Green number plates get the green light for a zero-emission future

The place to discuss everything else..
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Green number plates are set to be rolled out in the UK from autumn, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps confirmed today (16 June 2020), under plans to drive a green economic recovery.

As part of the government’s plans to achieve net zero emissions by 2050, drivers will be encouraged to make the switch to electric vehicles through the introduction of green number plates. The plates will make it easier for cars to be identified as zero emission vehicles, helping local authorities design and put in place new policies to incentivise people to own and drive them.

For example, drivers could benefit from local initiatives such as cheaper parking and cost-free entry into zero-emission zones where those with a green number plate will be recognised as eligible.

The plates will be identifiable by a green flash on the left-hand side and will be available for zero emission vehicles only.

1-green-front-and-rear-number-plates.jpg

What do you think?

tcg68

Post by tcg68 »

I think it is a great idea, but time will tell what incentives local authorities will provide for those with fully electric vehicles.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Interesting - is there no distinguishing feature on the number plates of electric cars in the UK so far?
In Germany, electrically powered vehicles (but also plug-in hybrids) can be recognised by an "E" at the end of the given number...

I like green marks...
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Where should they place the European flag now..? ;)

Just kidding, no offence.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
eread

Post by eread »

From all 3 concepts that I saw I'd rather have a FULLY green number plate (leaving room to slap something still on the left, GB badge anything else) not to mention having a fully green number plate would look way better than a green dot or green square and something to brag about in the pub. :lol:

Sad update

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post