Campaign Magazine not a fan of e launch marketing

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Remember that the readers/subscribers of Campaign Magazine are the Ad Agencies, who love big budget launches, esp. from large automotive groups like VW. Our TV screens are full of car ads, and program sponsors. Seat have sponsored drama on ITV for several years. Lots of hybrids and SUVs.

So initially I had expected to see the Honda e launch in the UK hit our screens. But it only happened on Social media, and that was limited to YouTube, not even twitter. They held our cars back, while they let the Journos watch & play. And to be fair, the Car press and vlog reviewers did a good job.
But of course Honda in Japan have only allowed a limited number of cars to be sold in the UK (and maybe the same applies in the EU).

And I assume that's because the Japanese are being cautious in these early years. The 'e' is not just an BEV it is quite a high tech car, with ACC etc. Audi had a lot of problems when they launched their e-Tron. Honda have had 3 years of publicity, and no doubt a strong pipeline demand from Reservations and Order deposits placed long ago. They don't really need to spend on a traditional (old method) expensive launch.

VW have already planned to only sell their cars online in future. Dealers will only be required to arrange fulfilment. Times are changing. And with Covid more so.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

advance2020 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:33 pm Remember that the readers/subscribers of Campaign Magazine are the Ad Agencies, who love big budget launches, esp. from large automotive groups like VW. Our TV screens are full of car ads, and program sponsors. Seat have sponsored drama on ITV for several years. Lots of hybrids and SUVs.

So initially I had expected to see the Honda e launch in the UK hit our screens. But it only happened on Social media, and that was limited to YouTube, not even twitter. They held our cars back, while they let the Journos watch & play. And to be fair, the Car press and vlog reviewers did a good job.
But of course Honda in Japan have only allowed a limited number of cars to be sold in the UK (and maybe the same applies in the EU).

And I assume that's because the Japanese are being cautious in these early years. The 'e' is not just an BEV it is quite a high tech car, with ACC etc. Audi had a lot of problems when they launched their e-Tron. Honda have had 3 years of publicity, and no doubt a strong pipeline demand from Reservations and Order deposits placed long ago. They don't really need to spend on a traditional (old method) expensive launch.

VW have already planned to only sell their cars online in future. Dealers will only be required to arrange fulfilment. Times are changing. And with Covid more so.
Maybe I dreamt it, but I'm sure that I saw a Honda e advert on a terrestrial TV channel a couple of months ago, from memory it was around June, which was the original rumoured delivery date of the first batch.

With the exception of Tesla, all new EVs have been & always will be handed out to wannabe YouTubers weeks/months before those who paid 18 months ago, it is the way of the new world, it's was no different with the MG ZS EV & VW ID.3 and it will continue for the foreseeable future.

As for demand in the UK, the Honda e only had approx 1000 reservations in total, whereas the ID.3 had 1500 in 48hrs, the Honda was always destined to be a niche car.

My understanding is that in the EU traditional car manufacturers are prohibited from in-person direct sales so anyone buying a new car is buying has to buy from a franchised dealership. The contracts that these franchises have signed up to mean that the manufacturers cannot sell online direct to customers to protect the franchisees. If you're wondering how Tesla get around this, well they don't have any franchises, all sales are online, the 'showrooms' are to display an example vehicle and to educate customers on the product, no sales take place there.
Therefore VW cannot currently sell online.

It's obvious that Honda e is a compliance car, same as the Skoda Citigo-e iV was, with the limited/restricted numbers.
Honda don't believe that EVs are what the public want, they were forced to create an EV and it appears that they allowed the designers free rein because what was the alternative?
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:48 pm It's obvious that Honda e is a compliance car, same as the Skoda Citigo-e iV was, with the limited/restricted numbers.
Honda don't believe that EVs are what the public want, they were forced to create an EV and it appears that they allowed the designers free rein because what was the alternative?
If Honda wanted a pure compliance car they would have just bunged batteries into a Jazz. Not created a bespoke vehicle.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

https://electrek.co/2019/03/05/honda-to ... rope-2025/
As Honda are not one of the big players, and a Follower rather than a Leader like Tesla, one can understand why hybrids are still in their mix, for now.

As for VW read this re. Online only
https://www.evnewsdaily.com/2020/05/23/ ... ld-online/
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

advance2020 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm https://electrek.co/2019/03/05/honda-to ... rope-2025/
As Honda are not one of the big players, and a Follower rather than a Leader like Tesla, one can understand why hybrids are still in their mix, for now.

As for VW read this re. Online only
https://www.evnewsdaily.com/2020/05/23/ ... ld-online/
I wonder if the UK franchises will follow suit and agree with online sales like Germany?
Volkswagen has announced that 100% of its retail partners have agreed to a new Tesla-like online sales model in Germany for its upcoming electric vehicle line.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current