The Great British Reserve

The place to discuss everything else..
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

So what REACTION, if any, do you see/hear, when driving, or parked up?

While driving, I have yet to see many people, perhaps a few, if driving slowly in town, even appear to notice my car. But then maybe it's hard to tell.
No-one has flashed their headlights. Some have come up close behind. You know, Golfs, BMWs etc.

But what I have noticed, when parked, is that it's the Younger Generation that seem most interested. One young boy on a bike, about 2yrs, gave very close inspection of my Gas Burner wheels, until Mum hauled him away. A Schoolboy in Sherborne, whipped out his phone for a capture. Some young boys on bikes, noticed and shouted. Some young couples in their 20's. But generally people might see, but don't seem that interested, or don't want to show it*

I have had a cyclist (we live on a National Cycle route, so there are lots of them) call out "that's a Honda e" to his mate, while passing my garage.
A lady in Bath enquired, whether "it was electric, cute car" but she was American, and to date only one old boy has stopped to chat and enquire about the car. And a young lad in Bruton, called to his Dad, "look at that dash" during the Summer, when we had all the windows down and were stationary, as they walked passed.

So what reactions are you getting, or seeing?

* Many years ago, we drove Overland from UK to Kenya. 5 months. Lots of miles. When we drove into a village, 3 Land Rovers in convoy, it was the youngest that ran up, and waved and shouted. And if you waved back, the older boys would wave, and then maybe some women. Seldom the men, esp. the older ones. I was told it was about fear. Whether we were friendly. Whether we would acknowledge them, if they waved first. Didn't wish to lose face.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Parked up at supermarket on Monday night, returned to find a couple taking photographs of it. As I approached the door handles popped which I think startled them, turns out they are big fans of the design and it was the first they'd seen in the flesh (I don't care a jot if someone takes a pics, I've done it myself when I've seen interesting vehicles), so I let them have a look around.

But had a lot of looks, thumbs up from lorry drivers (no, really... not the usual hand signals) and general interest. I just need to remember, it's not me. It's the bright yellow car :)
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

MattHero wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:13 pm Parked up at supermarket on Monday night, returned to find a couple taking photographs of it. As I approached the door handles popped which I think startled them, turns out they are big fans of the design and it was the first they'd seen in the flesh (I don't care a jot if someone takes a pics, I've done it myself when I've seen interesting vehicles), so I let them have a look around.

But had a lot of looks, thumbs up from lorry drivers (no, really... not the usual hand signals) and general interest. I just need to remember, it's not me. It's the bright yellow car :)
OK. Yes, Charge Yellow - one could hardly miss it, it's Electric :shock:
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

As I was returning the blue loaner e to the dealer to pick up my car for the first time, a man pulled alongside me and smiled and waved really vigorously. It was odd but nice.

Could be my imagination, but I think people on the motorway have pulled alongside me for a look, as they were passing and then slowed down.

Haven’t really taken it and parked it anywhere in public, at the moment with the whole pandemic I largely just drive to and from work - and everybody at work who is interested has already had a good look!
keithr

Post by keithr »

I only had the car for a few days when I had a couple come up just as I got out of the car in a small gravel car park where I was parking to go for a walk (forest and heath, out in the country). The guy knew about the car and said it was the first he had seen in real life rather than just pictures, and he started asking questions and talking about the car to his partner and pointing out the side cameras, etc.. His partner asked about the range (that's what everyone asks!) and was surprised that electric cars can go that far. I had a brief chat about it and then started my walk. It's been the only discsussion about the Honda e that I've had with strangers so far.

Maybe you would get more enquiries if using public chargers, so that people realise it's an electric car? I've not charged the car at a public charger yet, but I've had strangers start talking when I charged my Zero SR motorcycle, and I've only used a public charger 3 times so far - one was a motorcyclist, one a woman who was surprised that they made electric motorcycles as she had never seen one, and finally an elderly couple stopped for a chat.
Last edited by keithr on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Here in Berlin, the vehicle definitely attracts attention. There are often questions (someone even knocked on the window the other day to get some information). My wife didn't go back to the car recently as she had planned because there were a lot of people standing around and she feared long explanations.
On some days, hordes of car spotters linger on the Kurfürstendamm and even spotted our (black) Honda e. However, they didn't use their SLR cameras – they did use their cell phones ... I think that's something analogous to being nominated for a prize (which you don't get) ...
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've had a couple of neighbours ask about it, one who lives approx 100m away was walking past and we'd never met before in the 14 years that they've lived there.
Another time was a courier delivering a parcel commented about it because he's a Honda fan and owns a 90's coupe with a Type R engine.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Guy came over as I was returning to the car from Toolstation: “Could I have a look inside your car? I’ve seen loads of photos but never seen it in the flesh”.

Feels special.
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

Warning, what follows may well be the most middle class sentence ever written:

“The Ocado delivery man was particularly interested in my brand new electric car.”
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

On Friday I took a number of lead acid batteries to the local scrap merchant & the guys there were very intrigued & even took a couple of photos.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current