If the Honda E wasn't available what other car would you choose?

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

rickwookie wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 am Has anyone else seen the MG 5 EV? I know it’s OT since it’s not a comparable alternative, more an entire new category. If they can somehow squeeze a rear motor in it, to make it AWD and twice the power (It’s currently FWD only at about 100 kW), it would definitely get me out of my R36 (is practically looks exactly like a Passat estate anyway!)

It’s a hell of a lot more space and range for less money than the e.

For me, an estate is a really welcome addition to the EV world, when even Nissan’s new offering is yet another chuffing SUV.

Oh and the Polestar 2 desperately needs an estate version, after all, isn’t that what Volvo are famous for?
You're trying to wind me up aren't you😜?

The MG5 is not an new category, it's an estate car.
Not surprisingly it looks like the Passat, that because it's built with VW parts as SAIC own both VW & MG.

It's cheaper for a reason, go and have a look & drive of the ZS EV, it'll soon become apparent to you. However if you're one of those people that likes the MG then good for you, and go buy one.

As for the for a second motor comment, where did that come from? Might as well say 'make a car run on water and I'll buy one'!
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I probably wouldn’t choose.

The Honda e is the first electric car I’ve driven that has had me wanting to make the switch now. If not for the Honda e, I’d most likely keep driving my 2002 Volvo S60 while waiting for something I’d actually want to own.
londiniumperson

Sousaphone wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:45 am I probably wouldn’t choose.

The Honda e is the first electric car I’ve driven that has had me wanting to make the switch now. If not for the Honda e, I’d most likely keep driving my 2002 Volvo S60 while waiting for something I’d actually want to own.
Looks like we're singing from the same hymn sheet, currently I'm daily driving a 2003 Mini Cooper S and also for me the Honda e is the only EV that I'm willing to replace it with.
Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

The Suzuki Jimny when they "electrify" it!
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:00 am You're trying to wind me up aren't you😜?

*new category in the EV market
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:00 am As for the for a second motor comment, where did that come from? Might as well say 'make a car run on water and I'll buy one'!
Yes, just like a car that runs on water... because no car is available in both single and dual motor options, and VW added AWD to the Passat (squeezing in the Haldex system) using pure witchcraft. In all seriousness, if the MG5 is Passat based, a rear motor surely doesn't take up much more space than a rear diff. As for the power bump, MG UK are already touting the UK car with more power than the Roewe Ei5 (115 kW vs 86 kW)
londiniumperson

rickwookie wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:55 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:00 am You're trying to wind me up aren't you😜?

*new category in the EV market
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:00 am As for the for a second motor comment, where did that come from? Might as well say 'make a car run on water and I'll buy one'!
Yes, just like a car that runs on water... because no car is available in both single and dual motor options, and VW added AWD to the Passat (squeezing in the Haldex system) using pure witchcraft. In all seriousness, if the MG5 is Passat based, a rear motor surely doesn't take up much more space than a rear diff. As for the power bump, MG UK are already touting the UK car with more power than the Roewe Ei5 (115 kW vs 86 kW)
How about a Model 3, available in single & dual motor?
bogga

Post by bogga »

Cybertruck Dual Motor - okay, so it's not out yet...
ilscoupe

Post by ilscoupe »

With the growing list of disappointments, The Honda E has become a "Gateway BEV" for me - it hyped my interest and my family's interest in BEV's, but ultimately, the number of sacrifices and disappointments have led me away from it, and I've refunded my deposit.

I have kept finding things out that eroded my commitment:

Room in the back, looks tight, but it's ok, it's more than my Integra ever had
Speed - not as quick as the mini or Leaf, but it is rear wheel drive
Rear wheel drive - hmm ok doesn't look like you can drift it after all, but hey it is rear wheel drive
Range - disappointing, but hey it charges fast
Charging - disappointing current draw and actually not fast, but hey it's google android internally
Android - isn't actually linked to the car, and you can't install normal apps ? its just a locked down tablet?* but hey, it's got HDMI input
HDMI - actually only available when stationary, but hey, it's got no side mirrors
side cams, yeah they're cool. And so is birds eye view. And the turning circle. And it's still definitely the cutest car you can buy.

