How did the Fiat 500E squeeze a 42kWh battery but the E can only squeeze 35.5kWh?

The place to discuss everything else..
eread

Post by eread »

Somewhat of a rant post but I just realized that the Fiat 500E can squeeze a 42kwh battery into that dinky shape...that's good for 199 miles an even better range spot for some.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/402147/new-fiat-500e-debuts/

Also found this from a YT video, doesn't include the Fiat 500E however

Of course, the motor seems to be less powerful at only 118bhp but the fact they managed to squeeze a slightly bigger battery into it over the E makes me big time sad. I really hope the E does well and many people buy and support it and the next generation of the E (if renewed) gets a slight battery increase maybe some weight shaved off. I really want to test drive one to really see/feel how it drives. Nobody wants a fiat 500 :lol:

Rei

Post by Rei »

I don't think size is the issue, they just picked that size because of cost and availability. I don't know who makes the battery but it seems to be the same one used by Mazda, it's not a Honda part.
eread

Post by eread »

Rei wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:10 pm I don't think size is the issue, they just picked that size because of cost and availability. I don't know who makes the battery but it seems to be the same one used by Mazda, it's not a Honda part.
That's rather interesting didn't know about that. I wonder if it's the same battery used in the new MAZDA MX-30 electric? There's always hope for the next generation (providing the first-gen E sells well) to have a bumped-up battery.
Rei

Post by Rei »

eread wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 am
Rei wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:10 pm I don't think size is the issue, they just picked that size because of cost and availability. I don't know who makes the battery but it seems to be the same one used by Mazda, it's not a Honda part.
That's rather interesting didn't know about that. I wonder if it's the same battery used in the new MAZDA MX-30 electric? There's always hope for the next generation (providing the first-gen E sells well) to have a bumped-up battery.
I think it is the same battery. I can't find any info on who makes it but it's probably Sanyo, which is part of Panasonic now, who also make the batteries used in Tesla vehicles.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post