Wireless smartphone chargers

The place to discuss everything else..
Steinninn

Post by Steinninn »

I just bought an E yesterday. I'm wondering what kind of setup I should have for charging my smartphone while driving. On my previews car I had it mounted on the window so I could make calls and use Google maps, but now that I have Android Auto I don't need it on the window anymore. I'd like to lay it down similar to how Tesla does it, but don't see an obvious placements.

Please attach pictures of your setup if you can :) :)

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Try using the forum search in future but as a starter you can see my related topic here (yes I know you have an Android device, but this could be helpful):
Apple MagSafe Charger Installation

However how about an intro of you and/or your new arrival?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Steinninn

Post by Steinninn »

I actually did search, all I found was wireless connection with Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

I have a 2020 Honda E Standard. It's blue, I would have preferred white, but blue is my second favorite of the five. My first EV after many years of dreaming, ever since the Smart was suppose to be electric (was that in 1999 or something?).

The magsafe setup you have is very nice. Hope to find a solution for Android as well. Probably won't look that clean unless I charge it with a wire.
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I have no experience with the Android ecosystem but I suspect to get something as neat and nondestructive as londiniumperson's solution you might need to look if there is a company that does a case/car charger kit. But then there is no guarantee that they would support your next phone. Important also to note that all wireless chargers are more inefficient than wired, and while the energy use is insignificant, the heat isn't, especially when in a car, possibly in full sun, doing wireless android auto duties as well. The phone shifting around could also make this worse. Apple's magsafe does partially reduce this though.

My solution is just to use a cable, and tuck the phone into the pocked under the power sockets. One thing I do make sure to do is to leave the end of the cable sitting in the middle of the passenger seat. That way if some hoodlum thinks about breaking a window, they should already know that they are only getting a cable!
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Android auto doesn't work reliably over wifi. I was fighting it for a couple of weeks before giving up. Get a short usb cable and chuck the phone into the pocket under the ports. It will work every single time, it is efficient, cheap and universal. Mind you, at home I am using only wireless chargers, but the fuss it takes to make it work in Honda is not worth the second of inconvinience plugging the cable in.

Almost reverting back to locking / unlocking the car with the remote. The touch sensors on the handles are yet another place where there is more fuss than needed. Gently petting the handle every time I want it to get locked / unlocked gets old very quickly :D