If the Honda E wasn't available what other car would you choose?

The place to discuss everything else..
Rei

Post by Rei »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:01 pm I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned a Tesla, of which I am seriously considering a model 3.
I thought about it too but then I tried one. It's way too small, really low down and hard to get in and out of. I like taller cars that are comfortable.

The other thing is the base model is £10k more than the Advance and 2x the price of a Leaf 40. You can get a Leaf 62 for around 30k and a Kona or Niro with better range and size than a Model 3 for around 33k. Unless you do really long trips on a regular basis it's not worth spending tens of thousands just to get access to superchargers, especially when other networks are decent now and improving fast.

I had a Leaf 24 and 30 and never had issues with occasional longer trips so for me the Model 3 is just way over-priced and it just isn't that good of a car. Lots of hype but when you try one out and be objective about it... Well it's like an iPhone, looks different outside the shiny Apple Store bubble. Saying that I don't think the Model 3 looks all that good anyway.

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

I am not surprised the Tesla 3 wasn’t mentioned. It’s in a completely different market segment - like a Merc C Class being considered along side a Mini Cooper S
Don’t get me wrong, I think the Tesla 3 is a well engineered vehicle, I just don’t think it looks very good, it’s way to big for my needs (not sure it would fit in the garage) and a new one starts at £44k (not sure if that excludes the gov grant)
The Performance model would be on my money no object list. Or thinking about it, the Model Y Performance
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Joolsdc wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:27 pm I am not surprised the Tesla 3 wasn’t mentioned. It’s in a completely different market segment - like a Merc C Class being considered along side a Mini Cooper S
Don’t get me wrong, I think the Tesla 3 is a well engineered vehicle, I just don’t think it looks very good, it’s way to big for my needs (not sure it would fit in the garage) and a new one starts at £44k (not sure if that excludes the gov grant)
The Performance model would be on my money no object list. Or thinking about it, the Model Y Performance
The base Model 3 is £40,490 with the £3000 Plug-In Car Grant.

Yes it is a different size of car, however tech wise the Honda e is it's nearest competitor irrespective of cost.
Also the additional range makes it better value with double the range at only a 1/3 more cost than the Honda.

Therefore for me they are direct competitors. I've not driven either but I'm sure that I'd be happy to live on a day to day basis with either & I'm seriously considering the Tesla if my wife ends up using the Honda when I get it.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

Rei wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:14 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:01 pm I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned a Tesla, of which I am seriously considering a model 3.
I thought about it too but then I tried one. It's way too small, really low down and hard to get in and out of. I like taller cars that are comfortable.

The other thing is the base model is £10k more than the Advance and 2x the price of a Leaf 40. You can get a Leaf 62 for around 30k and a Kona or Niro with better range and size than a Model 3 for around 33k. Unless you do really long trips on a regular basis it's not worth spending tens of thousands just to get access to superchargers, especially when other networks are decent now and improving fast.

I had a Leaf 24 and 30 and never had issues with occasional longer trips so for me the Model 3 is just way over-priced and it just isn't that good of a car. Lots of hype but when you try one out and be objective about it... Well it's like an iPhone, looks different outside the shiny Apple Store bubble. Saying that I don't think the Model 3 looks all that good anyway.
Some fair comments there, though I can't see how you can complain that the Model 3 is 'way too small' when comparing it to the Honda e which is significantly smaller inside & out.
As for looks, I also agree that the exterior of the Model 3 is rather bland unlike the Honda, but then again when driving, the interior is a far more important factor because you don't watch from the outside whilst driving it.
londiniumperson

iHansz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 pm "I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned a Tesla, of which I am seriously considering a model 3." For me that has everything to do with the founder of Tesla. The technology and software are the best at Tesla, is beyond dispute. :geek:
I'm assuming that you mean Elon, yes he is a controversial character & I don't agree with all of his views, however on balance I'd be happy to purchase a Tesla.
Rei

Post by Rei »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Some fair comments there, though I can't see how you can complain that the Model 3 is 'way too small' when comparing it to the Honda e which is significantly smaller inside & out.
As for looks, I also agree that the exterior of the Model 3 is rather bland unlike the Honda, but then again when driving, the interior is a far more important factor because you don't watch from the outside whilst driving it.
Have you sat in a Model 3? It's very low and cramped, hard to get in and out of. You sit in a recumbent position, not upright like the Honda or other taller cars.
londiniumperson

Rei wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:48 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Have you sat in a Model 3? It's very low and cramped, hard to get in and out of. You sit in a recumbent position, not upright like the Honda or other taller cars.
No I've not sat in a Model 3. Seat height is of no issue to me personally seeing as I own an R53 Mini Cooper S & set the seat & steering wheel at the lowest setting. The only issue that I've had accessing/exiting a car was that of a Lotus Exige & with the correct technique & practice, it's a doddle.

I've had a look and the height of an M3 is 1443 mm compared to the E at 1512mm, so 69mm higher which is not a lot.
Also I've had a look at some forums & videos and like almost every new car, the seat can easily be adjusted with many options including the choice to have the backrest upright or reclined. Some owners state that they like it upright with a high seat base, others lower with a reclined back.

Did you know that the M3 has an Easy-Entry setting which you can use to set the seat at any setting, most likely the highest setting & forward a bit along with the steering wheel completely in and up to make entry & exit easier?

You may have issues getting in & out of cars, not everyone does.
Everyone has their own requirements, preferences, likes & dislikes.
You don't like the Model 3, whereas I do; also I like the Honda e & lots of other vehicles.
Rei

Post by Rei »

I did try easy entry but it wasn't much help. 7cm doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference.

I think the Model 3 is just an awkward shape. Definitely try it before buying it.
kbjpick

Post by kbjpick »

Taycan
Polestar 2
Tesla 3 Performance
ID.3
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Has anyone else seen the MG 5 EV? I know it’s OT since it’s not a comparable alternative, more an entire new category. If they can somehow squeeze a rear motor in it, to make it AWD and twice the power (It’s currently FWD only at about 100 kW), it would definitely get me out of my R36 (is practically looks exactly like a Passat estate anyway!)

It’s a hell of a lot more space and range for less money than the e.

For me, an estate is a really welcome addition to the EV world, when even Nissan’s new offering is yet another chuffing SUV.

Oh and the Polestar 2 desperately needs an estate version, after all, isn’t that what Volvo are famous for?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post