All in all, it's really cute, great city features. But my weekend drives are around 100 miles at 60mph with 4 of us in the car, and there's just not enough 50kW chargers near me nor quite enough range to cut it - so I'd have to keep it on the drive at weekends and revert to the diesel civic second car. Leaving it sitting on my drive when I wanted to drive it would kill me.. :(

But the good news is, everyone in the family has now decided we need a BEV, so we've extended the finances by an extra 10 grand... and got a Model 3 ordered for Autumn. Hoping that by the time Honda sort the battery / charge load right I can buy it as a second car.

* - it's my understanding looking at the manual, that you can sideload only Honda approved apps via USB, and its not linked to car, so you can say "Ok Honda, how many days until christmas" or "Ok Honda, where is the nearest cinema", but you can't say "Ok Honda, open drivers window" or "Ok Honda, Initiate sport mode" - things I really was looking forward to having

- obviously my thoughts here are my own. I'm very happy for you if my own subjective reasons for dismissing it are irrelevant for you.

Happy Driving and when I see you on the road in one I will definitely still have a pang of envy !

~coop~
londiniumperson

ilscoupe wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:27 pm With the growing list of disappointments, The Honda E has become a "Gateway BEV" for me - it hyped my interest and my family's interest in BEV's, but ultimately, the number of sacrifices and disappointments have led me away from it, and I've refunded my deposit.

I have kept finding things out that eroded my commitment:

Room in the back, looks tight, but it's ok, it's more than my Integra ever had
Speed - not as quick as the mini or Leaf, but it is rear wheel drive
Rear wheel drive - hmm ok doesn't look like you can drift it after all, but hey it is rear wheel drive
Range - disappointing, but hey it charges fast
Charging - disappointing current draw and actually not fast, but hey it's google android internally
Android - isn't actually linked to the car, and you can't install normal apps ? its just a locked down tablet?* but hey, it's got HDMI input
HDMI - actually only available when stationary, but hey, it's got no side mirrors
side cams, yeah they're cool. And so is birds eye view. And the turning circle. And it's still definitely the cutest car you can buy.

All in all, it's really cute, great city features. But my weekend drives are around 100 miles at 60mph with 4 of us in the car, and there's just not enough 50kW chargers near me nor quite enough range to cut it - so I'd have to keep it on the drive at weekends and revert to the diesel civic second car. Leaving it sitting on my drive when I wanted to drive it would kill me.. :(

But the good news is, everyone in the family has now decided we need a BEV, so we've extended the finances by an extra 10 grand... and got a Model 3 ordered for Autumn. Hoping that by the time Honda sort the battery / charge load right I can buy it as a second car.

* - it's my understanding looking at the manual, that you can sideload only Honda approved apps via USB, and its not linked to car, so you can say "Ok Honda, how many days until christmas" or "Ok Honda, where is the nearest cinema", but you can't say "Ok Honda, open drivers window" or "Ok Honda, Initiate sport mode" - things I really was looking forward to having

- obviously my thoughts here are my own. I'm very happy for you if my own subjective reasons for dismissing it are irrelevant for you.

Happy Driving and when I see you on the road in one I will definitely still have a pang of envy !

~coop~
It looks like you've found your ideal BEV - a Tesla, in which case the Honda was never going to work for you.

I was going to ask which colour you'd order, because there they'd have been a car up for grabs at a dealer but just realised that you hadn't ordered at all by your deposit refund comment.

The Honda e is no Tesla that's for sure, what made you think it was?
Of all of your reasons stated, only the charging is one that holds any water, all of the others were well known before the reservervatons opened in May last year or obvious.
ilscoupe

Post by ilscoupe »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:39 pm
The Honda e is no Tesla that's for sure, what made you think it was?
I really hoped I could do a 100 mile round trip without charge - I thought that was possible with the WLTP figure quoted. The thing that made me jump was looking a bit further as to what made sense for me : do I swap out my (relatively) frugal diesel on my daily commute, or do I dig deeper into the bank and swap out the family car instead (which of course does more miles / more CO2). Definitely will consider it as the second car in a few years when I've paid off this Tesla loan...

P.s. I was going to go Black Honda E Advance, standard wood trim (although bronze looks neat), with 16" wheels, and then stick a streetfighter E.Honda decal on the back =D

Will Probably go for Blue Model 3 given the issues with the black paint (?seems to scratch a lot), and stick a Falcon DeLacy / Cobra Mk3 decal on it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post