Back to ICE?

The place to discuss everything else..
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

There's a general feeling among the EV community that once you've owned an electric car, you won't want to go back to an ICE one. This is certainly true of me - once my e arrives I will have an all-electric fleet (excluding classics), having parted with my Fiat 124 Spider last month.( If there was a proper electric 2-seater sports car on the market I'd be sorely tempted, but the Smart ForTwo and Fiat 500 cabriolets don't really do it for me.)

So what does the panel think? Can you see yourself buying another purely petrol or diesel car as your daily driver in future, and if so, why?

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Totally agree dVb9
On both points.
My wife’s car is a Mini Countryman PHEV work about 18 months to go on the lease. This will be replaced by a full BEV
And I would really like an affordable EV sports car - Mazda MX-5 like
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

I appreciate the pleasure of EV driving, but I also appreciate the benefit og both petrol and diesel.
I love driving a proper lightweight manual NA ICE car. Had I not been for the political resistance and hence cost my next car would be an old school hot hatch.
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I can't see myself buying another ICE as a daily driver, not least because I intend to keep my 1998 Volvo V70 until petrol is downright illegal. However, I can see myself adding more classic ICE cars as a hobby at some point. To be fair, if someone were to introduce a not horrendously expensive BEV estate that could match the V70 for practicality, I'd probably relegate the V70 to classic car status and go fully BEV.

I rarely drive more than 50 km in a day, and most trips are less than 5 km, so it's not like my driving pattern fits an ICE particularly well...
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

dVb9: This is a tough one. Right now owning an ICE car for me works. To go to a performance BEV is totally cost prohibitive. I sometimes think about another ICE that's even faster but to be honest this one is more than capable of serious licence abuse if you continuously unleash it! So I'm thinking about keeping this one for some time to come. I've done less than 1000 miles in the last 6 months, so I'm hardly killing the planet with it! In fact we've done >700 miles in the Honda e in the last month, and of course it's new and grabbing attention. I probably won't buy another ICE car in the end, and hang on some years until an affordable BEV with fizz and serious range comes out. Right now, the combination of what we have in the family works very well.
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

Hopefully never again. Had to drive my old ICE car today and was shocked at how old fashion and laborious it was to drive.
Kept on trying to slow the car down by coming off the accelerator and finding I had to use the breaks!! :lol:
Adv. 16" Wheels
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

I’ve only been able to get away with buying the e because my wife has a regular petrol car. Her car is also larger, so it is the one we use for long journeys and family holidays anyway, which leaves the e for my commute and all local trips. So I could stay electric, but only because she has the petrol car there for long range and luggage capacity. Maybe by the time her car needs replacing there’ll be a decent second hand BEV option to replace it with, and more charging stations away from home for holidays.