Public charging UK question

The place to discuss everything else..
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

I signed up to Polar Plus back in 2015, and am still a member. It made more sense back then, as the £7.85 monthly fee (which hasn't increase yet) gave you unlimited access, and virtually all their charge points were free, including their 50kWh Ultrachsrgers. You also used to be able to borrow one of their fleet of EVs for the best part of a week, in exchange for points accumulated while charging. I was able to borrow a Model S, Model X, i8, i3 and an e-Golf under this scheme, which would have cost thousands to rent otherwise.

Then they started introducing per-kWh charges, initially in Central London, and many of the new Ultrachsrgers were reserved for taxi use only. Annoyingly, the charges were introduced without notification, so unless you checked their (dreadful) app each time, the first you heard of it was when the monthly invoice came through.

The loan car scheme is long gone, and I don't think there are any free Ultrachsrgers left now, but there are still a few 7 kW ones around the outskirts of London and at some supermarkets (and perhaps elsewhere), which I still use occasionally.

dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

Incidentally, I was also signed up to Pod Point, Source London and Ecotricity initially, but I found the Pod Point chargers in Westminster to be very unreliable, and they'd stay broken for months on end despite my logging several reports, so I gave up using them. I've only used Ecotricity twice, when I needed an emergency charge.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Swarco: a new name to me.
Came across a Rapid Charger in Wincanton today. Although I was on my e-bike.
Not sure I will be Signing Up to use @ 36p per kWh!

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 13.39.54.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 13.40.37.png

C5317981-8D9E-4BB5-AA08-F84203FDCCCD.jpeg

4CB599EA-2552-4BA0-B3E8-4D9443922405.jpeg

556590FA-2A1D-4F75-80B3-5D4D72953DDF.jpeg

Last edited by advance2020 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Bit of a desert charger wise in this location, I live in Gillingham we have a massive number of two 7kw chargers at Asda!, There is also Hill brush factory cafe at Mere. Not sure I'll be public charging anytime soon unless branching further afield by ev. The south west route considering the 303 is a major trunk road is poorly served, given the volume of traffic it handles it needs some serious investment charging wise.
Ex e owner
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

A General note about Chargers in SW England

Although I assume most of us are using ZapMap to locate suitable chargers, you can get "too much" information, even if you use filters etc.
Hopefully the info on ZapMap is up to date, esp. whether Chargers are Available and have been working recently. But not all Charging Points listed are in public spaces. Some are for members, staff etc. So I have created a list of my Favourites in my local area, so I can add notes etc.

EV Charging Points South West
This a Public List of Charge Points, which I have compiled on Google Maps. Mainly in Wiltshire, Dorset and Somerset, plus some in South Gloucestershire. This includes location shots, info on parking Charges where applicable, and Network types, and images of Instructions for Use.

Others can add to this list, or maybe there are similar in different locations. Of course Google Maps already "maps" many Charger locations, so it's just a matter of adding more info, or updating their information, which I do as a Local Guide.

Hi milligoon - looks like you are on my doorstep
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

ChargeYourCar: a rant
Recently downloaded this App, signed up, Registered and added Debit Card. In preparation for my planned Day Out to the Edge of my World today. It seems that Charge Your Charge is owned by BP Chargemaster, as are Polar. This should have given me a clue. Perhaps it's a deliberate strategy by BP to screw up the UKs Charging Networks, so we revert to Fossil.

There is one of their ChargePoints in Lyme Regis, although feedback on ZapMap said it was not working, and it does not appear on the ChargeYourCar app when you Search. Not even if you input the Site Number. Neither does anyone answer the phone on the 24/7 Helpline.

The Chargepoint in Bridport does work. Although an Audi e-tron and a Leaf beat us to the limited 2 Bays. No matter we PluggedIn after lunch, and then walked around the town.

The App though has a mind of its own. It was still telling me the socket I was plugged into and charging my car was “free to use”. And then when we returned, and wanted to Finish the Charge, the App refused to believe the internet was available in Bridport. So I actually used MyHonda+ to end the Charge. But still ChargeYourCar said I was charging. And still when we were in Yeovil. And still when we got home and had WiFi. After several attempts and reloads of the App it acknowledge the Charge had finished. With a minimum charge of £4 and then a charge of £12 after an hour, I am not sure it was worth the hassle. Yet to get a Debit on my card, fingers crossed, or I will have to buy BP shares (against my principles).

We could have made it back to Yeovil, and topped up for free at Tesco. 107 miles today AVG 4.1m/kWh 99% to 25% - plus short charge in Bridport 49% to 61% I think - so thats 86% And that was despite pushing the car rather hard along a stretch of the A303. Was pleasantly surprised that the car can still Pull Ahead between 70-90

On reflection, yesterdays outing confirmed that we won't be "testing the range" of our 'e' again any time soon. I guess the weather was to blame, but the traffic at times, was as though it was a Bank Holiday. And although ACC is a bonus in slow moving traffic, being sat in any car for long periods is not a joy. I guess we are lucky living where we do, but knowing how to avoid the crowds has now become even more essential.

2C8AF0AB-2003-4858-A227-9BE9BD583461.jpeg

0448C65C-1DBF-41BE-8C42-E9D7779C71AB.jpeg

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post