Public charging UK question

The place to discuss everything else..
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

Hello,

Soon I’ll be taking delivery of my first ever EV, and I wonder what the best options are for charging in the UK in case of road trips. In Northern Ireland there is EcarNI which offers free charging (for now). The same network is available in the Republic of Ireland, but this isn’t free any longer. However, one can use the same app or RFID card.

How does it work in the rest of the UK? Ideally just by CC/ contactless so I don’t have to sign up to a dozen providers to get from A to B.

I am planning a road trip through Scotland first.

Thanks for any advice.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'd recommend EVM's (some love him, others hate him) 'A guide to electric car charging networks (UK)', even though it is almost 2 years old it is still relevant:
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:43 am I'd recommend EVM's (some love him, others hate him) 'A guide to electric car charging networks (UK)', even though it is almost 2 years old it is still relevant:
Thanks. I think I watched it when it was released, but will watch it again. I also checked out Podpoint and Chargemaster. Instavolt seems the easiest and how it should be: No app or sign up.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

“Only drivers who have a UK bank account and live in the UK are eligible to order an access card. If you are visiting Scotland and need to start a charge, please contact our helpline to remotely start a charge when your vehicle is connected to the charge point.”

Now that is not consumer friendly. The EV charging market really needs to sort itself out. Contactless payments should be available at all charge points just like with petrol stations. No app, no phonenumber and no rfid card or keyfob.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Zapmap has a filter for bank card payment -see if those charger locations will fit your needs.
Ex e owner
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

milligoon wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am Zapmap has a filter for bank card payment -see if those charger locations will fit your needs.
It’s fine for me, but in general these things should improve. Especially for tourists.
It’s just a matter of time I guess.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I have signed up with Pod Point and loaded £10 just in case - I'm mainly using it for free Fast charges at Tesco.
Have also signed up with Polar Instant (not Plus, as it has a monthly charge). I might use Plus, if and when we set off to tour UK next year maybe.
Think it is best to 'be prepared' rather than trying to Sign Up and Register on the road.
Yet to use a Genie Point, which Morrisons have installed. These are Rapid Chargers. Pay as you Go.

Also agree EVM is worth viewing, maybe prompt him to update.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Don't know how much I'll use it, but getting a Shell Recharge card might be worth it? It's free, it's an RFID card that works across networks (Inc Ionity) with a single point of billing.

In theory, for my big trips that require public charging stops, this card *should* cover me entirely.

EDIT: actually, that last bit isn't accurate. I'll need to probably use Instavolt near my family, but that's contactless.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've not yet paid for a card or subscription.
This is my list so far (overkill, yes but at least I'm prepared) they are all free to sign up to, some have an app, others a free card. As most of us know Instavolt can be used with a contactless payment card:
Alfa Power
ChargeMap
ChargePoint
Ecotricity - Electric Highway
Franklin Energy
GeniePoint
Ionity
Maingau
NewMotion
PodPoint
Polar / ChargeMaster - Instant
Shell Recharge
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/2020/09 ... y-zap-map/

One worth watching, although for now it's just a single network and limited even within that network.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post