allowed to be stored onboard at the start of the race; charging to make-up the deficit could be per tyre pits, i.e. as tactically determined. The 'pits' would need to be round the back of a Holiday Inn, or maybe the Harvester, or maybe a supermarket. Uncovered, unlit, surrounded by shrubbery and used condoms, with a time-based random number generator to take them out-of-service unexpectedly. And of course, several iced positions taken by petrolhead F1's (who are also on the same circuit at the same time but are hogging the charger for their 2kWh supercapacitors....
Yep, things might improve, then!

atb - ttp

p.s. strewth, that window thing is really annoying, isn't it!
pk87

Post by pk87 »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:52 pm
pk87 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:27 am I have checked what is the state at 10% and it's 6 kWh and based on this I assume that in Honda case 0% would be 3.5 kWh
How did you find out that 10%=6kWh, as far as I was aware there’s no way to access this data?
Also if this is factually accurate then you cannot make any assumption of how much is left at 0% because the scale cannot be linear, otherwise 100%=60kWh which is the one thing that we all know is not true.
PCC has this info in the app and this is a reading when I arrived at the charger.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

turntoport wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:31 pm FMIB, Londiumpersion; yeah, FE is very interesting. Perhaps, as you mention fmib, the race distance could be say 20% longer than the nominal electrical energy allowed to be stored onboard at the start of the race; charging to make-up the deficit could be per tyre pits, i.e. as tactically determined. The 'pits' would need to be round the back of a Holiday Inn, or maybe the Harvester, or maybe a supermarket. Uncovered, unlit, surrounded by shrubbery and used condoms, with a time-based random number generator to take them out-of-service unexpectedly. And of course, several iced positions taken by petrolhead F1's (who are also on the same circuit at the same time but are hogging the charger for their 2kWh supercapacitors....
Yep, things might improve, then!

atb - ttp

p.s. strewth, that window thing is really annoying, isn't it!
I think you have covered most of the things to bring some sort of reality to the sport. You missed out charging etiquette, a video explains and discusses in case anyone has not seen it.
londiniumperson

FMIB wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:55 pm Its impressive how they manage the battery, however if this series is supposed to be a test bed of innovation which eventually will trickle down to road cars, then perhaps they should increase the race distance and introduce recharging during the race, especially a "splash and dash", that should one day help to improve the public charging experience.
Hopefully they won't follow the current state of chargers and have to queue up behind one another
This is what they should do
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

That must be a spoof, surely?
Can people be that stupid??

thanks (?!), Londiniumperson, and atb - ttp

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views