Volkswagen ID.2 - What a 2nd gen Honda e could have been?

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

If the Honda senior execs hadn't had been so blinkered on their insistent that BEV's were doomed to fail and only hybrids could exist in the future, do you think that they could have beaten the Volkswagen ID.2 (due 2025) to market with a worthy facelifted or 2nd gen Honda e with a larger battery?

I certainly think so because it would be trivial (in the world of car manufacturing) to produce a Honda e with a 60+kWh battery.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:45 am I certainly think so because it would be trivial (in the world of car manufacturing) to produce a Honda e with a 60+kWh battery.
At what curb weight at current battery densities though? I'd ideally not want an e any heavier than it already is.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Hopefully someone knows the exact details but I think that the Honda e uses lithium iron chemistry batteries which I understand has a lower energy density than nickel-cobalt chemistry so it might be possible to fit a higher energy battery in place of the original with little change in weight.

Though that’s a moot point considering the lack of Honda e development.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
asjo

Post by asjo »

Are there any examples of new, or newish, electric cars that it has been possible purchase an upgraded battery from the manufacturer for?
Haaploos

Post by Haaploos »

asjo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:11 pm Are there any examples of new, or newish, electric cars that it has been possible purchase an upgraded battery from the manufacturer for?
Iirc there was some people that were able to upgrade the battery on their BMW i3s from the 60Ah to 96Ah. Cant remember if anyone said they upgraded to the 120Ah.
Modern steel advance 17"
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Haaploos wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:53 am
asjo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:11 pm Are there any examples of new, or newish, electric cars that it has been possible purchase an upgraded battery from the manufacturer for?
Iirc there was some people that were able to upgrade the battery on their BMW i3s from the 60Ah to 96Ah. Cant remember if anyone said they upgraded to the 120Ah.
Tesla also allowed it (even under warranty when the original size battery was no longer available) you had to pay to «unlock» the upgrade.

In the Netherlands there is a company that specializes in Leaf battery upgrades using original newer model batteries.

The latter was my hope for the E with another company stepping up with battery upgrades and trading the old one.
There is a market for it just like there is with rebuilding transmissions and engines, who gets there first will have a considerable advantage over competition just like tesla did with EVs in the first place.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post